• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

Re: When was your first show? have a good story?

#239694 1 year, 7 months ago
My first GD show was Nassau Coliseum Halloween 79. First JGB show was Calderone Theater 2/29/80 early show.
These are the good old days!!
theotherone
Junior Boarder

#239695 1 year, 7 months ago
February, 1973 @ Univ of Illinois Assembly Hall...my freshman year @ U of I. 2 shows (one of which has been running on Sirius XM this week.)
No unusual story other than spent one of the nights leaning up against the stage right in front of Phil, feeling the Philbombs resonating in my chest.
Had a mild interest in the band at the time, but my older brother had always told me, "NEVER pass up a chance to see the Dead live".....came away from the show with a whole new outlook on things & never looked back.
Thanks again, Bro.

Next show seen was June 1974 Iowa Statte Fairgrounds in Des Moines....a 3-setter with the wall of sound.
Looking back I'm thankful for the four winds blowing me to such good things so early in the journey.
......While the Music Plays the Band.....
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#240303 1 year, 7 months ago
Not my 1st but my 4th show. We were sitting around reading Rollin Stone and an ad says Willie Nelson is having his 4th of July picnic at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City and the GD are on the bill. The only problem is we are in Bennington, VT and the only car we have is a 1964 Rambler with issues. I excitedly tell my mom about our plans to do the show and she says no you are not going...big fight ensues..I'm 18 I can go if I want to(you let me go to Englishtown last year)...mom says if you go you are moving out...I said fine and we were off on a 28 hour ride. The car is running fine but the reverse hasn't worked for months so if we needed to go back the driver would yell "reverse" and we would jump out and push it back. We get to KC the day before the show, hotel and sleep. Arrowhead has the largest lot I have ever seen and we are hangin out partying when this guy drives up in a golf cart and says "I wouldn't smoke that in front of a KC police officer" and my buddy Tom says how do we tell the difference between you and the police? The guy says I am a KC police officer, tom drops the j and says sorry, the guy drives off, crisis narrowly averted(we had a full kitbag). We then buy tickets in the lot and they are Ticketron tix but when we try to go in they tell us they are fake, ticketron didn't do the event and there are a hundred or so of us who are told to go to a different gate, they end up letting us all in for free. The crowd is a crazy mix of Deadheads and Cowboys, in fact I got a t-shirt, skull and roses but with a cowboy hat and scarf that says Deadheads and cowboys (still have it). However the combo of drunk cowboys and dosed heads was problematic because when I was in the bathroom this guy grabs me by the hair and holds my head under one of those large hand washers and has a good laugh, I escape cause he is loaded.

Now on to the show, I only saw one show where they did one set and this was it. They do some 1st set songs and then seemlessly starting with the Terrapin>Playin start doing longer jams and they are red hot this afternoon. They do Drumz but the crazy thing is Jerry doesn't leave and we are treated to about 10 cool minutes of stripped down just Jerry and the drummers.
Estimated>The Other One is everything we love about the GD. Willie opens and closes the show but the rain comes in and we go high up in the stadium and with eyes blazing we watch as the heat lightning comes at us. After the show we hop into the Rambler and drive striaght home and when we pull in my mom says...so when are you moving out and I say tomorrow and as I am walking my weary bones up the stairs she says " David you don't have to move out, I was just worried about you" at that point mom gets the biggest hug ever from me . thanks mom!

07-01-78 Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, Mo. (Sat)
Bertha> Good Lovin, Tennessee Jed, Jack Straw, FOTD, Me & My Uncle> Big River, Terrapin> Playin> Drumz> Estimated> Other One> Wharf Rat> Around E: Johnny B. Goode
also: Missouri; Waylon Jennings and Jesse Colter; Willie Nelson
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by dr bakes.
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds