• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
kevin
Platinum Boarder

Re: When was your first show? have a good story?

#238958 1 year, 6 months ago
A bus trip to the carrier dome in Syracuse 10-22-83, $35 for ticket and ride organized by an older hippie, great deal until the bus broke down 30 minutes into a 2 hr drive. My brother was 17, I was 16 and we had walked from home to where the bus picked us up. All the folks with cars were gettting rides in the back of a farmers pick up to the parking lot we departed from. Luckily, we had already made fast friends with the 4 college age folks seated behind us. We explained our predicament and of course were offered a ride. 6 of us packed into a buick century going as fast as we could running late for the show. We get on a shuttle bus to the Dome and proceed to buy doses from some dude on the shuttle (my first time) We missed opening act the Band and as we hit the floor, the lights went down and the boys launched into Shakedown. encore was Revolution and I've been here ever since.

also on the way home, we were all so broke we didnt have $5 for gas to get us home, We ended up removing the license plate, "borrowing" a few gallons of gas from a 24 hour gas station to get home and high-stepping out of town
-- smell every flower --
jackm
Junior Boarder

#238960 1 year, 6 months ago
First Show Springfield Civic Center, 6-30-74. GA $6.00 IIRC, the place was maybe 3/4 full. Hooked Ever Since. Glad to see Furthur Continuing the Ride.
kblodget
Junior Boarder

#239004 1 year, 6 months ago
My first show was Buckeye Lake, Ohio June 11, 1993. About a 8 hour drive for us from a couple hours north of Toronto. Only knew Skeletons from the closest when I went to the show.

A couple good stories.

We were inside the gates about 10 minutes and lit up a pipe and we were already well on our way so probably not paying as much attention to our surroundings as we should. My buddy is hitting it and all of sudden I see this huge security guard walking up to us. He is about 6'6" and 330 pounds. I think, shit we are going to get kicked out of here before we see the dead. He says to my buddy you better give me a hit of that. Takes a few hits and off he goes. We got our miracle.

Our friends who had seen shows said you have to see the Dead on Lsd. We bought some in the parking lot that did not seem to be working. We were walking for some refreshments and saw a guy that looked like he was feeling like we wanted to. He was tearing off little sheets of paper and giving it to some young girls. We asked if we could buy some and he said these are what he was on and sold us a couple each. They were chicken heads. They were spectacular and what a night. I was a dead head craving the next show. Off we trucked to Buffalo for 6/13/1993.
OZA
Senior Boarder

#239266 1 year, 6 months ago
Haha I'm only 18, so unfortunately no GD concerts for me.
First show was 11/13/12 PL&F at Roseland. I got there way early and started talking to an old tour veteran next to me, who was awesome. PL&F took the stage, and before this guy left, he gave me a fat joint & told me to enjoy the show. I shared the joint with the people around me, and they all returned the favor for the rest of the concert. I can't think of a single thing that was wrong with that night..
lightchaser
Platinum Boarder

#239269 1 year, 6 months ago
My 1st show was 1976 at Cameron Indoor Stadium (Duke, Durham NC). Hell's Angels everywhere. I thought I was hip for a 17 year old. I'd already seen the Stones , the Eagles, Eric Clapton (with guests Pete Townsend and Keith Moon), J Geils, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Poco, Fleetwood Mac, Loggins and Messina, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, ABB. Blues for Allah had just come out and I all I wanted to hear was Help/Slip/Franklin; I got it, and it reset my musical compass forever!
Thank You Cody, we are forever Grateful!
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by lightchaser.
Molly Leigh
Senior Boarder
I'm goin' go for it for sure

#239312 1 year, 6 months ago
This is a great topic! There are easily 3 generations responding to it. Shows that the music truly lives on and transcends many years. Thanks, Ican'tfindmyface!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ICantFindMyFace
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#239315 1 year, 6 months ago
my first was on my 16th birthday Buffalo 1977.crazzzzzyy tripp .a bunch of us drove from albany with my friends mom there were
5 of us in the back seat I was siitting across the laps of the other 4 we had a keg in the trunk with the hose running through to the back seat . stopped at a rest stop to grab a bite my friend dosed his moms chili . got to the buffalo war memorial , security would not let me bring in my wine flask so my friends mom and I went back to put it in the trunk could not close the trunk it started to rain so I climbed up on it to jump it closed it worked .great scene old time dead show for sure I saw a guy dressed like uncle sam and we bought smiley face paper.we ended up in the balcony which proved to be tough on mom looking down so we moved great show danced all night .now the deal was supposed to be we were gonna camp some where but it was still raing mom could not drive so her son did probly no liscence and we are all well ya know .. anyway he ends upp some how sriving us straight out on a pier and I mean pretty far out on it . when you opened the door you saw water on both sides no room to get out and walk so some how he went straight back off of it somebody was watching out for us . ended up his mom got us a room at a hotel and we all snuk in ahahaha , I was doingcartwheels down the hallway and the other guys played with the ice machine all night my face hurt the next day it was great!!!!!!!
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
lightchaser
Platinum Boarder

#239674 1 year, 6 months ago
I'm giving alilfurthur the blue ribbon so far...
Thank You Cody, we are forever Grateful!
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#239681 1 year, 6 months ago
Buffalo War Memorial '77 is my all-time favorite Peggy-O.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
theotherone
Junior Boarder

#239693 1 year, 6 months ago
Equinox wrote:
SunshineSue wrote:
Though my favorite Dead story is still summer tour '85 (as I know I've said before), where I met a nice guy in the parking lot at Alpine, then 2 nights later he was sitting right in front of me in Cincinnati. And last night we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. Thank you, Jerry!!!

Congrats Sue!

What a grate story...Congratulations !!
......While the Music Plays the Band.....
Time to create page: 0.97 seconds