• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

VINTAGE DEAD

#237934 1 year, 5 months ago
fucking classic. excellent recording, date considered.

archive.org/details/gd67-03-18.sbd.fink.10282.sbeok.shnf
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, lightchaser, 23atwell, BillyDeLion
lightchaser
Platinum Boarder

Re: VINTAGE DEAD

#237939 1 year, 5 months ago
Thanks Burt!
Thank You Cody, we are forever Grateful!
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#238051 1 year, 5 months ago
everybody loves vintage..
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

#238056 1 year, 5 months ago

This Vintage Dead is the original. Recorded Live at the Avalon Ballroom in San Francisco September 16, 1966

I Know you Rider; It Hurts Me Too; It's All Over Now, Baby Blue; "Dancing in the Street;" and In The Midnight Hour are the only songs from this show that made it onto the album. It's never been released on cd, but the soundboard is on archive.org

archive.org/details/gd1966-09-16.117435.....indidarkstar.flac24
Thank You Jerry
Last Edit: 1 year, 5 months ago by Sustainabill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#238058 1 year, 5 months ago
I may be showing my age here. I have this album (albums remember those things - For you young'uns they look like frisbees) I got it when I was young and foolish and didn't know how easy they were to scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sustainabill
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

#238059 1 year, 5 months ago
nycdave wrote:
I may be showing my age here. I have this album (albums remember those things - For you young'uns they look like frisbees) I got it when I was young and foolish and didn't know how easy they were to scratch.
I pulled it out of my collection. It rests right next to the other release on MGM Sunflower - Historic Dead.
Thank You Jerry
The following user(s) said Thank You: nycdave
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#238066 1 year, 5 months ago
i just realized that whole picture above is the album... at first glance I thought the album was put out on a table with a glass of wine and stuff...
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, Sustainabill, nycdave
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

#238096 1 year, 5 months ago
http://archive.org/details/gd71-04-06.sb...ens.18735.sbeok.shnf

right before 'midnight hour', weir says "comin to ya straight from the grooves of vintage dead'
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#238108 1 year, 5 months ago
SustainaBill : I pulled it out of my collection. It rests right next to the other release on MGM Sunflower - Historic Dead.

Ah yes, Historic Dead: 4 songs, recorded at the Avalon Ballroom in San Francisco, California in late 1966, and released in June 1971.
Side one
1."Good Morning Little Schoolgirl" (Sonny Boy Williamson) – 11:01
2."Lindy" (Jab Jones and Will Shade) – 2:49
Side two
3."Stealin'" (Gus Cannon and Will Shade) – 3:00
4."The Same Thing" (Willie Dixon) – 12:01

Historic Dead was produced as a vinyl LP on the Sunflower Records label and distributed by MGM Records. Sunflower had purchased the rights to a number of concert recordings from the Avalon, including some by the Grateful Dead. Historic Dead is therefore not a bootleg album. However, the band did not participate in its production. The album reached number 154 on the Billboard 200. It has long been out of print, and has never been issued on Compact Disc.
Historic Dead was preceded by another Sunflower Records album recorded at the Avalon in 1966, Vintage Dead.

As noted by WLewis, considering that this music was first played in 1966, the sound quality is strong. At 12:01 "The Same Thing" is early Pigpen with lots of improvised jamming at it's best. In those days, Pigpen was the lead singer and though the musicians were young and still learning how to play their instruments. Their energy and ability to strech tunes out just was...!
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#238110 1 year, 5 months ago
i wasn't thinking of the album "vintage dead" when i created the thread. although, i'll admit when choosing the title it came too quick and seemed like it was familiar. i was just loosely using the term "vintage".

i love the 60's GD stuff. never gets enough attention
Time to create page: 0.78 seconds