• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
frankiebarnsworth
Visitor

Re: phish fans step inside

#237197 1 year, 5 months ago
NobleGlassArt wrote:
Though you care enough to become a board member, troll for a bit, and upload several ridiculous photos?

I'm assuming I wont really be seeing you at "Bloomfield"

I thought it was Broomfield?
NobleGlassArt
Gold Boarder

#237208 1 year, 5 months ago
Hence the quotation marks.
Twenty-seven years of nothing but failures and promises that I couldn't keep
frankiebarnsworth
Visitor

#237219 1 year, 5 months ago
you wanna grilled cheese samwich to go with that fine shake of yours?
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#237227 1 year, 5 months ago
You won't see no moose when your sittin on a plane...
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#237230 1 year, 5 months ago
Equinox wrote:
MushroomMan wrote:
I'm not a Phish fan myself but that's not why I'm posting either....

I just thought I'd mention how ridiculous I thought it was that my boss expected me to like Phish just because I'm into the Dead. I hear people compare them all the time but IMO they sound nothing alike... yet most of the time I talk about the GD with him he comes back with something like "dude, I can't believe you don't like Phish being into the Dead like that"

really?

so I pretty much don't even mention the Dead at work anymore.... and when I do it usually has to do with dates and then my boss comes back with something like "Kev, your going to 10 shows?"

some people will never understand

They're very different bands but they both come, IMO, from a certain psychedelic core of inspiration. But that can be said of Hot Tuna and the 13th Floor Elevators. two bands that I totally love but who have relatively little in common with the Dead. Personally I love Phish but that's because I've always been a Zappa freak more than because I've always been a Deadhead. And while I love Harry Hood, I'd rather hear Monkey And The Engineer.

well if I had to pick 3 favorites it'd be GD, Floyd and Zappa .... not sure where your getting at with Zappa but I see about as little similarities with him and Phish as I do with GD (just my 2 cents) ... Zappa was actually funny

iraqistatefair wrote:
MushroomMan wrote:
I'm not a Phish fan myself but that's not why I'm posting either....

I just thought I'd mention how ridiculous I thought it was that my boss expected me to like Phish just because I'm into the Dead. I hear people compare them all the time but IMO they sound nothing alike... yet most of the time I talk about the GD with him he comes back with something like "dude, I can't believe you don't like Phish being into the Dead like that"

really?

so I pretty much don't even mention the Dead at work anymore.... and when I do it usually has to do with dates and then my boss comes back with something like "Kev, your going to 10 shows?"

some people will never understand

That boss of yours sounds a tad annoying...but do you not like Phish because he always says...dude, Kevin, you like the dead but you dont like phish...wicked weird?!! LoL
or do you really not enjoy thier music at all....?
have you ever been to a show before?
Are you trying to tell me that you don't enjoy the song Makisupa Policeman ? Or Lizards?
Your mushroom man for gosh sakes...anytime I ever hear Runaway Jim or Harpua even sober I feel like i'm trippin balls.
you've clearly never heard Phish play You Enjoy Myself(YEM) or Reba under a beautiful starlit summer night with a cool breeze(and you can feel it) and the occasional shooting star - cuddle puddles, space bag pillows, and Page McConnels piano easing your soul.
you dont have to be a "fan" to like that man. i think this boss of yours sucks fucking ass.
And im a diehard deadhead.
ever shroomed and danced to maze or caverns ?....even the monkey is hopin off the train and tellin the engineer....hey i'll catch up with you in St Louis pappy. monkey's like to have fun.

sounds almost as crazy as my boss...

I should like Phish because I enjoy a psychedelic experience?

I've never been to a show but I've heard enough of their music and seen enough live videos to conclude it isn't for me.... looks like a real crazy light show they have.... also looks like they need it as it seems about the party much more then the music...
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

#237242 1 year, 5 months ago
Well Phish did actually start out as sort of a Dead cover band. They also play similar improvisational music - rock, bluegrass, R & B. They differ a lot too. Phish's constant crescendos really starts to were on me after a while. Sure the dead crescendo too but Phish seems to do it multiple times per song. It is kinda their one trick. Personally I think Furthur and particularly JK's guitar sounds closer to phish at times than the dead, not because of the crescendos but because of the tones and rock and roll sound. Other times he taps into the psychadelic Jerry sound too. I often describe JK's style as a mix between Trey and very early Jerry.
killwhyT
Senior Boarder

#237249 1 year, 5 months ago
Yes, comparing the Dead and Phish annoys me along with the assumption that I would like them because of some abstract association with the Dead. I saw them in 95 in Vancouver at the urging of some tour friends and never went to see them again. I just didn't get it. I don't give a Phiddler's Phuck about Phish.
mjwhitegd
Junior Boarder

#237284 1 year, 5 months ago
I feel the need to chime in on this thread because I always hear people, both deadheads and phisheads, get offended when the bands are compared. I agree that it's annoying for someone to assume that if you like one, then you must like the other. that's just stupid. But honestly, I find it fair game to compare the two, why not? They don't have to sound exactly the same to be comparable. They both focus primarily on jams and songs as vehicles to get to the jams, they both have phenomenal lead guitarists with their own unique style, they both have songs that sounded so well together that it became a staple to play them next to each other... (Help>Slipknot>Franklin's)... (Mike's>Hydrogen>Weekapaug)... also within those suites, the first song is a slower and has a dark sorta jam, the second is an instrumental, and the third is a fast, upbeat partying kinda song. Both bands have great multi-part suites in addition to great simple short songs, both mix together an eclectic mix of genres... I could go on. And that is just comparing them musically; we all know that we could compare the bands by looking at the fact that they both have hordes of fans that follow them around the country, selling tasty food, homemade art and crafts inspired by the music, a presence of psychedelics.

Ok, so that's most of my rant... If you don't like either of those bands, that is totally cool... and if you don't want to compare them, that is also cool. But if you think that they are incomparable (socially or musically) then look again... they don't have to sound exactly the same to be comparable. And finally, if you get offended when people do compare, then lighten up ...cause who cares? Ain't no time to hate.

Oh and finally! This was not meant to be a response to any particular post in this thread, this was more of a response to the many many many conversations that I've had on dead lot and phish lot where I've seen people become passionately offended because the two bands were compared.
The following user(s) said Thank You: splatter_face, funky420
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#237286 1 year, 5 months ago
mjwhitegd wrote:
I feel the need to chime in on this thread because I always hear people, both deadheads and phisheads, get offended when the bands are compared. I agree that it's annoying for someone to assume that if you like one, then you must like the other. that's just stupid. But honestly, I find it fair game to compare the two, why not? They don't have to sound exactly the same to be comparable. They both focus primarily on jams and songs as vehicles to get to the jams, they both have phenomenal lead guitarists with their own unique style, they both have songs that sounded so well together that it became a staple to play them next to each other... (Help>Slipknot>Franklin's)... (Mike's>Hydrogen>Weekapaug)... also within those suites, the first song is a slower and has a dark sorta jam, the second is an instrumental, and the third is a fast, upbeat partying kinda song. Both bands have great multi-part suites in addition to great simple short songs, both mix together an eclectic mix of genres... I could go on. And that is just comparing them musically; we all know that we could compare the bands by looking at the fact that they both have hordes of fans that follow them around the country, selling tasty food, homemade art and crafts inspired by the music, a presence of psychedelics.

Ok, so that's most of my rant... If you don't like either of those bands, that is totally cool... and if you don't want to compare them, that is also cool. But if you think that they are incomparable (socially or musically) then look again... they don't have to sound exactly the same to be comparable. And finally, if you get offended when people do compare, then lighten up ...cause who cares? Ain't no time to hate.

Oh and finally! This was not meant to be a response to any particular post in this thread, this was more of a response to the many many many conversations that I've had on dead lot and phish lot where I've seen people become passionately offended because the two bands were compared.

A Big giant AMEN to that!
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
Time to create page: 2.88 seconds