• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
kfender
Gold Boarder

Re: cant get enough '94

#234922 1 year, 8 months ago
Dopey i think it's cool that you found the scene and had great times.That being said it's painfully obvious that they were wildly inconsistant towards the end and that includes 1994.I'm not a hater just stating the facts
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
jodiah
Expert Boarder

#234959 1 year, 8 months ago
dead_in_ky wrote:
probably in a minority on this. there were unquestionably some great moments, but probably more not so great. I caught the the bulk of the summer tour and the inconsistency, not just from show to show but from song to song is astounding. Jerry was in obvious decline. That being said, you would be hard pressed to find many Stella Blues better than 3/21 or 8/1.
This is actually a great show, I think:

archive.org/details/gd94-08-01.set2-sbd.georges.1026.sbeok.shnf

It's odd that there is no soundboard copy available. Hmm, what gives? Oops, I meant from the Nassau show.
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by jodiah.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#234985 1 year, 8 months ago
Just checked my listening notes to check if I had any recommendations. Nope.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
gr8ful bruin
Senior Boarder
Mr. Charlie

#234987 1 year, 8 months ago
6-26-94 was awesome and the peggy o is top 3 ever

12-19-94 was magical with the super rare nobody's fault but mine, great show and the most incredible Days between ever, kind of like a summation of the whole journey

12-18-94 with branford is pretty good as well

Some of my favorite songs like broken arrow, days, so many roads, lazy river road, liberty etc are only available at the end

There is a haunting beauty to some of these solos and vocals where it seemed that jerry knew he was sick and in serious decline and I think he tried his best to wrap it up strong. When he does come screaming back at times it is honorable that he kept trying, there is beauty in never giving up, even as he was dying

Anyways being at these shows was amazing and I will always be thankful that he kept truckin long enough for me to be there with him
Go to Terrapin, no really go to TERRAPIN
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, dopeywonder
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#235073 1 year, 8 months ago
Summer 94 was a mess for me. Attended 5 shows, had tickets for 11. Vermont was ok. Buckeye had some moments. The 2 MO shows could have been some of the worst I ever seen. Actually walked out of the second show to get an early start on Buckeye. Both Giants stadium shows were a mess. For some odd reason the Boston shows and first 2 nights at the spectrum were good. Third night Spectrum was terrible. Look at this setlist. I could not have written a worse one for my taste. Even FH and Dew could not save this disaster. Victim, Samba, Corrina, Last TIme in the same set. My goodness.

Set 2:
Victim Or The Crime
Samba In The Rain
Foolish Heart
Corrina
Drums
Space
The Last Time
Morning Dew
Encore:
Johnny B. Goode

The MSG shows had some moments, but I knew my show days were coming to an end. Jerry was just grey and gaunt looking. It broke my heart to see this.

10-1 Boston is very very good.

10-14 Scarlet Fire is mesmerizing. The crowd exploded watching Jerry give it his all. Was not perfectly played, but his effort made 25k plus roar like ive never heard before.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#235127 1 year, 8 months ago
newyawker wrote:
Summer 94 was a mess for me. Attended 5 shows, had tickets for 11. Vermont was ok. Buckeye had some moments. The 2 MO shows could have been some of the worst I ever seen. Actually walked out of the second show to get an early start on Buckeye. Both Giants stadium shows were a mess. For some odd reason the Boston shows and first 2 nights at the spectrum were good. Third night Spectrum was terrible. Look at this setlist. I could not have written a worse one for my taste. Even FH and Dew could not save this disaster. Victim, Samba, Corrina, Last TIme in the same set. My goodness.

Set 2:
Victim Or The Crime
Samba In The Rain
Foolish Heart
Corrina
Drums
Space
The Last Time
Morning Dew
Encore:
Johnny B. Goode

The MSG shows had some moments, but I knew my show days were coming to an end. Jerry was just grey and gaunt looking. It broke my heart to see this.

10-1 Boston is very very good.

10-14 Scarlet Fire is mesmerizing. The crowd exploded watching Jerry give it his all. Was not perfectly played, but his effort made 25k plus roar like ive never heard before.

10 07 94 was my first and last show.
I remember a contact buzz like no other as i somehow floated in to the section my ticket was labeled. I went in late around set break- but i dont remember anything except Johnny b Goode(being that i was only 15 and totally new to the music and was the only tune i recognized from the few cd's i owned....grateful dead /Grateful Dead)
But looking back while listening to the show....it seriously is just so magical. the morning dew is moving at a upbeat pace and has so much hard edge to it. Micky and Billy and bob are killin it. Im a dew fanatic and love only the best when it comes to this tune. but this one is really nice. Jerry's "i guess it doesnt matter anyway not only brings a tear to my eyes as many dews do...but chills head to toe)
The that would be something , Samba , and Corrina are fabulous!
Even the drums have a very tropical feel and bring you to a coral reef somewhere with the unbelievable sounds courtesy Billy/Micky
This could be the last time is simply on fire.
I have no idea what in gods name your talking about man.
Did you just look at the setlist and not listen to the show?
The percussion alone in this show is fantastic along with the sytnthesizers during drums
please listen to set 2 again.
I love this set so much.
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by iraqistatefair.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dopeywonder
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#235128 1 year, 8 months ago
NY you are on point. 10-7-94 was weak after the first 2 tunes. A true yawner. Set 2 ... was jerry even there.... the worst Morning Dew I ever saw live. Your whole rest of 94 is dead on. Night one 10-5 of Philly was a true sparkler.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#235143 1 year, 8 months ago
That first night at the Spectrum was probably the best of the nine shows I saw that year. The entire first set turned up as a jam of the week on dead.net a while ago and it sounded great. The other real high point for me was the second set from 3/27. Drumz/space on was pretty much perfect. And a special shout out for 10/13 simply because they dug out Dupree's.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#235154 1 year, 8 months ago
@ iraqistatefair, you only saw half a show?
The voices tell me what to say
The following user(s) said Thank You: kfender
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#235164 1 year, 8 months ago
Big time roller coaster .. I remember standing there in McNichols thinking "Wow this is really the end" and then night 3 was pretty damn good. "Wildly inconsistent" is a great way to describe this run anyway if not the whole year.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#235168 1 year, 8 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
Big time roller coaster .. I remember standing there in McNichols thinking "Wow this is really the end" and then night 3 was pretty damn good. "Wildly inconsistent" is a great way to describe this run anyway if not the whole year.

I just listened to those McNichols shows a couple weeks ago with my best friend (they were his first shows) they were pretty good
The voices tell me what to say
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#235183 1 year, 8 months ago
The years '92-'95 were weak at best. Yes, there were good shows here, + there, but for the most part they were going through the motions. Sad, but true.
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds