• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

Re: cant get enough '94

#235224 1 year, 8 months ago
newyawker wrote:
Plus, the scene itself had disintegrated beyond recognition. Law officials became much more aggressive. The fans that would infiltrate a venue were tweaked beyond control and did not leave a good impression. There were times I actually did not feel safe at a show post 92. Never had this feeling before that. The community itself as a whole did not function as before. Even the late 80s when 100k would walk into a city seemed more controllable. The band reminded me of an athlete that should have retired when on top, yet continues and ends his career with embarrassment.

This I have heard before but completely disagree with. I did not get the feeling that the scene was deteriorating any more than it had been since the mid 80s. There were plenty of cases of gate crashing and bad behavior by fans even in the 80s (remember their not being asked to come back to venues did not start in 94!!). I always felt safe, especially compared to a Phish show!
The following user(s) said Thank You: dopeywonder
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#235226 1 year, 8 months ago
B-Rad wrote:
newyawker wrote:
Plus, the scene itself had disintegrated beyond recognition. Law officials became much more aggressive. The fans that would infiltrate a venue were tweaked beyond control and did not leave a good impression. There were times I actually did not feel safe at a show post 92. Never had this feeling before that. The community itself as a whole did not function as before. Even the late 80s when 100k would walk into a city seemed more controllable. The band reminded me of an athlete that should have retired when on top, yet continues and ends his career with embarrassment.

This I have heard before but completely disagree with. I did not get the feeling that the scene was deteriorating any more than it had been since the mid 80s. There were plenty of cases of gate crashing and bad behavior by fans even in the 80s (remember their not being asked to come back to venues did not start in 94!!). I always felt safe, especially compared to a Phish show!

I am not saying some scenes were not bad prior to this. But the aggressiveness of fans and law enforcement cannot be argued post 92. The point that cannot be refuted is a bigger percentage of fans post 92 were assholes and should not have come to the show. Perhaps it was a necessary consequence coupled with my negativity about the poor performances.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by newyawker.
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

#235228 1 year, 8 months ago
Again from my experience it started to go down hill in the late 80s and didn't really get worse in the 90s (the scene that is). Could just be different perspectives though.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#235229 1 year, 8 months ago
In 1987 they were banned from Red Rocks when the poor little town of Morrison got destroyed by the hoardes. After that they only played McNichols and Mile High Stadium (once).
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#235276 1 year, 8 months ago
wlewis wrote:
rippleish20 wrote:
dopeywonder wrote:
anyone else feel me? I love the tone of jerrys guitar this year and of course it was my first show friday the 13th '94

I'm glad to hear at least one person still listens to shows from 94...

i don't think anybody said they don't listen to any 94 at all whatsoever, but rather, unlike the original poster, most are able to get enough of 94 in about 30 minutes or less.

I was really just trying to make a semi humorous point countering the original statement.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#235294 1 year, 8 months ago
One other thing about 10/5. Midnight Hour was very very rare.....I'd been wanting to hear it again for years after catching it 4-8-85 in the same building. My all time fave dead song is Cumberland Blues. Set 2 opens Midnight Hour>Cumberland..........my head damn near exploded....also my fave set 2 closer a rousing Philly Sugar Mag with Bob in all his rock star glory. What a night!

Besides the previously mentioned 10/1 and 10/5.....check out 10/15/94 MSG another very strong show. You really can't go wrong in any year when its Saturday Night at the Garden. I think I damn near levitated during the encore of "I Want to Tell You"
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#235297 1 year, 8 months ago
A couple other tidbits from the garden run - Jimmy Page & Robert Plant were in attendance on 10/13......unfortunately they left at set break.

10-14 Features one of the all time great versions of Scarlet- Fire

Like I said previously spring/summer 94 blah........fall 94 had some of the last gasps of greatness.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#235330 1 year, 8 months ago
I've heard that Scarlet>Fire. Very powerful.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#235332 1 year, 8 months ago
I was 2nd row directly in front of Jerry for this show and I remember that Jerry did a stunning version of Comes A Time and it was my 35th birthday and Jerry's hair was clearly dirty.

10-09-94 USAir Arena, Landover, Md. (Sun)
1: Bucket, Bertha, Spoonful, Stagger Lee, Broken Arrow, Me & My Uncle@> Big River@, So Many Roads, Promised
2: H. C. Sunshine, Samson, Way To Go, Ship Of Fools, Saint> Drumz> Miracle> Comes A Time> Throwing Stones> Lovelight E: Rain
final/last "Comes A Time": 03-27-93 [127] - venue used to be called "Capital Centre" - Rex Foundation benefit
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
MossMan
Fresh Boarder

#235636 1 year, 8 months ago
I'm glad others appreciate some '94...I never saw the grateful dead cuz i was 13 in '95, so maybe i'm fairly objective. I love jerry's acoustic tone from this year, and the emotional fragility in his voice; he never sounded like that before. Most of spring tour sounds pretty good to me. A lot of the october shows are good too, perhaps jerry's last hurrah. Shows I like from this year include: 3/6, 3/21, 3/30, 6/19, 6/26, 10/9, 10/13 & 10/14, just off the top of my head
The following user(s) said Thank You: dopeywonder
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds