• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

tapers/audiophiles PLEASE ENTER

#234156 1 year, 8 months ago
i acquired a box of DAT tapes today. tons of GD, all eras, 60s-90s. also some classic stuff: jorma, zappa, mickey and the hartbeats, and tons more.. will a DAT recording device play the DAT tapes? i want to listen to these. i have a feeling the sound on these is something special. i would also like to convert them into flac or wav and put them on hard disk.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Chester
More or less in line

Re: tapers/audiophiles PLEASE ENTER

#234158 1 year, 8 months ago
All you need is to get them converted to digital to put them on your hard drive. A DAT player should do that.
Then you can convert them to any file you wish. I recommend uploading any good ones to Etree.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#234161 1 year, 8 months ago
these puppies are in perfect condition, most of them the single or one of two clones from the master. all neatly cased with typed setlists and everything.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#234163 1 year, 8 months ago
DATs are a fragile medium. They seemed to deteriorate quickly. Flaking from the stratum, oxidation, and such. There must be some discussion out there. I'd email Charlie Miller, GEMS, etc. There's also always the Trader's Den tracker. or this place:
taperssection.com/index.php
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#234171 1 year, 8 months ago
yea if anything is rare/unreleased you might want to see about getting it out to someone who's worked on that stuff before, so there's no chance of messing anything up/losing anything... just a thought, no offense meant. If I had anything rare I'd send it to Miller before I even tried to listen.
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#234188 1 year, 8 months ago
I taped 270+ shows from 79-92; I have a very large number of DATs as well as cassettes. I'm not sure if it's because the DATs deteriorate or if heads get out of alignment over time, but I've had a problem with diginoise (crackling noise and such) , especially if I try to play DATS recorded on one deck on another deck.

To transfer I connect my DAT player to my Mac via a digital cable and then just use a program like Soundstudio or Audacity to record them to WAV/AIFF, etc.

One of the biggest problems at this point is geting a good DAT deck, if you don't have one. The best scenario is if you can play tem on the deck they were recording on.
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#234189 1 year, 8 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
yea if anything is rare/unreleased you might want to see about getting it out to someone who's worked on that stuff before, so there's no chance of messing anything up/losing anything... just a thought, no offense meant. If I had anything rare I'd send it to Miller before I even tried to listen.

I'd be amazed if they were something really unusual. Something really rare would more likely be on Reels.
probeck2001
Junior Boarder

#234200 1 year, 8 months ago
Get in touch with Charlie Miller. He's the man to do the transfers. This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by probeck2001.
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#234303 1 year, 8 months ago
hopefully something not found in the Dead's vault could show up lol

in which case SEND THOSE TO THEM

right?
thefurthurproject
Fresh Boarder

#234326 1 year, 8 months ago
I am more than willing to transfer some DATs if need be. Just let me know.

www.thefurthurproject.wordpress.com
www.boilerinthebasementmusic.wordpress.com
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds