• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
bxorain
Senior Boarder

Re: What's the secret?

#233957 1 year, 5 months ago
I stick to a few things that help me through a good run of shows..
I drink fluids all day and by Mid day when I'm feeling like ass I force myself to go on 4 to 5 mile walk. Rather than loafing this gets my blood going. From there I do a good shower and then head out for eats and drinks around 5:30 or so. After a couple of drinks I start to come around. I also eat healthy all day and stay away from greasy foods. I make sure (no matter how flying I am) that I eat before bed as well. Exercise helps big time, I don't think I could pull it off if I smoked it up all day and sat on the couch...tough to rally at night that way...
Good luck!
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#233966 1 year, 5 months ago
My age does hit me occasionally. The floor of the Capital Theater in Portchester has a decent slope and I actually had back aches after the four Phil & Friends shows.

I don't have a huge problem with lots of shows in a row though; I have a harder time staying up to 3:30AM to west coast streams. I love them but it throws me off.
crazychestersdog
Fresh Boarder
Raised eight boys, only I turned bad

#233982 1 year, 5 months ago
Four words: hair of the dog.
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#233987 1 year, 5 months ago
crazychestersdog wrote:
Four words: hair of the dog.

Just like getting bit by a poisonous snake
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#233988 1 year, 5 months ago
The origins of Live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse.
Dire Wolf writes: "Geriatric heads know that the saying is from an old Bogart film, not the hells angels. "

The saying “Live fast, die young and leave a good-looking corpse!” is often wrongly attributed to actor James Dean.
Dean didn’t actually say it — at least not in his movies.
If you’re a classic movie buff, you may know that “Live fast, die young and have a good-looking corpse!” is actually a famous line said by actor John Derek in the film Knock On Any Door, which premiered on February 21, 1949 and was released nationwide the next day.
It was the first major film role for Derek, who later married and guided the early film career of Bo Derek.
He plays Nick Romano, a young Italian hoodlum from the Chicago slums who is accused of killing a cop. Humphrey Bogart plays his attorney, Andrew Morton.
In the film, Nick tells his girlfriend that “Live fast, die young and have a good-looking corpse!” is his motto in life.

Quotation expert Ralph Keyes speculates in his book The Quote Verifier that Motley may have been “recycling street talk” when he wrote the line “Live fast, die young and have a good-looking corpse.”
Some extensive online searching and found uses and variations of the phrase “live fast and die young” dating back to the early 1900s.

Live fast, die young, and leave a flat patch of fur on the highway - the Squirrels' Motto (The Hell's Angels of Nature)
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#233991 1 year, 5 months ago
I'm 54 and I've noticed a few changes. It's no longer essential to get wasted at every concert and I'm a bit less likely to jump in the car and drive hours to see some music. Naturally that doesn't apply to Dead related bands. If the closest I can see them is Manhattan or some place in the mountains, then so be it. I guess I feel the wear and tear a little more acutely now but my partying is more moderate. And of course, the music itself always seems to lift me up. I mean, I did all five nights at the Tower and I danced my ass off at every one.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#234057 1 year, 5 months ago
Even when i was touring in the 80s and dropping, my body would tell me when the time was up. I have memories of becoming agitated with friends who would dose me without my knowledge when I did not want to. There is always that one person in a group that is immune to any problem of taking too much too fast. I was not one of them.

Fast forward 25 years to the present day, I am a little girl when it comes to partying now. Cheap date for my wife. 3 scotches a couple of beers and im toasted. The only things that woudl help me when on tour was a lot of Vitamin C. And Water. Always had a sack of oranges with me and jugs of H2O.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#234060 1 year, 5 months ago
Smoothies

If I don't have to work the next day I'm usually ok. Even then I have to remind myself to not go all in on the 1st night. That could be tough at the Ogden We'll have to form our own support group for the show. See you there man! Getting excited?
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
karenrose
Gold Boarder
What a long, strange trip it's been..

#234061 1 year, 5 months ago
Denver Man wrote:

If I don't have to work the next day I'm usually ok.

I always take the next day off 'cause I KNOW I'll need to recoop! SOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!
bambamcdn
Junior Boarder

#234063 1 year, 5 months ago
For me all about , pacing. Water, Water, Water, ....and sleep, naps, food......and of course the love of music always adds that extra boost.

Slowed down major on drugs since late 80'-90's.....has helped a lot in making it through.....
Someday, everything is gonna be different
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#234105 1 year, 5 months ago
yea work the next day always kills you, always plan smart with that. I drove 4 hours home after a show once and went to work with an hours sleep the next day... all day asking myself "why didn't I just take it off" ... I go to a lot of shows so I like to work as much as I can during a tour, but you gotta pace yourself better then that!
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#234113 1 year, 5 months ago
Great thread!!! I can tell you this much. It doesn't matter if you just drink, use party favors, or sober. I feel the same physically after a three day run. Mentally there's a difference. I know the next time I do a three day run, I'm going to pay more attention to the shoes I'm going to wear. Maybe buy some dr scholes soles for my shoes. I think that helps. And the obvious is getting at least 6-8 hours of sleep. A shower every morning to feel fresh. Spraying some cologne or some smelly good stuff on ya. Helps you feel good. Rock stars are a must for me. This is the kinda stuff I need.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phred
Time to create page: 0.53 seconds