• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
RowTimmy
Senior Boarder

Re: What's the secret?

#233937 1 year, 6 months ago
Im 53 and its harder now then 30 years ago, BUT, its a labor of love. Im doing more shows, three or four a week, every week, then I ever have. My advice is rest to up during the day and eat properly so your body is happy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phred
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#233952 1 year, 6 months ago
There is an old Hells Angeles expression: Live fast die young and leave a good looking corpse. No wait, this may not be the correct thread to share this inspirational wisdom. Perhaps Tim and Wondurlands posts are better suited to help geriatric heads dance.
Iriecycle
Expert Boarder
AND LEAVE IT ON!!!!

#233954 1 year, 6 months ago
Drink lots of water all day. Eat well, not too much before show, no food comas. Smoke after the first note, not upon entering the lot, or all day. If psychedelic increase from first through last, a break makes for better experience. Sure Phil's going strong, I believe he's been sober for a while, I tried it, it helps!
I Am You, As You Are Me, As We Are One, and We Are All Together.
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#233956 1 year, 6 months ago
nycdave wrote:
There is an old Hells Angeles expression: Live fast die young and leave a good looking corpse. No wait, this may not be the correct thread to share this inspirational wisdom. Perhaps Tim and Wondurlands posts are better suited to help geriatric heads dance.

Geriatric heads know that the saying is from an old Bogart film, not the hells angels. I don't know if any hells angel would make a good-looking corpse

The best defense is a healthy active lifestyle outside of tour time. God I hope 50 isn't considered old I always thought that was middle age good thing I ride a bike 15 miles everyday, hopefully ill be ready two decades ain't very long!

The only thing that kills me on multinight runs is more than one night of flasked wild turkey rare breed
bxorain
Senior Boarder

#233957 1 year, 6 months ago
I stick to a few things that help me through a good run of shows..
I drink fluids all day and by Mid day when I'm feeling like ass I force myself to go on 4 to 5 mile walk. Rather than loafing this gets my blood going. From there I do a good shower and then head out for eats and drinks around 5:30 or so. After a couple of drinks I start to come around. I also eat healthy all day and stay away from greasy foods. I make sure (no matter how flying I am) that I eat before bed as well. Exercise helps big time, I don't think I could pull it off if I smoked it up all day and sat on the couch...tough to rally at night that way...
Good luck!
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#233966 1 year, 6 months ago
My age does hit me occasionally. The floor of the Capital Theater in Portchester has a decent slope and I actually had back aches after the four Phil & Friends shows.

I don't have a huge problem with lots of shows in a row though; I have a harder time staying up to 3:30AM to west coast streams. I love them but it throws me off.
crazychestersdog
Fresh Boarder
Raised eight boys, only I turned bad

#233982 1 year, 6 months ago
Four words: hair of the dog.
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#233987 1 year, 6 months ago
crazychestersdog wrote:
Four words: hair of the dog.

Just like getting bit by a poisonous snake
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#233988 1 year, 6 months ago
The origins of Live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse.
Dire Wolf writes: "Geriatric heads know that the saying is from an old Bogart film, not the hells angels. "

The saying “Live fast, die young and leave a good-looking corpse!” is often wrongly attributed to actor James Dean.
Dean didn’t actually say it — at least not in his movies.
If you’re a classic movie buff, you may know that “Live fast, die young and have a good-looking corpse!” is actually a famous line said by actor John Derek in the film Knock On Any Door, which premiered on February 21, 1949 and was released nationwide the next day.
It was the first major film role for Derek, who later married and guided the early film career of Bo Derek.
He plays Nick Romano, a young Italian hoodlum from the Chicago slums who is accused of killing a cop. Humphrey Bogart plays his attorney, Andrew Morton.
In the film, Nick tells his girlfriend that “Live fast, die young and have a good-looking corpse!” is his motto in life.

Quotation expert Ralph Keyes speculates in his book The Quote Verifier that Motley may have been “recycling street talk” when he wrote the line “Live fast, die young and have a good-looking corpse.”
Some extensive online searching and found uses and variations of the phrase “live fast and die young” dating back to the early 1900s.

Live fast, die young, and leave a flat patch of fur on the highway - the Squirrels' Motto (The Hell's Angels of Nature)
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#233991 1 year, 6 months ago
I'm 54 and I've noticed a few changes. It's no longer essential to get wasted at every concert and I'm a bit less likely to jump in the car and drive hours to see some music. Naturally that doesn't apply to Dead related bands. If the closest I can see them is Manhattan or some place in the mountains, then so be it. I guess I feel the wear and tear a little more acutely now but my partying is more moderate. And of course, the music itself always seems to lift me up. I mean, I did all five nights at the Tower and I danced my ass off at every one.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Time to create page: 0.57 seconds