• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: furthur to play in Napa in May

#234008 1 year, 2 months ago
DancingTurtle wrote:
I think that the Napa festival has a better lineup then Coachella.

that's not saying a whole lot..
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#234022 1 year, 2 months ago
Poles wrote:
ZenoMarx wrote:
mr. nobody wrote:
Yes- It's a great festival put on by good folks who like to raise money to help out autistic people.
I think the accepted usage is now "people with autism". I guess it isn't okay to use as a direct adjective anymore. It's going through a language process like retard/retarded once did. I just learned this myself two weeks ago when I was reading a letter aloud from a parent with a child with autism. I was amongst a few folk who work with people with disabilities, and they were quick to straighten out the language. And before anyone assumes the wrong, I'm not complaining or passive-aggressively crapping on being corrected. I'm a big fan of language, and I appreciate how it changes. I'm not someone who reacts with "Oh, great. Another word I can't use." Quite the contrary. I invite such correction. It takes me no effort to modify "autistic child" to "child with autism". And in this case, if you look at it for a moment, it makes sense.

(public service announcement #37)
Xeno, have you studied Frege, Russell, Wittgenstein, and I suppose I ought include Parmenides? I suspect you have, as your posts indicate a life well examined. If not, they will probably appeal to your linguistic phenomenological sensibilities.
Academically, I'm a linguistics ignoramus. It's a recent fascination and appreciation. The older I get, the more value it displays. I'm only very lightly familiar with Russell and Wittgenstein. I don't believe I've even seen the name Frege. As for the Greek, I'm ashamed to admit that ancient philosophy is a real Achilles' Heel. It isn't that I haven't tried, but being insanely poor with name retention, I've found my bouts with the Greeks to be futile. And geez, even understanding their very different word definitions has the potential for one page to turn into an hour affair as I stressfully look up the proper usage. The Greeks flush out my shortcomings like no other period.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?

It's dead and over when close enough is good enough.
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#234058 1 year, 2 months ago
wlewis wrote:
DancingTurtle wrote:
I think that the Napa festival has a better lineup then Coachella.

that's not saying a whole lot..

Ha ha amen to that Coachella is overrated beyond words but at least it keeps the hipsters outta my way for a weekend

I think this Napa thing looks like a great line up but I get the feeling that they're catering to a 'napa' type crowd more than anything, not too bummed to miss it although I would love to see Furthur, Blk Keys, Primus (who suck), bad religion, and ALO at the same show
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
Poles
Expert Boarder

#234177 1 year, 2 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
Poles wrote:
ZenoMarx wrote:
mr. nobody wrote:
Yes- It's a great festival put on by good folks who like to raise money to help out autistic people.
I think the accepted usage is now "people with autism". I guess it isn't okay to use as a direct adjective anymore. It's going through a language process like retard/retarded once did. I just learned this myself two weeks ago when I was reading a letter aloud from a parent with a child with autism. I was amongst a few folk who work with people with disabilities, and they were quick to straighten out the language. And before anyone assumes the wrong, I'm not complaining or passive-aggressively crapping on being corrected. I'm a big fan of language, and I appreciate how it changes. I'm not someone who reacts with "Oh, great. Another word I can't use." Quite the contrary. I invite such correction. It takes me no effort to modify "autistic child" to "child with autism". And in this case, if you look at it for a moment, it makes sense.

(public service announcement #37)
Xeno, have you studied Frege, Russell, Wittgenstein, and I suppose I ought include Parmenides? I suspect you have, as your posts indicate a life well examined. If not, they will probably appeal to your linguistic phenomenological sensibilities.
Academically, I'm a linguistics ignoramus. It's a recent fascination and appreciation. The older I get, the more value it displays. I'm only very lightly familiar with Russell and Wittgenstein. I don't believe I've even seen the name Frege. As for the Greek, I'm ashamed to admit that ancient philosophy is a real Achilles' Heel. It isn't that I haven't tried, but being insanely poor with name retention, I've found my bouts with the Greeks to be futile. And geez, even understanding their very different word definitions has the potential for one page to turn into an hour affair as I stressfully look up the proper usage. The Greeks flush out my shortcomings like no other period.

The great Muhammaden philosopher Avicenna had to read Aristotle's metaphysics 40 times before he grasped it. So yes, reading and more importantly comprehending ancient philosophy can present a daunting task. Russell's History of Western Philisophy provides a good starting point if you are interested.
Don't ya touch hard liquor
Just a cup of cold coffee
DancingTurtle
Platinum Boarder

#234308 1 year, 2 months ago
I was excited but now I see there is no camping so F that.
ya coachella isn't my cup of tea but I have a family member that goes every year and
he was considering going to this insted but now thats theres no camping...
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by DancingTurtle.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#234312 1 year, 2 months ago
wow I've never heard of a festival with no camping... I guess they really are promoting for the rich
The following user(s) said Thank You: amusingdeva
RambleFurthur
Junior Boarder

#234313 1 year, 2 months ago
Awesome lineup and good for the needy kids, but $400 and no camping makes this an elitist fest. Between travel, lodging, food, party etc this would cost at least 2 G's for most people. I could tour most of the summer on 2 G's. They also aren't selling one day passes, because they don't want hippies and poor people flooding in for Furthur. Furthur is also scheduled to play the first night of the "fest" for a reason, we're not welcome in numbers, or for long....They can have it
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by RambleFurthur.
RambleFurthur
Junior Boarder

#234314 1 year, 2 months ago
Bahahahaha....Who the hell would wanna be around these snobs and D-bags for four days? They can totally have it....Cheese and Whineeeee www.facebook.com/BottleRockNapaValley/posts/556783541006006
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by RambleFurthur.
Jasper
Senior Boarder

#234320 1 year, 2 months ago
Sort of curious but when you think about its, the demographics work.

The GD has been around of course and their original fans/friends are now in 60's/70's ......

You know that a number of them just by surviving have done well and scattered to the winds, even in napa........Though not my lifestyle I love the characters of a good festival shakedown street, but can gently laugh about the struggle this festival might have with the struggle of contrasts.

J
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#234353 1 year, 2 months ago
No campn no go
Sucks cause temp with good lineup is great
Xample of piss poor planning
Time to create page: 0.60 seconds