• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Chester
Moderator
Posts:33881
More or less in line

Re: furthur to play in Napa in May

#233739 1 year, 8 months ago
wlewis wrote:
furthur could do a one off. it's not like they are traveling across the country to get to napa.

i am hoping they just do their own festival 5/10-5/12, fri-sun, somewhere in norcal. play the night before in napa and warm up


See, that's what I was thinking. Yeah, Napa's real close. But it could be a lead in to something like that.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
Posts:1024
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

Re: furthur to play in Napa in May

#233744 1 year, 8 months ago
mr. nobody wrote:
Yes- It's a great festival put on by good folks who like to raise money to help out autistic people.
I think the accepted usage is now "people with autism". I guess it isn't okay to use as a direct adjective anymore. It's going through a language process like retard/retarded once did. I just learned this myself two weeks ago when I was reading a letter aloud from a parent with a child with autism. I was amongst a few folk who work with people with disabilities, and they were quick to straighten out the language. And before anyone assumes the wrong, I'm not complaining or passive-aggressively crapping on being corrected. I'm a big fan of language, and I appreciate how it changes. I'm not someone who reacts with "Oh, great. Another word I can't use." Quite the contrary. I invite such correction. It takes me no effort to modify "autistic child" to "child with autism". And in this case, if you look at it for a moment, it makes sense.

(public service announcement #37)
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecojaded
DancingTurtle
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1748

Re: furthur to play in Napa in May

#233755 1 year, 8 months ago
I hope the Primus show is in 3D
mr. nobody
Junior Boarder
Posts:75

Re: furthur to play in Napa in May

#233905 1 year, 8 months ago
Thanks for the short language lesson. I will try to remember. Only reason I pointed out the "folks with autism" angle was because I respect what the promoters have done and are doing. We shouldn't be too critical of prices and set-up on this one...if they are using this festival to basically get wealthy people to donate ... more power to them! I'll be looking forward to "shows for the common deadhead". Meaning probably not Bay Area for less than $150 so...east coast?
drpsilocybo
Junior Boarder
Posts:292
Trying to find a peacefull song

Re: furthur to play in Napa in May

#233915 1 year, 8 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
deadhed4life34 wrote:
furthur will play one long set like they did at wanee and all the other music fests they play


2 sets at Vibes both years... the first year featuring Furthur's first Terrapin encore, and it was the whole Suite to...


I'm pretty sure wanee was the only time furthur didn't play the standard two sets and an encore.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
Posts:2128
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Re: furthur to play in Napa in May

#233922 1 year, 8 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
mr. nobody wrote:
Hmm...Sounds like fun at first look. But wait..no single-day tickets? It looks like an extra $100 for that Thursday night Furthur, so after my " 49'ers discount" I'm paying $350 for 4 days of bands that I guess I kinda like, but basically I'm paying $350 to see Furthur one night. Is it even a regular 2 set show? I've learned to not assume that at festivals unless they advertise it as such...Hmm... This is all making those Sweetwater and Terrapin shows look cheap. Next thought- are they really doing a one-off show? Perhaps they are playing that weekend somewhere else to be announced later? That would make sense. Okay, I really can't afford to spend that kinda money ($350) for one show, especially when I'm probably leaving the next day to catch the next show...This festival is for a good cause- raising money for autism- so if you got it throw it down. I gotta pass, unless they come up with a single-day Thursday ticket. Heck- I could probably even scratch up $100 for that one day ...but $350? And Primus Sucks!



wow I saw it was 300 for the festival but I didn't know they want an extra 100 for thursday (before the 49ers discount)... that's pretty outrageous, especially if it's extra for thursday but then no single day passes for that day...


Well how do you know its not worth it until you go to the festival!!!!!!

That quip was for Burt.... Couldnt resist buddy, the door was open for me.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by newyawker.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder
Posts:6476

Re: furthur to play in Napa in May

#233939 1 year, 8 months ago
newyawker wrote:
MushroomMan wrote:
mr. nobody wrote:
Hmm...Sounds like fun at first look. But wait..no single-day tickets? It looks like an extra $100 for that Thursday night Furthur, so after my " 49'ers discount" I'm paying $350 for 4 days of bands that I guess I kinda like, but basically I'm paying $350 to see Furthur one night. Is it even a regular 2 set show? I've learned to not assume that at festivals unless they advertise it as such...Hmm... This is all making those Sweetwater and Terrapin shows look cheap. Next thought- are they really doing a one-off show? Perhaps they are playing that weekend somewhere else to be announced later? That would make sense. Okay, I really can't afford to spend that kinda money ($350) for one show, especially when I'm probably leaving the next day to catch the next show...This festival is for a good cause- raising money for autism- so if you got it throw it down. I gotta pass, unless they come up with a single-day Thursday ticket. Heck- I could probably even scratch up $100 for that one day ...but $350? And Primus Sucks!



wow I saw it was 300 for the festival but I didn't know they want an extra 100 for thursday (before the 49ers discount)... that's pretty outrageous, especially if it's extra for thursday but then no single day passes for that day...


Well how do you know its not worth it until you go to the festival!!!!!!

That quip was for Burt.... Couldnt resist buddy, the door was open for me.



you don't know if it's worth it. you have not been to this festival. no one has.


i think it's expensive but i'm not going to say it's not worth it, because i don't know.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
Posts:2128
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Re: furthur to play in Napa in May

#233946 1 year, 8 months ago
wlewis wrote:
newyawker wrote:
MushroomMan wrote:
mr. nobody wrote:
Hmm...Sounds like fun at first look. But wait..no single-day tickets? It looks like an extra $100 for that Thursday night Furthur, so after my " 49'ers discount" I'm paying $350 for 4 days of bands that I guess I kinda like, but basically I'm paying $350 to see Furthur one night. Is it even a regular 2 set show? I've learned to not assume that at festivals unless they advertise it as such...Hmm... This is all making those Sweetwater and Terrapin shows look cheap. Next thought- are they really doing a one-off show? Perhaps they are playing that weekend somewhere else to be announced later? That would make sense. Okay, I really can't afford to spend that kinda money ($350) for one show, especially when I'm probably leaving the next day to catch the next show...This festival is for a good cause- raising money for autism- so if you got it throw it down. I gotta pass, unless they come up with a single-day Thursday ticket. Heck- I could probably even scratch up $100 for that one day ...but $350? And Primus Sucks!



wow I saw it was 300 for the festival but I didn't know they want an extra 100 for thursday (before the 49ers discount)... that's pretty outrageous, especially if it's extra for thursday but then no single day passes for that day...


Well how do you know its not worth it until you go to the festival!!!!!!

That quip was for Burt.... Couldnt resist buddy, the door was open for me.



you don't know if it's worth it. you have not been to this festival. no one has.


i think it's expensive but i'm not going to say it's not worth it, because i don't know.


Exactly.



Or as the following alludes.


JERRY: Hey, what were you doing with that bus yesterday?

KRAMER: Here you go, here you go, check it out.

JERRY: "The Real Peterman Reality Bus Tour". I'm confused.

KRAMER: Peterman's book is big business. People want to know the stories behind the stories.

JERRY: Nobody wants to go on a three hour bus tour of a totally unknown person's life.

KRAMER: I'm only charging $37.50, plus you get a pizza bagel and desert.

GEORGE: What's desert?

KRAMER: Bite-size Three Musketeers. Just like the real Peterman eats.

GEORGE: He eats those?

KRAMER: No. I eat those. I'm the real Peterman.

GEORGE: I think I understand this. Jay Peterman is real. His biography is not. Now, you Kramer are real.

KRAMER: Talk to me.

GEORGE: But your life is Peterman's. Now the bus tour, which is real, takes to places that, while they are real, they are not real in sense that they did not *really* happen to the *real* Peterman which is you.

KRAMER: Understand?

JERRY: Yeah. $37.50 for a Three Musketeers. (replace with 300 bucks to see Furthur one show sipping wine with some trust fund kids named Spencer or Linus)
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by newyawker.
Poles
Expert Boarder
Posts:625

Re: furthur to play in Napa in May

#234001 1 year, 8 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
mr. nobody wrote:
Yes- It's a great festival put on by good folks who like to raise money to help out autistic people.
I think the accepted usage is now "people with autism". I guess it isn't okay to use as a direct adjective anymore. It's going through a language process like retard/retarded once did. I just learned this myself two weeks ago when I was reading a letter aloud from a parent with a child with autism. I was amongst a few folk who work with people with disabilities, and they were quick to straighten out the language. And before anyone assumes the wrong, I'm not complaining or passive-aggressively crapping on being corrected. I'm a big fan of language, and I appreciate how it changes. I'm not someone who reacts with "Oh, great. Another word I can't use." Quite the contrary. I invite such correction. It takes me no effort to modify "autistic child" to "child with autism". And in this case, if you look at it for a moment, it makes sense.

(public service announcement #37)

Xeno, have you studied Frege, Russell, Wittgenstein, and I suppose I ought include Parmenides? I suspect you have, as your posts indicate a life well examined. If not, they will probably appeal to your linguistic phenomenological sensibilities.
Don't ya touch hard liquor
Just a cup of cold coffee
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
DancingTurtle
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1748

Re: furthur to play in Napa in May

#234004 1 year, 8 months ago
I think that the Napa festival has a better lineup then Coachella.
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds