• Topics not covered in other forums.
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

Kathy Sunderland R.I.P.

#232947 1 year, 6 months ago
Thanks to Marin Independent Journal for the obituary
www.marinij.com/rosskentfieldgreenbrae/c...-grateful-deads-phil

Kathy Sunderland, trailblazing tour manager for the Grateful Dead's Phil Lesh, dies at 60

By Paul Liberatore
Marin Independent Journal
Posted: 01/29/2013 04:49:08 PM PST

Kathy Sunderland, former tour manager for Phil Lesh & Friends and most recently production and office manager for Lesh's Terrapin Crossroads in San Rafael, died Jan. 20 after a long struggle with cancer. She was 60.

A resident of Ross, Ms. Sunderland had also served as office and production manager for the post-Grateful Dead bands the Dead and Furthur.

"Kathy was a trailblazer, one of the only female tour managers in what was, and is still, an all boys network," said Lesh family spokesman J.C. Juanis. "She was a cornerstone in each and every thing that Phil Lesh did in the post-Garcia era."

In 1999, Ms. Sunderland left her job as purchasing manager of the San Francisco Hilton to work for Lesh and his wife, Jill, in their Kentfield-based Cygnus Productions. Early on, she helped produce Philharmonia, a concert at the Maritime Hall in San Francisco that was Lesh's first maajor musical venture after the Grateful Dead disbanded following Jerry Garcia's death.

She went on to manage Phil Lesh & Friends tours with Bob Dylan and other star musicians. In November, a Phil & Friends lineup featuring guitarists Jimmy Herring and Warren Haynes, keyboardist Rob Barraco and drummer John Molo honored her by coming together for a four-night run at Terrapin Crossroads, Lesh's restaurant and concert hall.

In her work with the Lesh family, she was integral in organizing Deadheads for Obama, which produced concerts in San Francisco and at Penn State University in support of President Barack Obama's election campaign in 2008. She was on the board of Lesh's Unbroken Chain Foundation.

Ms. Sunderland was born in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., and grew up in Massapequa Park on Long Island. After graduating from Long Island's C.W. Post College, she moved to the Bay Area in 1974 to follow the Grateful Dead.

Ms. Sunderland is survived by her father, Wayne Sunderland, and brothers Wayne and Larry Sunderland.
Thank You Jerry
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Equinox, PMoondancer , nycdave, ecojaded, lightchaser, SunshineSue
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: Kathy Sunderland R.I.P.

#232951 1 year, 6 months ago
RIP in Kathy. Thank you for all you did for this family!!
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#232957 1 year, 6 months ago
May The Four Winds Blow You Safely Home Kathy, RIP
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#233214 1 year, 6 months ago
Looks like we all owe her quite a bit. Thank you, Kathy!
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
OZA
Senior Boarder

#233218 1 year, 6 months ago
So sad to hear. RIP Kathy
Chester
More or less in line

#233225 1 year, 6 months ago
Yeah, that's too young. R.I.P. Kathy.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#233227 1 year, 6 months ago
Way too young.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#233228 1 year, 6 months ago
God bless Kathy

Thanks for helping keep Phil on stage where he belongs !!!

-- smell every flower --
lightchaser
Platinum Boarder

#233272 1 year, 6 months ago
May her Soul Rest in Peace.
Thank You Cody, we are forever Grateful!
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#233307 1 year, 6 months ago
Condolences to family and friends
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds