• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

where do you get groceries?

#232939 1 year, 7 months ago
here in oakland i go to safeway. it's the closest and generally has the best prices. their member club or whatever the heck it is is really worth it. i get all sorts of "personalized" deals and online coupons you can add all these things digitally online and they are automatically credited once the card is scanned at check out. it's remarkable how cheap they offer things that i buy most frequently.

however, i do miss wegmans. not sure how many of you will even know what wegmans is, but was a staple in western new york, at least where i grew up. they make a damn fine sub over in the sub shop as well.

when available, i try to hit farmers markets if in close proximity.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

Re: where do you get groceries?

#232940 1 year, 7 months ago
wlewis wrote:

however, i do miss wegmans. not sure how many of you will even know what wegmans is, but was a staple in western new york, at least where i grew up. they make a damn fine sub over in the sub shop as well.

we have a wegmans across the street from my office...great place for lunch...always go for the 'danny's favorite' on everything bread
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

#232945 1 year, 7 months ago
Safeway? That's where I buy "Bright Green" paper towels and toilet paper. When you use your own bag - don't we all? - there is a 10% discount on all Bright Green (a Safeway store brand) products. The folks at the register don't always have awareness, but a manager will provide the code. I may get in the express line, but things slow down when it's my turn!

As for groceries, I have walked through several Safeway stores, and found no food that I wanted to buy.

I harvest extensively from my garden. In addition, I shop at the local farmer's market (when available), the local all organic natural food store, and I buy many organic products (pasta from Italy*), and cheese (my vice) from Costco.

I don't purchase any unhealthy items like milk, meat, eggs, alcohol, or tobacco.

There are lots of organic food co-ops; there may be one near you that provides real food. In my opinion, Safeway is a last resort for purchasing food.

* Did you know that "bigger, more potent" American wheat was specifically bred to have a higher gluten content. European wheat is a healthier alternative. How many other foods in the USA are "designed" for greater corporate profits? There is a great deal of information available concerning healthier alternatives, proper diet and nutrition, and foods to avoid. Good luck in your quest. Healthy alternatives need not be expensive.
Thank You Jerry
skidoo
Gold Boarder
skidoo, skidoo.....ski-doo doo doodlie doo doo doo

#232953 1 year, 7 months ago
wegman's, Tops Friendly Market, get you a Whammy Weenie at Bells

www.forgottenbuffalo.com/forgottenbflofe...es/whammyweenie.html
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#232954 1 year, 7 months ago
Target, Cosco and Safeway. Sprouts and trader joes, kinda far from the house but great place to shop.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sustainabill
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

#232961 1 year, 7 months ago
23atwell wrote:
Target, Cosco and Safeway. Sprouts and trader joes, kinda far from the house but great place to shop.

Glad to see that you put Trader Joe's on the list. I was going to suggest Trader Joe's for anyone that has one accessible. It's one of my favorite places to find real organic food, unfortunately the closest one is about 50 miles away from my town.
Thank You Jerry
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by Sustainabill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#232966 1 year, 7 months ago
King Soopers (Krogers), or Super Target.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#232988 1 year, 7 months ago
I go to Schnuks, a local but pretty big chain.

It's where I first went when I came here and haven't changed.

I go once a week, get what I need, and don't usually shop around anywhere else.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
gvanman
Platinum Boarder

#232992 1 year, 7 months ago
Krogers is closest to me. They also will personlize coupons for you once you have swiped their card enough. It keeps it competitive with, dare I say the name, Wal-Mart.
Little Bear
Gold Boarder
...they probably take care of themselves

#232997 1 year, 7 months ago
"..unhealthy items like milk, *MEAT*, *EGGS*, alcohol, or tobacco."

Those two are highly debatable in my book.

And yes, Kroger is my store of preference. As well as the, Wlewis endorsed, Wegmans.

How ever, I buy my canned food wherever it is cheapest.
~God bless the Hampton Inn~ ~And You~
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds