- Forum Header
- Topics not covered in other forums.
- Platinum Boarder
- Life is sweeter for this!
Re: Things Not to be Cheap When Buying#232882 1 year, 6 months agoOssumpei wrote:
Well...that's a touchy subject Sue.
Love is beyond the material, and a ring is just a token...
Is an expensive one to impress someone?
I'm sorry if that sounded cold or overly materialistic, I was trying to be a bit tongue in cheek, actually. Love is certainly the most important factor in any engagement. A ring isn't even an important thing to some people, but if you're going to get one as a symbol of a permanent commitment, then be thoughtful about it, and get something meaningful. My ring was tiny and inexpensive, but it was a design with sentimental value, so that's all that mattered.
- Gold Boarder
- What a long, strange trip it's been..
Re: Things Not to be Cheap When Buying#232886 1 year, 6 months agoI told my boyfriend of 7 years that he doesn't have to marry me...i just want the hardware! As to not buyikg cheap...I just bought a new sewing machine. Being a professional seamstress/tailor, it's something i would never skimp on. Also, i find it very difficult to spend alot on clothing. I can't help but turn garments inside out & see how much better i can make it. I see too many "quality" garments come to me for repair & they're made like shit.
- Fresh Boarder
- Raised eight boys, only I turned bad
Re: Things Not to be Cheap When Buying#232888 1 year, 6 months agoRunning shoes and, on a related note, running socks. There is a major difference between a good pair of Balegas and some tube socks from Sears.
Surfboards, unless you are lucky enough to have learned to shape your own - and even that can get pretty pricy.
Back in the day, blank cassette tapes. I refused to skimp on bootlegs.
And ditto the toilet paper votes. Mr. Whipple was right.
There are some things which almost make the cut, like bedsheets and cereal (I don't like generic Raisin Bran).
- Junior Boarder
Re: Things Not to be Cheap When Buying#232892 1 year, 6 months ago1) Audio equitment. Buy cheap and you'll be wondering whether to recycle it or throw it out in about a year.
2) Trash bags. Cheap ones break, IF you can manage to open them.
3) Soda. Off brands suck
4) N2O. Guy selling two for five probably has industrial grade or helium.
5) Pillows. Why save two bucks if it will be flat as Herman Munsters head in a month.
6) Motor Oil. You're going to put an off-brand in your engine to save 90 cents?
7) Umbrellas. Cheap umbrellas must be designed for one use.
Cologne. Want to smell like Exit 16A?
9) Taxies. Its yellow or bust.
10) Cigars. If its not a least a buck, you'll just end up feeling sick.
11) Bus travel. If you can't afford Grayhound, don't go.
12) Water pistols. Do you want to shoot your friends or just end up with wet hands?
13) Canned pasta. You really think Chef-Boy-Ar-De it too extravagant?The Deadheads gather at the rim of the volcano to dance and sing joyful songs in honor of their fallen hero.
- Platinum Boarder
Re: Things Not to be Cheap When Buying#232924 1 year, 6 months agoYeah, you probably want to spring for a good para glider or parachute.
They're most likely worth what you spend on them.
I don't smoke, but I can see cigars being worth it too. Some of them, I assume the cheap ones, smell terrible.
Man, we used to have some times at the Vince Lombardi service area in the GOGD days. But the place had that North Jersey smell. I had a girlfriend, Patty, who asked me to kiss her where it stinks, so I took her there.
Toilet paper, running shoes and audio equipment are topping the list.Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.