• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Chester
More or less in line

Re: Things Not to be Cheap When Buying

#232796 1 year, 2 months ago
Yeah, toilet paper should be good quality. But cooking for yourself, instead of going out, not only saves money,
but I'm certain I'm eating better than I would in most restaurants in my price range.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#232800 1 year, 2 months ago
things I'll definitely pay more for:

beer (good ingredients cost more), juice machine, paddle ball, fur lined sinks, dryer sheets, pudding, ice cubes, and of course, ostrich meat.....for the cat. I'm a vegetarian, and have found the best falafel sandwich is actually the least expensive!
Barefoot Mountain Mama
Junior Boarder
If all else fails.... dance

#232816 1 year, 2 months ago
All of these things are best not bought cheep ( especially meds) but two things I haven't seen on the list are hookers & false teeth. ( words of wisdom from my grandfather)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cosmic Arkie
Little Bear
Gold Boarder
...they probably take care of themselves

#232817 1 year, 2 months ago
Well there, of course, are many things on which it's best not to cheap out, but since it is my area of expertise; I would recommend that no-one cheap out on shirts/tiedyes, at shows: Many of the cut-rate tie dyes have not been washed, and will: turn your skin into a robe of many colors when you sweat; will ruin the other clothes in your wash load, indiscriminate of price or designer brand; and will fade in no-time due to the cheap, low quality dye, and failure to set the colors before sale.

-My two cents on I subject I know.
~God bless the Hampton Inn~ ~And You~
The following user(s) said Thank You: mcolleen, Cosmic Arkie
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#232818 1 year, 2 months ago
WINTER CLOTHING !!!!!

If dressed properly for the outdoors from head to toe with quality gear, it's easy to be outside in winter

also automobile brakes and air bags

gone are the days we stopped to decide, where we should go we just ride
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by kevin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#232821 1 year, 2 months ago
SugarMee wrote:
Outdoor, camping, sports, gear and apparel. I can't skimp on this.

Liquor, a nice bottle of vodka beats the alternative. You'll know why tomorrow.
Beer, im not too picky with. I like a good beer, but i drink it all.

Funny you should mention that. Back when I was drinking I used to drink the cheap liquor in quantity, but was really picky about beer, and spent a lot of time with the imports and no cheap ones.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#232822 1 year, 2 months ago
Chester makes an excellent point too. Eating out is expensive and less healthy.

Especially lunch at work for me. That adds up fast, and all the salt, cheese, Trans fats, etc.

I bring the classic PBJ these days, and some fruit.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#232823 1 year, 2 months ago
Little Bear wrote:
Well there, of course, are many things on which it's best not to cheap out, but since it is my area of expertise; I would recommend that no-one cheap out on shirts/tiedyes, at shows: Many of the cut-rate tie dyes have not been washed, and will: turn your skin into a robe of many colors when you sweat; will ruin the other clothes in your wash load, indiscriminate of price or designer brand; and will fade in no-time due to the cheap, low quality dye, and failure to set the colors before sale.

-My two cents on I subject I know.

Of course I never suffer from this problem.

I never find lot shirts that fit me anyway.
SugarMee
Expert Boarder
hay

#232826 1 year, 2 months ago
Ossumpei wrote:
SugarMee wrote:
Outdoor, camping, sports, gear and apparel. I can't skimp on this.

Liquor, a nice bottle of vodka beats the alternative. You'll know why tomorrow.
Beer, im not too picky with. I like a good beer, but i drink it all.

Funny you should mention that. Back when I was drinking I used to drink the cheap liquor in quantity, but was really picky about beer, and spent a lot of time with the imports and no cheap ones.

Yeah, I'm kinda the opposite. I enjoy a good beer, but they tend to fill me up, or sometimes the taste of a better ale...just lingers sometimes and I won't drink as much. If I keep it simple with cheap domestics I can kill it and save a lot of money too.

With liquor, it's a taste, and quality feeling (and an even better feeling the day after) that makes me lean to a higher quality. But that's the case if I know I'm drinking a lot of liquor. If I'm just doing a few shots I'll do whatever is available.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#232861 1 year, 2 months ago
I might be broke and my kids might be starving but I have a Iphone 5;) I need the best phone out there

Great thread
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by 23atwell.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#232872 1 year, 2 months ago
kevin wrote:
Some suggestions of mine would be: audio equipment
Absolutely. I'd extend that to any pastime or hobby that gives you great job. The lesson I mentioned earlier that taught me to not skimp was buying a nice bicycle, but not the one I wanted. I never stopped desiring the other bike, and there's no question I would have enjoyed it enough to justify the additional cost. I'd rather have a great stereo than a nice car. I don't enjoy cars. They get me from A to B. A stereo is the device that is going to expose the most out of the music I enjoy. It's the most important appliance in the house.

Any sports gear, from tennis shoes to hiking boots to backpacks to whatever.

EDIT: that's JOY, not job in the first sentence
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?

It's dead and over when close enough is good enough.
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by ZenoMarx.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#232873 1 year, 2 months ago
With the caveat that of course you shouldn't go into debt or break the bank or otherwise ruin your financial good health, and assuming your partner even wants one, I have to add engagement rings as something not to be a cheapskate about.
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds