• Topics not covered in other forums.
SugarMee
Expert Boarder
hay

Re: Things Not to be Cheap When Buying

#232826 1 year, 7 months ago
Ossumpei wrote:
SugarMee wrote:
Outdoor, camping, sports, gear and apparel. I can't skimp on this.

Liquor, a nice bottle of vodka beats the alternative. You'll know why tomorrow.
Beer, im not too picky with. I like a good beer, but i drink it all.

Funny you should mention that. Back when I was drinking I used to drink the cheap liquor in quantity, but was really picky about beer, and spent a lot of time with the imports and no cheap ones.

Yeah, I'm kinda the opposite. I enjoy a good beer, but they tend to fill me up, or sometimes the taste of a better ale...just lingers sometimes and I won't drink as much. If I keep it simple with cheap domestics I can kill it and save a lot of money too.

With liquor, it's a taste, and quality feeling (and an even better feeling the day after) that makes me lean to a higher quality. But that's the case if I know I'm drinking a lot of liquor. If I'm just doing a few shots I'll do whatever is available.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#232861 1 year, 7 months ago
I might be broke and my kids might be starving but I have a Iphone 5;) I need the best phone out there

Great thread
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by 23atwell.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#232872 1 year, 7 months ago
kevin wrote:
Some suggestions of mine would be: audio equipment
Absolutely. I'd extend that to any pastime or hobby that gives you great job. The lesson I mentioned earlier that taught me to not skimp was buying a nice bicycle, but not the one I wanted. I never stopped desiring the other bike, and there's no question I would have enjoyed it enough to justify the additional cost. I'd rather have a great stereo than a nice car. I don't enjoy cars. They get me from A to B. A stereo is the device that is going to expose the most out of the music I enjoy. It's the most important appliance in the house.

Any sports gear, from tennis shoes to hiking boots to backpacks to whatever.

EDIT: that's JOY, not job in the first sentence
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by ZenoMarx.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#232873 1 year, 7 months ago
With the caveat that of course you shouldn't go into debt or break the bank or otherwise ruin your financial good health, and assuming your partner even wants one, I have to add engagement rings as something not to be a cheapskate about.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#232875 1 year, 7 months ago
and around the dark corner we go...
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#232879 1 year, 7 months ago
Well...that's a touchy subject Sue.

Love is beyond the material, and a ring is just a token...

Is an expensive one to impress someone?
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Strider1
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#232882 1 year, 7 months ago
Ossumpei wrote:
Well...that's a touchy subject Sue.

Love is beyond the material, and a ring is just a token...

Is an expensive one to impress someone?

I'm sorry if that sounded cold or overly materialistic, I was trying to be a bit tongue in cheek, actually. Love is certainly the most important factor in any engagement. A ring isn't even an important thing to some people, but if you're going to get one as a symbol of a permanent commitment, then be thoughtful about it, and get something meaningful. My ring was tiny and inexpensive, but it was a design with sentimental value, so that's all that mattered.
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by SunshineSue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei
karenrose
Platinum Boarder
What a long, strange trip it's been..

#232886 1 year, 7 months ago
I told my boyfriend of 7 years that he doesn't have to marry me...i just want the hardware! As to not buyikg cheap...I just bought a new sewing machine. Being a professional seamstress/tailor, it's something i would never skimp on. Also, i find it very difficult to spend alot on clothing. I can't help but turn garments inside out & see how much better i can make it. I see too many "quality" garments come to me for repair & they're made like shit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
Warlock
Platinum Boarder

#232887 1 year, 7 months ago
yeah when it comes to my music, I don't do cheap. whether it's my stereo components,my tv,my car radio, it's worth spending good money
crazychestersdog
Fresh Boarder
Raised eight boys, only I turned bad

#232888 1 year, 7 months ago
Running shoes and, on a related note, running socks. There is a major difference between a good pair of Balegas and some tube socks from Sears.

Surfboards, unless you are lucky enough to have learned to shape your own - and even that can get pretty pricy.

Back in the day, blank cassette tapes. I refused to skimp on bootlegs.

And ditto the toilet paper votes. Mr. Whipple was right.

There are some things which almost make the cut, like bedsheets and cereal (I don't like generic Raisin Bran).
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds