• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

Things Not to be Cheap When Buying

#232725 1 year, 8 months ago
We all have a budget we need to stick to. We all also try to find ways to save when and where we can. I've known people who always bought the cheapest generic stuff they could find, and I never understood that. Generic cigs, getting the 100's because there's more, and beer, and shoes, clothes, food...you know the story.

Being frugal is OK, don't get me wrong, and there are lots of ways to do so. But there's some things you should be willing to spend a little more on and get the good stuff.

Here's my theory on what not to be cheap about when you buy them.

Shoes, your feet are very important, and their health should be taken seriously. The good ones pay for them self in comfort, arch support, style and longevity.

Eye ware, glasses and sun glasses. Hey, its your eyes, hello...

Mattress, a good nights sleep is so beneficial to the rest of your day, and every day for the rest of your life. It affects everything you do.

Tires for your car. Safety first. This one doesn't mean you have to have the ultra expensive best ones, get a good set, but you need to keep them updated. Don't let them get bald and think its OK.

Healthy food can be cheap, veggies and beans and all that good stuff. Cheap food, fast food, starchy box meals etc, are just that, cheap. The sugars and sodium etc will kill you, or at least make you unhealthy and unhappy in the long run. Definitely look into a good diet.

I like to have good clothes, but its not as critical. I go to Marshalls and buy closeouts etc, so its a lot cheaper than first run stuff, I never buy that.

Anyone else have any ideas we can share on this.

Plus, ways to get good items cheaply, like the clothes thing. EBay is pretty good fur stuff like shoes and clothes that fit my fatazz, but I would be careful of knock off sunglasses and other items.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin, i_be_sublime
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: Things Not to be Cheap When Buying

#232751 1 year, 8 months ago
I'll second shoes, for sure! Too many crappy pairs of Payless shoes did not help my feet at all!!

Another thing that's worth it is REAL, high quality vanilla extract (ideally from Madagascar), not the imitation crap, and butter not margarine. One taste of my baking and you won't argue!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei, karenrose
theotherone
Junior Boarder

#232757 1 year, 8 months ago
Saw a very funny list of "Things NOT to buy at Harobr Freight" (if they sold them)....the only one I can remember right now was pacemakers.
......While the Music Plays the Band.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei
mcolleen
Junior Boarder
You are the song that the morning brings

#232758 1 year, 8 months ago
"Cheap is good. And Sushi, good. Cheap gas station sushi, not so good."
"The breeze would pause to listen in"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei, i_be_sublime, SunshineSue
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#232760 1 year, 8 months ago
ostrich meat
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#232765 1 year, 8 months ago
I overheard a conversation a couple women were having about dollar store eye makeup. How they would never put dollar store makeup near their eyes. I laughed, but I had to admit they had a point.

Be easier to maybe list things I feel you should buy cheap. I learned early on that I would rather go without than to buy cheap on most things. I find myself having to re-buy stuff that I skimped on the first time, and that is a whole other feeling of frustration. I'd rather live without and save and save so I can buy the best, or as near the best as is reasonable. Some folks take pride in buying cheap stuff. It's part of their identity. No judgment, but I do find it glaring and interesting when I run into that perspective. Sort of like those who take pride in everything in their house being from Walmart. Ethics aside, I find that type of self-identity be be every bit as strange as the Beverly Hills stereotypes.

I like quality, and it costs to get it. The food thing gets more important the older you get, but unfortunately, in our climate, there's too much money to be made in quality branded foods now, so they're busy pulling bullshit and playing loopholes with the FDA, so even when you try to buy quality and eat well, the business sector is busy trying to feed you shit. It's a constant battle. It's sad.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei, SugarMee
66slim
Platinum Boarder

#232766 1 year, 8 months ago
TOILET PAPER!
And leave it on!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei, i_be_sublime, Wundurland
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#232767 1 year, 8 months ago
Great thread, ossumpei, Many things are ok at a less expensive price, others not so much. You were spot on with your top 4,

Some suggestions of mine would be: audio equipment, ganga and hotel rooms exactly in that order
-- smell every flower --
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei, kfender
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#232788 1 year, 8 months ago
Definitely spices, makes a big difference. Sushi too. Actuall all of these are good suggestions.

Now for the real debate.... What about concert tickets?

Some folks are happy just to get in, others need to cram up in the front row no matter the cost.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#232789 1 year, 8 months ago
And good ganja or none for me. I live in the no Schwag zone when it comes to that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kfender, mcolleen, karenrose
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds