• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Typ0
Junior Boarder

Re: furthur shows you never hear about

#232919 1 year, 6 months ago
tinyrager.com/2010/08/04/furthur-nokia-t...mes-square-07-28-10/

found this. Scroll down the whole el paso is there. Something is really wrong with Bob here you can see everything that happens on stage...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sustainabill
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

#232969 1 year, 5 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
You guys are onto something with that 2010 winter tour. The stretch I hit (Broomfield > Portland > San Francisco) was a blast. The inaugural Broomfield and Phil's 70th birthday shows have been mentioned but never Portland and that is still in my top 5 Furthur shows. A handful of rare songs plus that killer 2nd set.

archive.org/details/furthur2010-03-08.be....weber.106803.flac16

Furthur
March 8, 2010
Portland Memorial Coliseum
Portland, OR

Set 1

Picasso Moon
Dupree's Diamond Blues
Friend Of The Devil
Mama Tried
Built To Last
Black Throated Wind
Peaceful Valley
Passenger

Set 2

Scarlet Begonias>
Fire On The Mountain>
Hell In A Bucket
West L.A. Fadeaway
Reuben And Cerise
Days Between
China Cat Sunflower>
I Know You Rider

E:
Knockin' On Heaven's Door>
Touch Of Grey

This was the one that I also feel is fairly unknown. I suggested it to Connor when he was often requesting Picasso Moon, but he had not heard this version. Black-Throated Wind was delightful, and the second set,and encore left us wanting more...and we got it a couple of days later in San Francisco for Phil's birthday show!

Here's the link to the soundboard: archive.org/details/furthur2010-03-08.sb...ficial.112972.flac16
Thank You Jerry
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

#232972 1 year, 5 months ago
Typ0 wrote:
tinyrager.com/2010/08/04/furthur-nokia-t...mes-square-07-28-10/

found this. Scroll down the whole el paso is there. Something is really wrong with Bob here you can see everything that happens on stage...

He appears dosed to me. Particularly the way he comes in and out. If you have ever taken ALOT at once you know this is what happens, in a kind of rhythmic way.

This happened all the time back in the day (Acid Tests particularly) but the rest of the band just went with it rather than focus on the negative energy of the moment. This IS what the dead is all about from the begining. If Phil would have played it cool and just used it as a moment to jam out, the whole thing could have turned into a nice moment.
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

#232974 1 year, 5 months ago
SkiNose wrote:
Portland, Memorial Coliseum February March, 2010. Amazing Blackthroated/Scarlet Fire/West La....
I agree... (month corrected)
Thank You Jerry
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#232993 1 year, 5 months ago
Sustainabill wrote:
Denver Man wrote:
You guys are onto something with that 2010 winter tour. The stretch I hit (Broomfield > Portland > San Francisco) was a blast. The inaugural Broomfield and Phil's 70th birthday shows have been mentioned but never Portland and that is still in my top 5 Furthur shows. A handful of rare songs plus that killer 2nd set.

archive.org/details/furthur2010-03-08.be....weber.106803.flac16

Furthur
March 8, 2010
Portland Memorial Coliseum
Portland, OR

Set 1

Picasso Moon
Dupree's Diamond Blues
Friend Of The Devil
Mama Tried
Built To Last
Black Throated Wind
Peaceful Valley
Passenger

Set 2

Scarlet Begonias>
Fire On The Mountain>
Hell In A Bucket
West L.A. Fadeaway
Reuben And Cerise
Days Between
China Cat Sunflower>
I Know You Rider

E:
Knockin' On Heaven's Door>
Touch Of Grey

This was the one that I also feel is fairly unknown. I suggested it to Connor when he was often requesting Picasso Moon, but he had not heard this version. Black-Throated Wind was delightful, and the second set,and encore left us wanting more...and we got it a couple of days later in San Francisco for Phil's birthday show!

Here's the link to the soundboard: archive.org/details/furthur2010-03-08.sb...ficial.112972.flac16

Cool you guys. I will add one more vote here as well.

Handn't even heard of Furthur until about a week before the show. I am like "Furthur???" when my bros mentioned the name and said it was Bob and Phil and the dude from DSO. What????? Well that sure sounds like a lot of fun.

Then I get calls from them at Broomfield. They are blown away and say I have to go, so I do.

Unfortunately I dont get floor GA ticks and end up in the bowl, by myself. But of course not as I hook up with a bro from Boulder who is trippin'. I'm thinking "man, that sure sounds like fun" and "it has been a long time".

And the key moment for me that night is the start of Scarlet. The last time I was in this building it was summer of 1983 to see the GD with my then gf (and her mom of all things). They played my first Scarlet > Fire that night, the one song I had been yearning to see them play in my first 3 years of getting on the bus. Thought for sure I would get one at the Greek in May that year but not to be so.

So we had only ok ticks, and decide to work our way to the front for the 2nd set, and do (with the mom, maybe that helped). And then Jerry hits that chord. That B chord. Bum bump!!!! Have a listen:

archive.org/details/gd1983-08-26.110903....aweez.D5scott.flac16

And I might as well have been 17 again. They hit Scarlet and man it hits me. I love this place, I love this music, I love these people, I love this scene and I AM FREE!!!!

Cant say that I have the 100+ Furthur shows, but can say that I have been on a great ride with them for the last 3 years:

PDX ('10)
Cuthbert ('10/'11)
Edgefield ('12)
Vegas ('11)
Broomfield ('11)
BGCA ('11/'12)
TXR ('12)
Greek ('10/'11/'12)
SB Bowl ('10/'12)
MCU Park ('12)
Bethel ('12)
Sweetwater ('13)
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#233204 1 year, 5 months ago
archive.org/details/furthur2011-03-17.sb...ficial.113508.flac16

st patties day '11

one and only whiskey in the jar, first 5 tunes had whiskey references

2nd set was jam after jam after jam after jam you get it.

everybody and their brother/sister got arrested that day. rough scene in the parking lot. but a slammin' show.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
bxorain
Senior Boarder

#233216 1 year, 5 months ago
Highland Bowl in Rochester when they just started to build up some momentum. Unreal!! I believe they did strawberry fields and time...great venue, great atmosphere!!
Bacon Rocks
Senior Boarder

#233222 1 year, 5 months ago
sweetwilliamisdead wrote:
SugarMee wrote:
archive.org/details/furthur2011-07-28.av...yonsos.115580.flac16

Raleigh NC, a big mixup with the venue on the day of show. But worth it tho, Gloria, No more do I, Hard rains a gonna fall, Next time you see me, I only saw NC, SC, and GA on the tail end of the '11 summer tour. I was impressed with the level of energy the band was bringing..the Simpsonville show is a really good example of not what they play, but how they play. Looks average from the outside yet the band was firing on all cylinders.

I did that run of shows too, plus the fla show. Simpsonville was the best by far, the band was seamless that night, the boys brought their good shit for one of their few ever stops in sc. The raleigh show for me on paper is real sweet but in reality it was very odd and not great for me. I saw a guy pass out and have to be carried out by ems, I saw a near fight because these people tried to make a freaking huge area for there two under ten year old kids sleep on the lawn during second set and tried to keep everyone way away from it, and maybe most of all I saw alot of people totally detached from the music. The first time me and friends ever left a furthur show and asked each other what the fuck did we just see, in a bad way. its funny how much the experience varies from individual to individual.

3/18/2011 at tower theater is pretty sweet. they pull out a rosemary and the second set is a boogie fest with a top notch eyes as well as a lot of other classic tunes.

as far as off the grid shows go, i'm going with a couple of southern classics. The Simpsonville show was at an obscure venue that was extremely difficult to find, just a field in the red clay. Seldom do i hear people talk about this show, hard to believe more than a couple thousand people made it this day. It took almost a year for it to appear on the archive.
And my second obscure show would be Atlanta last summer, for the simple fact that it is not yet to appear on the archive yet either. some overlooked shows imo.
I was standing at the corner
Talking to Miss Brown
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#233245 1 year, 5 months ago
It's funny that the 7/28/10 Best Buys show shows up on thread about shows you never hear about. This show for better or worse remains one of the most talked about Furthur shows, though not for the music played that night.
B-Rad writes: "This happened all the time back in the day (Acid Tests particularly) but the rest of the band just went with it rather than focus on the negative energy of the moment. This IS what the dead is all about from the begining. If Phil would have played it cool and just used it as a moment to jam out, the whole thing could have turned into a nice moment."
I was at this show, and IMHO this statement is just so off base as to how Phil responded. As the video shows, during El Paso Bob steps up twice to sing, and just can't. It's almost like he was grasping to remember the words, but could not remember them, or they wouldn't come out. Both Phil and John knew something was wrong, as did everyone else in the theater. After the a second attempt by Bob to sing failed, the rest of the band kept on 'jamming'. Then Phil signaled John to end it, because it was obvious that the lyrics were not coming. At least twice during the first set, Phil leaned over to Bob to see if he was okay, and Bob signaled that he was. There was nothing negative said or done by either Phil or anyone else. The show must and did go on.
B-Rad writes: "the whole thing could have turned into a nice moment." I dont think so. When a singer tries to sing and can't that is just not a "nice moment. "B-Rad also writes "If Phil would have played it cool." From what I saw, there was concern showed about Bob's inability to function. I was impressed by the professionalism both Phil and John displayed. For the rest of the show they totally stepped up and gave everything they had to give. When one out of five musicians isn't there, what else can one do. The only other option would have been to end the show. IMHO the rest of the musicians raised their imput and played big time. All of this was lost in the shuffle, because of what happened to Bob.
The next night, Phil opened the show by telling Bob "Never drink out of something you haven't poured yourself." Phil then hugged Bob. What a kind way to break the tension that existed because of what happened the previous night. The good news was that the whole band sounded fine. I am not sure what more Phil could have done, either at the first or second Best Buy show. B-Rad is entitled to state his opinion about how he feels Phil responded. I saw something that was completely different; professionalism and grace under pressure. It's all good and here we are two and one half years later, and the band keeps playin on.
Last Edit: 1 year, 5 months ago by nycdave. Reason: Just Besause
pmcall1
Fresh Boarder

#233262 1 year, 5 months ago
bxorain wrote:
Highland Bowl in Rochester when they just started to build up some momentum. Unreal!! I believe they did strawberry fields and time...great venue, great atmosphere!!

One of my all time favorite all around Furthur shows. The venue,the weather, the music and the pepole that night were fantastic. I got goosebumps several times during that show.

I remember pulling into town-finding a parking spot on a random street- and logging into frontgate to buy tix for the Stroudsburg show. Then headed for the venue, and drove past it twice before I realized it. It was in this little park with a sloping grassy hill.
Last Edit: 1 year, 5 months ago by pmcall1.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#233270 1 year, 5 months ago
Rarely a mention -

Shoreline 2011

Ooooo weeee momma!!

archive.org/details/furthur2011-06-03.sb...ficial.113925.flac16

6/3/2011
Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, CA

I: Here Comes the Sun, Jack Straw, Bertha, Pride of Cucamonga, Cumberland Blues, Deal > The Other One > Hell in a Bucket

II: Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower, St. Stephen > The Eleven > The Mountain Song > Playin in the Band > Uncle John's Band > Morning Dew > Uncle John's Band > Playin in the Band (reprise)

E: Touch of Grey

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

archive.org/details/furthur2011-06-04.sb...ficial.113926.flac16

6/4/2011

I: Jam > Truckin > New Speedway Boogie, It's All Over Now, Reuben and Cerise, Tennessee Jed, Loose Lucy, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider

II: Weather Report Suite Prelude/Part 1 > Let It Grow, Eyes of the World > She Came in Through the Bathroom Window > The Wheel > Shakedown Street, Standing on the Moon, Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain > Not Fade Away

E: One More Saturday Night
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#233279 1 year, 5 months ago
Another swell show:
Feb. 24, 2010
Radio City Music Hall