• Topics not covered in other forums.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

today in GD history 1/28

#232633 1 year, 8 months ago
01/28/66- The Matrix - San Francisco, CA
01/28/67- Avalon Ballroom - San Francisco, CA
01/28/87- San Francisco Civic - San Francisco, CA

just heard the 87' show. only Get Back ever played. Not a bad show but I don't think I've ever heard so many forgotten lyrics throughout a show, on both Jerry and Bob's end. almost sounded on purpose sometimes it was so often.

archive.org/details/gd1987-01-28.sbd.wal....miller.83286.flac16
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
jcmarckx
Fresh Boarder

Re: today in GD history 1/28

#232656 1 year, 8 months ago
I was at the 87 show. Pretty rough. They were just not synced up at this one. I remember a story that Bob had to put down Otis during the afternoon of this show. May or may not be true, but it's what I remember.

I also remember Billy getting pissed off and storming off stage When Jerry started up Eyes instead of doing a Space. I think Billy wanted a break, so he bailed and Mickey plays that Eyes solo.

joel
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, MushroomMan
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#232679 1 year, 8 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
01/28/66- The Matrix - San Francisco, CA
01/28/67- Avalon Ballroom - San Francisco, CA
01/28/87- San Francisco Civic - San Francisco, CA

just heard the 87' show. only Get Back ever played. Not a bad show but I don't think I've ever heard so many forgotten lyrics throughout a show, on both Jerry and Bob's end. almost sounded on purpose sometimes it was so often.

archive.org/details/gd1987-01-28.sbd.wal....miller.83286.flac16

Yeah it's a little rough In my opinion, it took awhile for the band to get in sych till later in the year (maybe even not till 88 or even 89, I personally think 87 was a fairly weak year)
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder

#232680 1 year, 8 months ago
I have not listened to 1/28/67 but yesterday I listened to 1/27/67, pretty rough recording but man the show was sweet - a 22 minute Viola lee, an almost 18 minute alligator and a 20 minute caution... I also listened to Steve Miller Blues Band 1/27/67 at the Matrix down the street! That's a sweet ass show. Steve Miller and the GD, same night, same city .. totally cool..
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#232688 1 year, 8 months ago
I know imagine that, to bad it wasn't the same bill and you had to choose one. There are quite a few good 66 recordings out there but that show you mention sounds sweet as short songs were more common then.... not that theres anything wrong with them. they did a lot of cool little songs back then

there actually are no recordings of 1/28/66 or 1/28/67
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by MushroomMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder

#232689 1 year, 8 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
I know imagine that, to bad it wasn't the same bill and you had to choose one. There are quite a few good 66 recordings out there but that show you mention sounds sweet as short songs were more common then.... not that theres anything wrong with them. they did a lot of cool little songs back then

there actually are no recordings of 1/28/66 or 1/28/67

Oh man yeah the short songs sure but Steve Miller does an 18 minute and a 23 minute jam in this show... far out stuff. I'll send you the recording ... and other stuff like that too man, let me know..
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds