• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
DancinBear
Junior Boarder

Re: Joe Russo's Almost Dead Band

#232805 1 year, 6 months ago
rippleish20 wrote:
Bakes wrote:
eeek. It's okay. Nothing to get excited about. Just another cover band with decent musicians. Very un-original IMO.

I agree 100% wit this statement. I think it's funny the NYCTaper guy denigrates post Jerry bands like Furthur but thinks this is an important development. The Sweetwater Furthur shows, and the God Street Wine rambles, Phil & friends with Jackie, Phil and Friends with Scofield, are much more interesting to me than this.

A lot of people seem to have this attitude that any post Jerry band with a guitarist who sounds remotely like Jerry sucks and any band that has a guitarist that sounds nothing like Jerry is awesome.

I'm excited to see where Joe takes this. He does not have a deadhead background so it will be fun to see what direction it goes. The only way this music survives is if there are new people and different people to listen to it. This was their 1st time out and it was really good. To compare these guys to Bob and Phil is unfair, on a GD level and a musician (bob and phil have been playing longer than these guys have been alive.) Im excited to see where the nondead backgrounds will take the music furthur.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#232827 1 year, 6 months ago
Benevento and Russo are best friends. Ive seen them a bunch of times prior to any Furthur with Russo. I think it sounds very good.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#232829 1 year, 6 months ago
DancinBear wrote:
rippleish20 wrote:
Bakes wrote:
eeek. It's okay. Nothing to get excited about. Just another cover band with decent musicians. Very un-original IMO.

I agree 100% wit this statement. I think it's funny the NYCTaper guy denigrates post Jerry bands like Furthur but thinks this is an important development. The Sweetwater Furthur shows, and the God Street Wine rambles, Phil & friends with Jackie, Phil and Friends with Scofield, are much more interesting to me than this.

A lot of people seem to have this attitude that any post Jerry band with a guitarist who sounds remotely like Jerry sucks and any band that has a guitarist that sounds nothing like Jerry is awesome.

I'm excited to see where Joe takes this. He does not have a deadhead background so it will be fun to see what direction it goes. The only way this music survives is if there are new people and different people to listen to it. This was their 1st time out and it was really good. To compare these guys to Bob and Phil is unfair, on a GD level and a musician (bob and phil have been playing longer than these guys have been alive.) Im excited to see where the nondead backgrounds will take the music furthur.

I think it's great that others are bands with 'nondead' backgrounds are doing dead material and I think its great you found it to be exciting. I listened to the board and I found it to be bleah; I don't find it exciting at all. I also feel the same way about DSO. There's something missing to me. On the other hand, I listen to Jackie Greene, who also did not have a deadhead background, and it just touches me. I also am hopeful for 'Grateful Dead' thing to continue after Jerry and Bob. I just place my enthusiasm for that day on people like Jackie Greene, JK, Chimenti, even the GSW guys.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DancinBear
newyawker
Platinum Boarder

#232833 1 year, 6 months ago
Russo is singing on St Stphen and Franklins. Give it a listen. THis is very impressive that these guys got together and pulled this off
newyawker
Platinum Boarder

#232834 1 year, 6 months ago
Listen to this. Tom Hamilton.

archive.org/details/thamilton2003-12-28.shnf
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#232835 1 year, 6 months ago
rippleish20 wrote:
DancinBear wrote:
rippleish20 wrote:
Bakes wrote:

I think it's great that others are bands with 'nondead' backgrounds are doing dead material and I think its great you found it to be exciting. I listened to the board and I found it to be bleah; I don't find it exciting at all. I also feel the same way about DSO. There's something missing to me. On the other hand, I listen to Jackie Greene, who also did not have a deadhead background, and it just touches me. I also am hopeful for 'Grateful Dead' thing to continue after Jerry and Bob. I just place my enthusiasm for that day on people like Jackie Greene, JK, Chimenti, even the GSW guys.

I think that's part of the reason that I'm such a huge Warren fan, when he does Dead tunes he makes them his own and does a great job with it.
The voices tell me what to say
The following user(s) said Thank You: DancinBear, SugarMee
spazman
Junior Boarder

#233071 1 year, 6 months ago
Not to change subject but you guys should check out John K.band.Johnny rocks .Seen them twice .To each his own.Everyone be open minded.
OtherOne
Junior Boarder

#233092 1 year, 6 months ago
That Russo set is one of the most refreshing takes on GD music I've heard in a long time (including anything Bob and Phil are doing at this point.) So great to hear some primal energy, soaring jams and new directions. My god I wish Furthur would step up the tempo on some of these tunes like this band has!! Excellent stuff!
DancinBear
Junior Boarder

#233093 1 year, 6 months ago
spazman wrote:
Not to change subject but you guys should check out John K.band.Johnny rocks .Seen them twice .To each his own.Everyone be open minded.

I totally love john k band. Have not seen them in person but love what I've seen on youtube.
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#233105 1 year, 6 months ago
spazman wrote:

I've grown to like JKs band quite a bit but have only heard streams of some of the more recent shows. I would love to see them...
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds