• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

Re: TXR/TRI/SW Ticket prices

#232182 1 year, 2 months ago
Tickets didn't hit $20 until the 90's maybe the very late 80's..

I cringe when people tell other people to "shut the fuck up" when they are just having a conversation ... sheesh.. it's scary how much anger and disrespect there is in the world..
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker, NobleGlassArt
NobleGlassArt
Gold Boarder

#232186 1 year, 2 months ago
I don't think this is an issue people should be getting angry about. The prices don't seem all that unreasonable to me, just think what would happen if shows like Ogden were done Dutch auction style.
Twenty-seven years of nothing but failures and promises that I couldn't keep
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#232205 1 year, 2 months ago
DM and NY, still have to politely disagree. all the experiences in the world do not make up for an experience you have not had. you never know what's going to happen for one particular show. EVER. you don't know if it's worth it until you've done it. you can speculate all you want on it and even make false and biased conclusions, but until you do it, YOU WILL NEVER KNOW for sure. you will always think you know.

i have nothing else to say on this.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Carl
Junior Boarder

#232208 1 year, 2 months ago
newyawker wrote:
Carl:

Your above 2 posts reflect a misunderstanding of the thread at hand. It may in fact refute Burts thought that experience must precede valid opinion. I do not know you, never experienced you in person, yet I am not reluctant to conclude you are a noodle. The cacophony posts you just uttered smack of rash unfounded slams against my position. Let me turn your opinion against you, if you have nothing constructive to say, then don't offer your 2 cents please. Turn the station if you do not like the show.

ps; Tickets were not $20 in the 70's. The were in the single digits. Do some research before you speak.

this thread topic has been debated and debated and debated on this board. not a single new idea has been shared. i did not misunderstand your position newyawker. i just think its wrong, and i think you people who keep bringing it up and complaining about prices on here have no conception of what it costs to put on an event like these. you guys are the negative ones. you may not like my use of the phrase 'shut the fuck up' but i do not regret saying that. when people talk unfounded shit about something i love, thats my response. you wanna keep talking shit about the group for playing these shows and charging these prices then i'll say it again. stfu about it. you are wrong. this topic is dead. The band is not greedy. I did not see a show till the very late 80's so im not gonna claim otherwise, but my guesstimate of tic prices in the 70's is not far off at all. I have located numerous pics of tic stubs online that say anything from 7-18 dollars. all in the 1970's. all you haters should eat one.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#232219 1 year, 2 months ago
wlewis wrote:
DM and NY, still have to politely disagree. all the experiences in the world do not make up for an experience you have not had. you never know what's going to happen for one particular show. EVER. you don't know if it's worth it until you've done it. you can speculate all you want on it and even make false and biased conclusions, but until you do it, YOU WILL NEVER KNOW for sure. you will always think you know.

i have nothing else to say on this.

Burt:

thank you kindly for the generous opinion of yours. Believe you me, this is not an issue I am going to break fellowship over. I will reiterate my appreciation of your take on any GD show even if you never saw them. I must not be an intimate fellow!!!! The energy at an MSG show with 25k people in attendance is as intimate as I need brother.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#232229 1 year, 2 months ago
this has nothing to do with GD man. you can take my opinion on the music because it's available for me to listen to. you should not take my opinion on the scene or the vibe or anything having to do with actually being there, because i wasn't. just how i would take your opinion on the music coming out of terrapin crossroads if you listened to a recording. totally valid. but, once you started commenting about what it's like inside or to be there, you'd be overstepping your boundaries. like saying that you know if it was worth being there for the show without being there.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#232238 1 year, 2 months ago
Hey now, I would pay $150 to see a TXR show (well if it is Furthur or a sweet P&F line up i.e. not Phil and Sons) I don't have to experience it first to know that I would pay that, I still don't understand why it is necessary to be there to have an opinion. Do I think it is too much to pay ... yes I do but I would still pay it. Why can't it just be as simple as that?

Carl - ummm yeah, you seem like a real nice chap to hang out with errr ummm yeah .. have a great day man..
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker, 23atwell
newyawker
Platinum Boarder

#232245 1 year, 2 months ago
wlewis wrote:
this has nothing to do with GD man. you can take my opinion on the music because it's available for me to listen to. you should not take my opinion on the scene or the vibe or anything having to do with actually being there, because i wasn't. just how i would take your opinion on the music coming out of terrapin crossroads if you listened to a recording. totally valid. but, once you started commenting about what it's like inside or to be there, you'd be overstepping your boundaries. like saying that you know if it was worth being there for the show without being there.

Burt, we have reached an impasse man. I understand your position and it has an amount of validity. Like I mentioned above, historically for me, the size of a venue did not influence my opinion of a show much. I enjoyed certain venues more than others, but I have seen great shows and bad shows at most of them. I never did say that i could comment on the vibe or the scene as well as one who is physically there. I cannot say how the tables are arranged or where the bathrooms are neither. What i can do is use my ability of and knowledge of the past experiences and make a valid opinion on the cost. Ive seen Furthur. I heard music at a small intimate venue. I can put those 2 together and come to a reasonable conclusion. Take the same band, the same setlists note for note. See it at MSG for 60 bucks, then 150 at TXR. I honestly do not see the justification because of size. For me personally, being in a room with 300 people will not affect my judgment vs 25k people.

Let me ask you this Burt or anyone, what price if ever charged would be too high to see Furthur. Regardless if one can afford it or not.

Again, thank you for the balanced discussion Burt
newyawker
Platinum Boarder

#232246 1 year, 2 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
Hey now, I would pay $150 to see a TXR show (well if it is Furthur or a sweet P&F line up i.e. not Phil and Sons) I don't have to experience it first to know that I would pay that, I still don't understand why it is necessary to be there to have an opinion. Do I think it is too much to pay ... yes I do but I would still pay it. Why can't it just be as simple as that?

Carl - ummm yeah, you seem like a real nice chap to hang out with errr ummm yeah .. have a great day man..

You just took the words out of my next post DM. If a person can decide to pay $150 too see Furthur without ever experiencing the venue first, then the opposite must hold true. A person can decide its too much without experiencing the venue.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#232252 1 year, 2 months ago
opnions are fine i was clear about that. but that's all they are, just opinions. and if i am going to look into anybodys opinion on anything, i'm going for the one with experience in whatever it might be. primary source vs. secondary source. no brainer when you want to draw serious conclusions.

to answer your question, i think $150 is too high to see furthur. i've never spent that much to see them and i'm not sure if i will. i had no problem payig 150 bucks to see PLQ, and no issues paying to see phil with medeski and scofield. now, that doesn't mean a furthur show wouldn't be worth 150 bucks. i don't know. i won't know for sure until i make that leap if i choose to.

" If a person can decide to pay $150 too see Furthur without ever experiencing the venue first, then the opposite must hold true. A person can decide its too much without experiencing the venue. "

you can decide whatever and make it your opinion.

the person buying the ticket before experiencing is waiting to find out if it's worth it. they are taking the risk. they aren't sure if it's worth it yet. they will draw their conclusion afterward.

deciding it's too much and not going is another opinion and valid, but you'll never know if it's true or not. it will remain a preconceived notion.
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds