• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Re: TXR/TRI/SW Ticket prices

#231829 1 year, 7 months ago
wlewis wrote:
you are veering away from what i said man. you don't know if it's worth it until you do it. once you've done it, you can conclude it was or was not worth it.

you can give all the opinions you want, but im an experience kind of person. i need to find out for myself, i don't dream up scenarios and tell myself how i would feel in a certain situation without finding out.
you can't simulate the experience of being there or imagine it, you don't know what kind of energy exchange is going ot take place or where your mind is going to take you in that moment.

as for your GD comment. i am not sitting here telling you how a GD show was. i don't know, and i wouldn't sit here and act like i did. i could certainly voice an opinion on the music itself, but that's not crazy because it's so readily available for listen.

if i was given two opinions on something, let's say a bass guitar. one dude has played the bass the other hasn't. the guy who played the bass said you definitely want to try this bass out. the guy who didn't, says no, that bass is no good, but he never played it. he has preconceived notions about said bass. something is telling him to not even try it, something in his head. something like a prior predisposition perhaps. maybe he thinks it's a low quality bass. but does he know how it's going to sound if he never played it? no, he doesn't. he thinks he does.

I can agree somehwat with this analogy Burt. Yet as with all situations there is a limitation on how far one can take it. The point I was making about a GD show with you is that your opinion would be valid in my book because you have experienced their music. Probably more than some people who actually attended a show. I would never say that your assessment on a certain show is less valid becaue you never saw them live at all. Because of your musical ability and ear, you bring this general knowledge to any discussion about music in general, specifically the GD or any offshoot.

Yet it still isnt exactly the same as experience = validity of opinion on the cost of a ticket. Again I am not saying that ayone who says it is worth it is a fool. The price hasnt reached that limit yet. And as far as my analogy goes, I do not see any difference.

MSN homepage had some rridiculous costing meals on it yesterday. Some $5000 burger. a $2500 dessert. I am not of the persuation that says I cannot say it is not worth it because i have not tried it.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by newyawker.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder

#231831 1 year, 7 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
a good discussion but I think I gotta go with the point that to give a true opinion if the show is worth $150 your going to have to experience it...

you don't have to experience it to think the price is to high or that the band shouldn't charge that much just because of the 'way things always were' or whatever... but to give an opinion if the experience is worth $150 - how can you without experiencing it?

The same way I would take your opinion on 1974 MM. I mean can you not conclude that if Furthur charges $150.00 a ticket, that a show with your Seastones in it should be worth much more even though you werent even born? I think you may pay a grand if you could go back in time for one of those shows!!!!! It still boils down to the intimacy factor which I believe is given too much weight in this matter. I am not even sure if intimacy could make a shitty show somewhat palitable. And again if it only held 50 or 100 people, would that make a big difference? I think not. There were many shows that if I was the only person in attendance, I would still say it sucked.
NobleGlassArt
Gold Boarder

#231880 1 year, 7 months ago
I've never been to a GD(as a child) or Furthur show, and afterwards walked out saying "That sucked"
Twenty-seven years of nothing but failures and promises that I couldn't keep
newyawker
Platinum Boarder

#231910 1 year, 7 months ago
NobleGlassArt wrote:
I've never been to a GD(as a child) or Furthur show, and afterwards walked out saying "That sucked"

i was using hyperbole man. I could have expressed the same sentiment a different way.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#232010 1 year, 7 months ago
I'm taking a wild stab in the dark here but I'm guessing newyawker has been to a few shows in his day intimate, huge and every venue size in between and therefore could make a reasonable guess as to whether the price is worth it, etc etc, Sure being there and 1st hand experience is definitely the best way to make an assessment but I would trust his best guess.

I think ticket price is irrelevant ... I can't decide what a concert should cost anymore, they all seem pretty expensive to me generally speaking but it's whether I want to spend the money or not simple as that. You don't even want to know how much $$ I have spent on VIP stuff the last couple of years Was it worth it? In most cases hell yes. Others may not and probably would not agree but that's not for me to worry about.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: nycdave, newyawker
newyawker
Platinum Boarder

#232158 1 year, 7 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
I'm taking a wild stab in the dark here but I'm guessing newyawker has been to a few shows in his day intimate, huge and every venue size in between and therefore could make a reasonable guess as to whether the price is worth it, etc etc, Sure being there and 1st hand experience is definitely the best way to make an assessment but I would trust his best guess.

I think ticket price is irrelevant ... I can't decide what a concert should cost anymore, they all seem pretty expensive to me generally speaking but it's whether I want to spend the money or not simple as that. You don't even want to know how much $$ I have spent on VIP stuff the last couple of years Was it worth it? In most cases hell yes. Others may not and probably would not agree but that's not for me to worry about.

Thank you DM. As I look to the root of the other sides argument here, I must also reevaluate my thoughts. There is a part of me that says there is absolutely no way a Furthur show could cost $150.00 when a GD show ranged from 10-35 bucks for the years i saw them. I am sure this affects my premise. The GD were always on the lower end of ticket prices compared to others. So when i see $150.00 to see Furthur whatever the reasoning is, I shutter and ask how can this be. It goes against thoughts regarding the bands roots and fabric of what they were founded upon.
Carl
Junior Boarder

#232161 1 year, 7 months ago
this thread is dead man. all you people bitching about the prices need to wake up. its 2013 and first class entertainment costs top dollar... anyone who has been to one of these intimate shows will tell you its worth it. if you dont like the prices, dont fucking go. but dont be blind to the fact that nothing is cheap. I make a whopping $1800 a month and I make it to terrapin whenever i can. and as Lewis pointed out, Phil plays for free, 25, 35, and 65 bucks all the damn time. I see a cheap shows featuring Phil and others posted online just about every week at Terrapin. its all about priorities. if you cant drop $150 for 4 hours of intimate live music then swallow it and be positive. If you cant swallow it and be positive then shut the fuck up and find a cheaper activity to enjoy
Carl
Junior Boarder

#232162 1 year, 7 months ago
cats were crashing gates and figuratively calling for the bands blood when tics were $20 in the 70's. its an endless cycle and those who cant prioritize their money and spend it on the things they claim they really care about (like going to see an amazing band play) will always complain its too much money for them. point is, there has been and always will be a segment of the scene that resents the band for making a living and resents those who fans who prioritize thier money well enough to attend. I dont make shit for money. but seeing this band is important enough to me to make concessions in other area so I can pay when they play.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder

#232174 1 year, 7 months ago
Carl:

Your above 2 posts reflect a misunderstanding of the thread at hand. It may in fact refute Burts thought that experience must precede valid opinion. I do not know you, never experienced you in person, yet I am not reluctant to conclude you are a noodle. The cacophony posts you just uttered smack of rash unfounded slams against my position. Let me turn your opinion against you, if you have nothing constructive to say, then don't offer your 2 cents please. Turn the station if you do not like the show.

ps; Tickets were not $20 in the 70's. The were in the single digits. Do some research before you speak.
kfender
Gold Boarder

#232179 1 year, 7 months ago
It's just like people who will pay more cash for high quality nugs vs. those who won't and settle for seedy schwag lol
Time to create page: 0.51 seconds