• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder
Posts:2212

Re: Lottery

#230276 1 year, 6 months ago
Darxtar wrote:
They are the same people that I encounter at every show I go to. I first ran into them in Orlando a couple of years ago. I thought they were pretty cool at that time. They were very aggressive at the Vegas shows last year when we actually got in the line before they did. I brought my autistic son and wife and they almost caused a fight with how they shoved their way to the front of the line. They attend pretty much every Furthur show and are on the rail center right for most of them. They typically use a couple of goons to have their way. I fully expected them to be at the front of the Sweetwater shows but was still disappointed when I saw them there because there was a supposed lottery system. I have witnessed how they do it and just feel it is time to call them out. It is just not right. I just wish that something could be done short of making all the shows reserved seating.


I found in the past that where there's a will, there's usually a way. I have no inside connections but have never been shutout. I don't always get fantastic seats, etc but I usually make out ok. If you go to enough shows, you also start to learn tricks to getting tickets (like the pre-sales and pre pre-sales these days help a lot if you get the codes)

That being said, I agree with many of your comments. I met the Lady with a fan and husband on the East Coast a couple of times. They seemed nice enough when conversing with them, but I also got the we know people, we're special vibe from them. They always seemed to have good tickets, way to often to be doing it on their own (the disclaimer is that I don't really know them so I am just reflecting what I perceived from talking to them). I suspect a large number of the people who got into the Sweetwater (and TXR shows) got in via some connection with the band or friends of the band. In fact, when I see people complaining about the ticket costs for these venues, I don't think they are realistic when they multiply the number of potential tickets times the cost as I suspect a chunk of tickets are complimentary. I would guess that the number of tickets available via the lottery was modest. I think this is just the way life works. People with connections, people with money, etc often make out. And to be fair, I could see giving people who support the shows at TXR and Sweetwater in general or are local a little help in getting into these shows.

The 'push their way in at the last second' and aggressive crowd bothers me more than the other stuff. I go to shows alone usually because most of my friends gave up after Jerry died. I routinely have negative experiences at GA shows with aggressive people who come in at the last second, stand in front of me, crowd me out, etc.


In the case of the Sweetwater shows, however, I have a hard time complaining. The streams were awesome as were the shows!
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by rippleish20.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
OZA
Senior Boarder
Posts:349

Re: Lottery

#230278 1 year, 6 months ago
In a matter of 4 nights, the Lady with a fan (AKA the lady with no name) has become a mystical figure to all of us on the board.
Get something together, conspiracy theorists.
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1826

Re: Lottery

#230279 1 year, 6 months ago
OZA wrote:
In a matter of 4 nights, the Lady with a fan (AKA the lady with no name) has become a mystical figure to all of us on the board.
Get something together, conspiracy theorists.


That may be the case for you
But do not speak on my behalf on that

That being said

¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡What a great shows we all shared these past four nights!!!!!!!!!!

My focus truly is with the love we share and the music that we share
Share in Love
The following user(s) said Thank You: Iriecycle
Iriecycle
Expert Boarder
Posts:698
AND LEAVE IT ON!!!!

Re: Lottery

#230281 1 year, 6 months ago
rippleish20 wrote:
Darxtar wrote:
They are the same people that I encounter at every show I go to. I first ran into them in Orlando a couple of years ago. I thought they were pretty cool at that time. They were very aggressive at the Vegas shows last year when we actually got in the line before they did. I brought my autistic son and wife and they almost caused a fight with how they shoved their way to the front of the line. They attend pretty much every Furthur show and are on the rail center right for most of them. They typically use a couple of goons to have their way. I fully expected them to be at the front of the Sweetwater shows but was still disappointed when I saw them there because there was a supposed lottery system. I have witnessed how they do it and just feel it is time to call them out. It is just not right. I just wish that something could be done short of making all the shows reserved seating.


I found in the past that where there's a will, there's usually a way. I have no inside connections but have never been shutout. I don't always get fantastic seats, etc but I usually make out ok. If you go to enough shows, you also start to learn tricks to getting tickets (like the pre-sales and pre pre-sales these days help a lot if you get the codes)

That being said, I agree with many of your comments. I met the Lady with a fan and husband on the East Coast a couple of times. They seemed nice enough when conversing with them, but I also got the we know people, we're special vibe from them. They always seemed to have good tickets, way to often to be doing it on their own (the disclaimer is that I don't really know them so I am just reflecting what I perceived from talking to them). I suspect a large number of the people who got into the Sweetwater (and TXR shows) got in via some connection with the band or friends of the band. In fact, when I see people complaining about the ticket costs for these venues, I don't think they are realistic when they multiply the number of potential tickets times the cost as I suspect a chunk of tickets are complimentary. I would guess that the number of tickets available via the lottery was modest. I think this is just the way life works. People with connections, people with money, etc often make out. And to be fair, I could see giving people who support the shows at TXR and Sweetwater in general or are local a little help in getting into these shows.

The 'push their way in at the last second' and aggressive crowd bothers me more than the other stuff. I go to shows alone usually because most of my friends gave up after Jerry died. I routinely have negative experiences at GA shows with aggressive people who come in at the last second, stand in front of me, crowd me out, etc.


In the case of the Sweetwater shows, however, I have a hard time complaining. The streams were awesome as were the shows!

I've been thinking your tag was Nippleish 20. Ah the memories it brought me. Sorry. You're right, especially regarding those who will come in late and stand in front of another w/o regard . . . Give me a shout, me and mine will gladly come crowd out the crowders. Although fighting fire w/ fire makes for a bigger fire, sometimes that's just what's called for. I wish I could say the stream was awesome last night, finally towards the middle of the second set we got some less interrupted songs. I can say it, THE STREAM WAS AWESOME.
I Am You, As You Are Me, As We Are One, and We Are All Together.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1533

Re: Lottery

#230282 1 year, 6 months ago
RowTimmy wrote:
It is my understanding that tickets to the sweetwater shows were GIVEN to many investors and insiders way prior to any announcement was made. These insiders each had a list of VIP guests that came every night. I was told that there were about 50 tix each night for the lottery. It was more of a Sweetwater hosted party then an open market concert. I think it should have been billed as such.


Assuming your source was correct, and I have no reason to doubt. If that's the case then approx. 80% of the patrons
got comps or priority opportunity to purchase, and 20% available to the general public. In that regard it was a long shot, but some of us regular folks did get in to these shows. With a capacity of 300 it was a long shot for anyone, and I think that was understood to be the case.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
Posts:2057
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Re: Lottery

#230283 1 year, 6 months ago
Within the broad family of heads there has always been certain cliques. Tapers, Spinners, 'entitlementers' (made that word up), greenpeas, hells angels, etc etc etc. There is nothing new under the sun here. That being said, we must not think for one second that there is no inner circle of friends of the band. They will always get preferential treatment. The paradox that still remains to this day, is the righteous attitude some carry around. It is disturbing!The band was founded upon the principle of community/family. For anyone to self appoint themselves as the king of heads is deplorable. And they should be called out. I know some older heads who also find it appalling to be charged 150-200 bucks for a ticket to go listen to the band. I will have to find an article I read about TXR/TRI/SW in regards to this exact conversation. The person spoke very well on this subject. In fact, there is a swell of discontent among some heads that are predicting that these 2 venues promote and will give birth to entitled, king heads because of the size and price of tickets. Burt and Tim could probably speak better on this since they are out there, but I do have to agree with the premise of the persons article. Shit, I used to spend 150 bucks on a tour package to see a dozen or so shows!!!!!

As an aside, why is the person called "The lady with a fan?" Sounds like a Seinfeld character.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by newyawker.
bluetrainsugaree
Expert Boarder
Posts:639

Re: Lottery

#230285 1 year, 6 months ago
Oh, I guess you didn't see her jumping up and down frantically fanning herself with a handheld fan in the front row, singing loudly to terrapin station the other night. Well maybe you can picture it.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
Posts:2057
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Re: Lottery

#230286 1 year, 6 months ago
bluetrainsugaree wrote:
Oh, I guess you didn't see her jumping up and down frantically fanning herself with a handheld fan in the front row, singing loudly to terrapin station the other night. Well maybe you can picture it.


That I did not see. Does not sound too inviting to witness either!!!!
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
captaintony
Platinum Boarder
Posts:3691

Re: Lottery

#230287 1 year, 6 months ago
wLewis - i think it has something to do with the west coast entitlement complex.


ATG - I never got a west coast entitlement vibe, and I've seen more shows in the bay area than any other metropolitan area.

--------------------



Well ATG, you really have to consider who made that comment.
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by captaintony.
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1826

Re: Lottery

#230288 1 year, 6 months ago
Entitlementers
nycdave
Platinum Boarder
Posts:5318

Re: Lottery

#230289 1 year, 6 months ago
I would also not consider anyone who spends time on the rail in any way having any sort of "mystical" status. Whether they get there by hook or by crook, so what?
It is nice to be close enough to see the strings on the guitar not to mention the interaction between the musicians. I have spent some time on the rail. At GA shows most of the time there is a big push in the beginning then after about a song or two people relax and some dancing room opens up. The center area is more jammed in than the sides.
Every concert and and people's concert experiences are different. The best experiences (for me) are when people are respectful of their fellow concert audience participants. My hope is to find a 'cool' comfortable place. We all have different notions of where that spot is. I have also seen shows in the back of a venue, off to the side and when possible behind the stage. These experiences have all been good! Get me into the venue and I am a happy camper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , Iriecycle
OZA
Senior Boarder
Posts:349

Re: Lottery

#230290 1 year, 6 months ago
Lol, I only meant mysterious; because there's so much talk of this person here - yet she's only known as the Lady with a fan. I didn't mean an actual mystic figure
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by OZA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nycdave
Time to create page: 0.62 seconds