• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Lynx
Visitor

Mind Uploading Won't Work

#22996 3 years, 3 months ago
So I've been trying to find a way around my own mortality. I figured that, since computer science is advancing so fast, perhaps after I died my consciousness could be uploaded to a computer... thus achieving a sort of "virtual immortality".

But then I thought: Well, let's say the technology were invented tomorrow. Couldn't I just upload my consciousness now, and maybe keep doing it every few months (sort of like you would back up your computer to an external hard drive)? I suppose I could but then I realized that "I" would be looking at my little "brain-external-drive"... I would not be it. So even if I could upload my consciousness to a computer I would still have my own, separate consciousness. It would not make me live forever, it would simply make another consciousness identical to my own and someday I would still die.

Am I missing something? Besides my sanity I mean.

Any other thoughts on cheating death?
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

Re: Mind Uploading Won't Work

#22997 3 years, 3 months ago
Thats a very complicated thought. All I'm working on is trying to figure out how to stream from the archive on here.....
Lynx
Visitor

#22998 3 years, 3 months ago
Stream music or die trying! No wait...
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#23002 3 years, 3 months ago
neverstop66 wrote:
Thats a very complicated thought. All I'm working on is trying to figure out how to stream from the archive on here.....
just open two windows, stream from one , board on the other
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
nastero
Junior Boarder

#23018 3 years, 3 months ago
You'd need a rather big RAID setup and several TerraBytes (minimum, I'd imagine, though perhaps less depending upon how much and often you've smoked the ganja), plus a reasonable AI so that you could continue learning and growing once you've shuffled off your mortal coil.

"Fringe" touched on this concept recently and it was the basis for "Caprica," which was sort of a prequel to "Battlestar Galactica". Either way, I'll take my chances with my soul and the energy therein persisting long after I've departed my skin.
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#23022 3 years, 3 months ago
the highway terror wrote:
neverstop66 wrote:
just open two windows, stream from one , board on the other

I want to run a stream on the board, not sure its possible....instead of just posting a link.
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by neverstop66.
Lynx
Visitor

#23025 3 years, 3 months ago
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by .
Time to create page: 6.49 seconds