• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
otherone78
Junior Boarder
first Furthur show: 2/19/10

Furthur originals

#229766 1 year, 2 months ago
Love the original tunes, it's one of the major factors that sets them apart from all the rest of the post GD bands. Lets have more Seven hills of gold and colors of the rain please! Thanks.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

Re: Furthur originals

#229769 1 year, 2 months ago
I was just thinking how they didn't play any yet in these 3 shows... and latley Big Bad Blues and Mountain Song have been the only ones in a semi constant rotation... maybe Colors of the Rain to but not as much
Wheelman
Gold Boarder

#229778 1 year, 2 months ago
I lov Seven Hills..
(“I don’t suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.” )
The following user(s) said Thank You: karenrose
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#229943 1 year, 2 months ago
Colors of the Rain has always been neglected. It's unfortunate. My favorite of all the new songs from all involved.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?

It's dead and over when close enough is good enough.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#230174 1 year, 2 months ago
they don't play them as much as they were in general i think..with the exception of big bad blues and mountain song..i was there for a lot of the first versions and subsequent ones as well. many of the songs were not well received, some still aren't. seen/total played

big bad blues---sees fairly regular rotation. ok song, kind of losing it's appeal to me. i like the vocal jam in it more than anything. 12/17...last played 2012-12-29

colors of the rain---excellent jam vehicle. love the lyrics and the feel of the song. a great hunter/lesh collaboration. 12/19...last played 2012-09-25

high on a mountain--based off of an old traditional song, this has some new lyrics written by brian and phil lesh. they don't play this one often. 8/9...last played 2011-11-11

muli guli--this one is straightforward, a lot of people hate on it. average tune in my opinion, has some potential if played. 3/5...last played 2010-09-21

seven hills of gold--i really dig this tune. excellent slide work by john. nice hunter lyrics. 6/8....last played 2011-04-06

the mountain song--clearly the most commonly played of the newer tunes. this one from the perro sessions but obviously reworked. i really love this song. phils voice on the lyrics, the simplicity of the tune but complexity of the feel. 21/30...last played 2012-12-29

welcome to the dance--- very interesting hunter/lesh song. very progressive, lots of changes. for as strange as it is, i'd like to see this one tackled way more. 2/10.....last played 2011-11-12

really i understand why some people don't want to hear these songs but i do. after seeing them play some of the GD tunes to the death, it is refreshing to hear something new and creative. i am very surprised they didn't play any of these songs at sweetwater. it's been years since some of these songs have been played.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell
ablebaker
Senior Boarder

#230178 1 year, 2 months ago
When Phil alone starts Colors (2 measures, I think) it's the best
Everytime that wheel turn round
bound to cover just a little more ground
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#230183 1 year, 2 months ago
I like the Mountain Song, but Big Bad Blues is meh.
Seldom turns out the way it does in a song
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder

#230250 1 year, 2 months ago
I like Big Bad Blues for a couple minutes, and then it wears on me. It goes from accessible and familiar to too much of a good thing. It's poppy, and there is a reason pop songs work well under that 4-minute mark (other than to fit on a 45RPM and radio structure).
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?

ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder

#230257 1 year, 2 months ago
wlewis wrote:
welcome to the dance--- very interesting hunter/lesh song. very progressive, lots of changes. for as strange as it is, i'd like to see this one tackled way more. 2/10.....last played 2011-11-12
Agreed. Phil does some wonderful things within this song.

Iriecycle
Expert Boarder
AND LEAVE IT ON!!!!

#230260 1 year, 2 months ago
I keep hearing Elanor Rigby jams but haven't heard the whole tune played, not that it's an original, but I like it. Mountain Song my favorite, although it is not totally original, "they" completed it. I'm not too jazzed on the other new tunes. I'll have to give "Welcome to the Dance" and "Colors of the Rain" a listen. Sure liked Two Souls in Communion.
I Am You, As You Are Me, As We Are One, and We Are All Together.
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by Iriecycle. Reason: Jam > Song
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds