• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: Jack Straw Openers

#230505 1 year, 8 months ago
I'd like one like this next month too, please!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
Brother Dust
Gold Boarder

#230509 1 year, 8 months ago
What a great song to open with.
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#230519 1 year, 8 months ago
Agree that Jack is a good predictor of a hot show. Here is one from 1982, with a super hot Jack that leads in to, IMHO, one of the best Sugarees. I missed this run but caught the 83 and 84 Greek runs.

The venue was amazing. Best bass response of any place I saw GD play. Phil controlled the sound and could takeover the sound system and venue at will.

Greek Theatre - Berekley, CA 5/22/82

archive.org/details/gd1982-05-22.mtx.sea....101450.sbeok.flac16

Set 1

Jack Straw-> Sugaree, Cassidy, Tennessee Jed-> Minglewood Blues, Cumberland Blues, Lazy Lightning-> Supplication-> Deal

Set 2

China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider-> Women Are Smarter, Good Time Blues, Lost Sailor-> Saint Of Circumstance-> He's Gone-> Drums-> Not Fade Away-> Wharf Rat-> Around & Around-> Good Lovin', E: U.S. Blues
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#230527 1 year, 8 months ago
OK - breaking the rules here as far as opener..... but this Jack Straw is widely considered one of easily the top 3 ever..many say numero uno--- but its the next to last song of the first set... about a week after the previous Philly one I posted....here you can not only hear but see it......

04/06/87 (Mon) Brendan Byrne Arena - East Rutherford, NJ

Set 1: Dancing In The Streets, Franklin's Tower, Little Red Rooster, Peggy-O, Me & My Uncle > Mexicali Blues, When Push Comes To Shove, Jack Straw > Deal

Set 2: Feel Like A Stranger, Cumberland Blues, Tons Of Steel, Saint Of Circumstance, Drums > Space > Terrapin Station > The Other One > Stella Blue > Sugar Magnolia, E: Black Muddy River

Great show....to "stretch the theme of the thread" I would also say any show with Jack Straw is usually a keeper.
Check out 10-20-84 and 12-31-84 for other all time great Jack Straws ( not in the opening slot)
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by Still Takin it Weirder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, lightchaser
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#230529 1 year, 8 months ago
Meant to say add the 6-6-91 Deer Creek above is also an all timer --good choice splatter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, patchmyfurthur
IvoryWheels
Junior Boarder

#230540 1 year, 8 months ago
My first show; 15th anniv. Folsom Field, Boulder, Colorado June 7th, 1980. Smokin'? ...Yyyyeeesss...

Also, I seem to remember from show tapes from back in 'the (my) day' an early 70's one from Felt Forum @ MSG, NYC. Don't know if it was a show opener or set opener. In the prelude, Phil (I think) says: "Somebody been smokin' coconuts out there?" That might be the 'hottest' Jackstraw I know about, besides if course the first song from my first show.

Got to see Furthur in Vegas this past October after a long hiatus from shows, and it was a treat and refreshing to the spirit.
They played Jackstraw and 'Playin'' in the same show, so I was stoked. Oh yeah, and I got to see Phil&Friends @ Telluride a coupla weeks before. All really nice!

Rock on, bruthas & sistahs!

Set List:
Jack Straw
Friend of the Devil
El Paso
Mama Tried
Ramble on Rose
Passenger
Far From Me
New Minglewood Blues
Loser
Feel Like a Stranger
Deal

Bertha
Greatest Story Ever Told
Althea
Lost Sailor
Saint of Circumstance
drums
Not Fade Away
Wharf Rat
Good Lovin'

Alabama Getaway
One More Saturday Night
U.S. Blues

(Incidentally, this is my first board as a new user!)
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#230562 1 year, 8 months ago
Welcome to the Forum, IvoryWheels! I bet there were some other folks around here dancing at Folsom Field with you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, IvoryWheels
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#230565 1 year, 8 months ago
Just read the review of 4/6/87 in an old deadbase. It described the Jack Straw jam as a thermonuclear explosion. I just watched it.... goddamn well I declare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jerry on fire, Bob in rock star mode..Phil Bombing.. drummers bashing away..its all there. Do yourself a favor and watch it if you haven't...your welcome in advance. It starts around the 49:00 minute mark..and if you have the capability turn it WAY UP!
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#230571 1 year, 8 months ago
Since we are bringing up Jack Straws that did not open up shows but are all there, one of my all time favorites is from set one of 1/22/78 - McArthur Court, U. of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon.
This is the same show that in the second set the band played the Close Encounters jam. The whole second set of this show goes above and beyond, but it is the version of Jack Straw in set one that I can't even come up with the proper adjective to describe. It is that good.

Set 1: Minglewood - Dire Wolf - Cassidy - Peggy-O - El Paso - Tennassee Jed - Jack Straw - Row Jimi - Music Never Stopped

Set 2: Bertha > Good Lovin - Ship of Fools - Samson & Delilah - Terrapin > Rhythm Devils > The Other One > Close Encounters > Saint Stephen > NFA > Around & Around

Encore: US Blues
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#230646 1 year, 8 months ago
nycdave wrote:
Since we are bringing up Jack Straws that did not open up shows but are all there, one of my all time favorites is from set one of 1/22/78 - McArthur Court, U. of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon.
This is the same show that in the second set the band played the Close Encounters jam. The whole second set of this show goes above and beyond, but it is the version of Jack Straw in set one that I can't even come up with the proper adjective to describe. It is that good.

Set 1: Minglewood - Dire Wolf - Cassidy - Peggy-O - El Paso - Tennassee Jed - Jack Straw - Row Jimi - Music Never Stopped

Set 2: Bertha > Good Lovin - Ship of Fools - Samson & Delilah - Terrapin > Rhythm Devils > The Other One > Close Encounters > Saint Stephen > NFA > Around & Around

Encore: US Blues

Just listened to this today.

Hey now there are no rules And I really have enjoyed reading through these responses and checking out the shows that have been recommended ... keep them coming!!! Thanks all!!!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: nycdave
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#230664 1 year, 8 months ago
Two more versions of Jack Straw come to mind, both from 1973. On 7/31/73 (Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, NJ) Jack Straw shows up four songs into the second set. Jerry starts with 'Got to go to Tulsa' then to make up for it, sings 'I just jumped the watchman' later in the song. This throws Bob of a little, but he recovers quickly. This version is heartfelt, with some extra jamming, perhaps because it was played in the second set. Another version of this song that rules, is from Boston Music Hall on 12/2/73. The band was clicking on all cylinders in December of 1973. The energy and musicianship on this Jack Straw is so strong.
One other note. The song was first played on 10/19/71 in Minneapolis, Mn. As Island Head already mentioned (at the beginning of this thread), this was Brent's first show. In the beginning, all of the lead vocals ( including the 'I just jumped the watchman' and 'Got to go to Tulsa' part) were originally sung by Bob. That changed and Jerry started singing those two parts, sometime during the Europe 1972 tour. Since this song has (in part) a conversation between two people, this made sense.
Time to create page: 0.85 seconds