• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
aiko420
Junior Boarder

Question on one of Phil's basses...

#227700 1 year, 6 months ago
So, I was going through some CDs to find something to listen to at work today. I decided to go with Reckoning. Inside the CD Jacket there is a sepia tonish picture of the boys and Phil is playing what looks like an Irwin?Alembic base in the shape of Garcia's Tiger. Anyone know anything about this bass? I looked for it on Google, Dozin and various other places with no avail. Thanks in advance for any information.
Sometimes you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

Re: Question on one of Phil's basses...

#227711 1 year, 6 months ago
I would message wlewis he is very knowledgable when it comes to basses
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#227718 1 year, 6 months ago
Yeah just hang in there man Burt will be by shortly to answer you questions away. Got your 3d poster hanging on my wall thanks bro
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
The following user(s) said Thank You: alilfurther
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#227719 1 year, 6 months ago
Phil may (or may not) have played a different bass during the acoustic portions of the 1980 Radio City Music Hall and Warfield Theater shows. I am not sure. There is lots of good video from RCMH; the halloween show was officially released. I am just to lazy to check right now. If Phil did use the same bass for both the electric and acoustic sets, it would have had to have been turned way down. In November of 2007 at the Nokia NYC shows, Phil played a stand up bass during two seperate acoustic sets.
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#227722 1 year, 6 months ago
nycdave wrote:
Phil may (or may not) have played a different bass during the acoustic portions of the 1980 Radio City Music Hall and Warfield Theater shows. I am not sure. There is lots of good video from RCMH; the halloween show was officially released. I am just to lazy to check right now. If Phil did use the same bass for both the electric and acoustic sets, it would have had to have been turned way down. In November of 2007 at the Nokia NYC shows, Phil played a stand up bass during two seperate acoustic sets.

you don't which day in November 07 Phil played upright do you? I just looked up the Nokia run on LMA and it's all free Soundboards, so I think I'm gonna take em all, but I'd love to hear those specific sets
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#227740 1 year, 6 months ago
that is a doug irwin made bass.

he used it for approximately one year from 80 to 81.

there is really not a lot of information out there on it, not even in their gear books.

phil recalls only this in terms of dissatisfaction with the bass: "it didn't sound right, and the balance was too peghead-heavy"

you can see him playing it on the dead ahead dvd

after this he switches to a fender jazz bass for the first time since 1967

for those acoustic sets with phil on the upright bass,

check 2007-09-29

2007-10-07

2007-10-12

2007-11-02

2007-11-11

2007-11-27
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#227742 1 year, 6 months ago
HOWS THE LIGHT UP BASS COMING WLEWIS ???
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#227744 1 year, 6 months ago
Iamthedoor: you don't which day in November 07 Phil played upright do you?

I do.

November 2, 2007. Set 2: FOTD, Lorene, Cry Yourself Dry, Big Mon, Dead Flowers, Mama Tried.
November 11, 2007. Set 2: Attics of My Life, Till the Morning Comes, Jerusalem Ridge, Deep Elem, Ripple.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iamthedoor
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#227746 1 year, 6 months ago
alilfurther wrote:
HOWS THE LIGHT UP BASS COMING WLEWIS ???

modulus is now sending the bass to UK to SIMS, the company they contract to do their LED fret work. it's taking longer than expected but i don't mind. once that comes back they can finish construction.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#227754 1 year, 6 months ago
Burt makes note of four other shows where Phil plays standup bass. Here are a few more details:

9/29/07 - Red Rocks - Set 2: FOTD - Sweet Somewhere Bound - Deep Elem Blues - Brokedown Palace - Tell Me Mama - Ripple
10/7/07 - Riviera Theater, Chicago, Il - Set 2: Ripple - Cry Yourself Dry - FOTD > Big Mon - Brokedown Palace
10/12/07 - Tweeter Waterfront, Camden, NJ - Set 2: Lost Highway, Tell Me Mama, Deep Elem, FOTD, Big Mon
11/27/07 - Warfield Theater, San Francisco (Jackie Greene's birthday) - Set 2: Peggy O - Deep Elem - FOTD > Big Mon - Ripple

For us Philofiles who just need to know!

Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by nycdave. Reason: Cover up of poor spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: iamthedoor
Time to create page: 0.54 seconds