• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

Which "High Time" is it?

#227656 1 year, 6 months ago
There is a version of "High Time" where Jerry REALLY belts out the line "come on in when it's rainin"...he goes all high and stuff...hahahah high...but his voice does get into upper octaves and he belts it.

Which one is it? I wanna say an early 70's one, but not sure.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: Which "High Time" is it?

#227705 1 year, 6 months ago
there is not one version where this happens. but it defintely is more commonplace when the song was new

judging strictly from recordings, you can tell garcia had way more vocal range in the 70's than the 80s. by 85, his voice was so hoarse. and i don't think it ever sounded the same after then. it seemed to deteriorate more, and centralize itself into a significantly smaller range. again, wasn't there, just do a lot of listening.

archive.org/details/gd1970-05-01.sbd.gan...r.85322.sbeok.flac16
^^
i believe this version contains what you're talking about.

archive.org/details/gd85-06-27.sbd.miller.27863.sbeok.flacf
this one it sounds like he tries to go for it, but realizes it ain't happenin, but then gives a nice growl on the next line "go on out when it's gone"

archive.org/details/gd87-09-16.sbd.hinko.22797.sbeok.shnf
he goes a little high here

interestingly, high time was shelved between 70-76, and would see other lengths such as a year of time off
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
dead_in_ky
Junior Boarder

#227707 1 year, 6 months ago
probably not the one you are looking for, but it's my favorite.
Right now, I can't read too well...
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#227896 1 year, 6 months ago
wlewis wrote:
there is not one version where this happens. but it defintely is more commonplace when the song was new

judging strictly from recordings, you can tell garcia had way more vocal range in the 70's than the 80s. by 85, his voice was so hoarse. and i don't think it ever sounded the same after then. it seemed to deteriorate more, and centralize itself into a significantly smaller range. again, wasn't there, just do a lot of listening.

archive.org/details/gd1970-05-01.sbd.gan...r.85322.sbeok.flac16
^^
i believe this version contains what you're talking about.

That one is A LOT like it, but not the exact one...Hmmmm the search continues. Thanks very much

Maybe it was 11/8/69.
Time to create page: 5.65 seconds