• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1635

Re: Dear Colorado-ians

#227699 1 year, 7 months ago
SugarMee wrote:
Hehe, I know there was some talk about a possible ski day on Thursday and Friday during the run of shows. I am arriving in Denver noonish on that Friday, so me and my crew can't make that unfortunately. I gotta go skiing however, and I know it's crazy busy on Saturdays, but that's my only option. Where would you guys suggest for a Saturday ski day? I'll have a ride and could bring 3 more people along also if anyone is interested.


FYI. Our demonym is Coloradans. That is all.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Posts:31394
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: Dear Colorado-ians

#227720 1 year, 7 months ago
strangerinboulder wrote:
SugarMee wrote:
Hehe, I know there was some talk about a possible ski day on Thursday and Friday during the run of shows. I am arriving in Denver noonish on that Friday, so me and my crew can't make that unfortunately. I gotta go skiing however, and I know it's crazy busy on Saturdays, but that's my only option. Where would you guys suggest for a Saturday ski day? I'll have a ride and could bring 3 more people along also if anyone is interested.


FYI. Our demonym is Coloradans. That is all.

I thought technically the full term was "spoiled rotten Coloradans"?
The following user(s) said Thank You: strangerinboulder, Barefoot Mountain Mama
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1635

Re: Dear Colorado-ians

#227727 1 year, 7 months ago
SunshineSue wrote:
strangerinboulder wrote:
SugarMee wrote:
Hehe, I know there was some talk about a possible ski day on Thursday and Friday during the run of shows. I am arriving in Denver noonish on that Friday, so me and my crew can't make that unfortunately. I gotta go skiing however, and I know it's crazy busy on Saturdays, but that's my only option. Where would you guys suggest for a Saturday ski day? I'll have a ride and could bring 3 more people along also if anyone is interested.


FYI. Our demonym is Coloradans. That is all.

I thought technically the full term was "spoiled rotten Coloradans"?


The judges will also accept that answer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue, Barefoot Mountain Mama
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder
Posts:315

Re: Dear Colorado-ians

#227757 1 year, 7 months ago
i'll be hitting the areas in summit county and maybe aspen the week after the shows if anyone wants to hook up for some turns
dead_in_ky
Junior Boarder
Posts:276

Re: Dear Colorado-ians

#227784 1 year, 7 months ago
I arrive in Denver at 7:30am on friday and I am looking for a fun way to spend the day. I won't be skiing and would like to avoid I70. Any suggestions? I was considering trying to get to estes park or south to garden of the gods.
Right now, I can't read too well...
Griff
Expert Boarder
Posts:829
Don't you see........

Re: Dear Colorado-ians

#227794 1 year, 7 months ago
perry wrote:
So far the season has been poor, most areas in Summit have 25 inch base with 50-75 inches this season. It better be better by Furthur time! All areas have discounted tix at the front range groceries etc... Loveland's website lists a bunch of places to get them. Most 4 packs can only be used by one person Loveland gives 4 tickets that can all be used at once, find tons on Craig's for @35 each. Eldora is the closest and least traffic to Broomfield....if the snow is killer and there is powder, the ride down 70 can take a long time, but if you leave the slopes by 4 you will make the show, if your lucky you can hit your hotel first


Thanks for the info bro. It sure does sound like it has been a dry wnter. I was just in Denver Mon-Tue and it was plenty cold.

You asked about Copper, its my personal favorite when skiing out of Denver and looking to get back for shows. I plan on being there Thurs/Fri. Just like 10 more miles down the road past A-basin/Breck/Keystone. Good grooming as anywhere (assuming theres no pow) and nice variety with some some steeper goomers (sic). Less "family" oriented then Breck/Keystone so you can ski faster (lol), but not as steep as the "potential" steeps of A-basin, which need snow to open. Below is straight from their website:

Trails
22% of Terrain Open
30 Trails Open
196/960 Acres Open
6/8 Lifts Open
East Wall is Closed
Montezuma Bowl is Closed

And the link below is for a cool site I use for snow conditions across the country. More true skier focused then some marketing website and has links to all the ski areas websites in the Western US:

www.skitiger.com/colorado/

So if anything changes and you can ski Thurs/Fri let me know. If there is pow on Sat then I will head up that day too, otherwise plan on avoiding the big crowds. And FWIW, I am a Level III Certified Ski Instructor so kind of like to ski fast. In fact, I can already feel the need for speed...........lol.
perry
Senior Boarder
Posts:385

Re: Dear Colorado-ians

#227796 1 year, 7 months ago
Griff wrote:
perry wrote:
So far the season has been poor, most areas in Summit have 25 inch base with 50-75 inches this season. It better be better by Furthur time! All areas have discounted tix at the front range groceries etc... Loveland's website lists a bunch of places to get them. Most 4 packs can only be used by one person Loveland gives 4 tickets that can all be used at once, find tons on Craig's for @35 each. Eldora is the closest and least traffic to Broomfield....if the snow is killer and there is powder, the ride down 70 can take a long time, but if you leave the slopes by 4 you will make the show, if your lucky you can hit your hotel first


Thanks for the info bro. It sure does sound like it has been a dry wnter. I was just in Denver Mon-Tue and it was plenty cold.

You asked about Copper, its my personal favorite when skiing out of Denver and looking to get back for shows. I plan on being there Thurs/Fri. Just like 10 more miles down the road past A-basin/Breck/Keystone. Good grooming as anywhere (assuming theres no pow) and nice variety with some some steeper goomers (sic). Less "family" oriented then Breck/Keystone so you can ski faster (lol), but not as steep as the "potential" steeps of A-basin, which need snow to open. Below is straight from their website:

Trails
22% of Terrain Open
30 Trails Open
196/960 Acres Open
6/8 Lifts Open
East Wall is Closed
Montezuma Bowl is Closed

And the link below is for a cool site I use for snow conditions across the country. More true skier focused then some marketing website and has links to all the ski areas websites in the Western US:

www.skitiger.com/colorado/

So if anything changes and you can ski Thurs/Fri let me know. If there is pow on Sat then I will head up that day too, otherwise plan on avoiding the big crowds. And FWIW, I am a Level III Certified Ski Instructor so kind of like to ski fast. In fact, I can already feel the need for speed...........lol.


Copper is my fave
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1533

Re: Dear Colorado-ians

#227884 1 year, 7 months ago
Griff wrote:
perry wrote:
So far the season has been poor, most areas in Summit have 25 inch base with 50-75 inches this season. It better be better by Furthur time! All areas have discounted tix at the front range groceries etc... Loveland's website lists a bunch of places to get them. Most 4 packs can only be used by one person Loveland gives 4 tickets that can all be used at once, find tons on Craig's for @35 each. Eldora is the closest and least traffic to Broomfield....if the snow is killer and there is powder, the ride down 70 can take a long time, but if you leave the slopes by 4 you will make the show, if your lucky you can hit your hotel first


Thanks for the info bro. It sure does sound like it has been a dry wnter. I was just in Denver Mon-Tue and it was plenty cold.

You asked about Copper, its my personal favorite when skiing out of Denver and looking to get back for shows. I plan on being there Thurs/Fri. Just like 10 more miles down the road past A-basin/Breck/Keystone. Good grooming as anywhere (assuming theres no pow) and nice variety with some some steeper goomers (sic). Less "family" oriented then Breck/Keystone so you can ski faster (lol), but not as steep as the "potential" steeps of A-basin, which need snow to open. Below is straight from their website:

Trails
22% of Terrain Open
30 Trails Open
196/960 Acres Open
6/8 Lifts Open
East Wall is Closed
Montezuma Bowl is Closed

And the link below is for a cool site I use for snow conditions across the country. More true skier focused then some marketing website and has links to all the ski areas websites in the Western US:

www.skitiger.com/colorado/

So if anything changes and you can ski Thurs/Fri let me know. If there is pow on Sat then I will head up that day too, otherwise plan on avoiding the big crowds. And FWIW, I am a Level III Certified Ski Instructor so kind of like to ski fast. In fact, I can already feel the need for speed...........lol.


You're right, no snow on the runs and they're just "potential". As far as steeps, A Basin has them in abundance. There's a reason it's called "The Legend"
perry
Senior Boarder
Posts:385

Re: Dear Colorado-ians

#227995 1 year, 7 months ago
dead_in_ky wrote:
I arrive in Denver at 7:30am on friday and I am looking for a fun way to spend the day. I won't be skiing and would like to avoid I70. Any suggestions? I was considering trying to get to estes park or south to garden of the gods.


Same thread on the philzone, try Brainard Lake above Boulder for snowshoeing, or maybe just hiking depending on the conditions, finish with a peak to peak drive, or screw it, spend the day in Estes and RMNP, leave just enough time to get back to the show.
dead_in_ky
Junior Boarder
Posts:276

Re: Dear Colorado-ians

#228411 1 year, 7 months ago
What would be a good peak to peak drive Perry? It would be cool to get as close as possible to one of the big mtns. I know that makes me seem like the total tourist, but I don't get out to Colorado everyday.
Right now, I can't read too well...
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by dead_in_ky.
perry
Senior Boarder
Posts:385

Re: Dear Colorado-ians

#228418 1 year, 7 months ago
dead_in_ky wrote:
What would be a good peak to peak drive Perry? It would be cool to get as close as possible to one of the big mtns. I know that makes me seem like the total tourist, but I don't get out to Colorado everyday.


The Peak to Peak runs N/DS from Black Hawk to Estes Park. You could jump in at Boulder, drive up to Nederland and head north towards Estes, do a full loop by continuing to Lyons and back to boulder, or just catch some views, hike/snowshoe, stop for lunch.

Map : www.coloradodirectory.com/maps/peak.html

Peak to Peak Scenic and Historic Byway

State: Colorado
National Forest: Arapaho-Roosevelt National Forest
Length: 55.0 mi / 88.5 km
Time to Allow: 80 minutes to drive the byway

Welcome to the showcase of the Front Range. Less than an hour from Denver, Boulder, or Fort Collins, this 55-mile-long route provides matchless views of the Continental Divide and its timbered approaches. The string of popular attractions along the way - Rocky Mountain National Park, Golden Gate Canyon State Park, Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests, the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area, Eldora Ski Resort - combine recreation with nature preservation. The gravel roads criss-crossing the main highway lead to high-country lakes, trailheads, campgrounds, the Moffat Tunnel's east portal, and ghost towns at Hesse and Apex. Established in 1918 this is Colorado's oldest scenic byway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dead_in_ky
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
Posts:7497
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

Re: Dear Colorado-ians

#228421 1 year, 7 months ago
Dude there's a million things to do here...
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Time to create page: 1.11 seconds