• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
perry
Senior Boarder

Re: Dear Colorado-ians

#227995 1 year, 6 months ago
dead_in_ky wrote:
I arrive in Denver at 7:30am on friday and I am looking for a fun way to spend the day. I won't be skiing and would like to avoid I70. Any suggestions? I was considering trying to get to estes park or south to garden of the gods.

Same thread on the philzone, try Brainard Lake above Boulder for snowshoeing, or maybe just hiking depending on the conditions, finish with a peak to peak drive, or screw it, spend the day in Estes and RMNP, leave just enough time to get back to the show.
dead_in_ky
Junior Boarder

#228411 1 year, 6 months ago
What would be a good peak to peak drive Perry? It would be cool to get as close as possible to one of the big mtns. I know that makes me seem like the total tourist, but I don't get out to Colorado everyday.
Right now, I can't read too well...
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by dead_in_ky.
perry
Senior Boarder

#228418 1 year, 6 months ago
dead_in_ky wrote:
What would be a good peak to peak drive Perry? It would be cool to get as close as possible to one of the big mtns. I know that makes me seem like the total tourist, but I don't get out to Colorado everyday.

The Peak to Peak runs N/DS from Black Hawk to Estes Park. You could jump in at Boulder, drive up to Nederland and head north towards Estes, do a full loop by continuing to Lyons and back to boulder, or just catch some views, hike/snowshoe, stop for lunch.

Map : www.coloradodirectory.com/maps/peak.html

Peak to Peak Scenic and Historic Byway

State: Colorado
National Forest: Arapaho-Roosevelt National Forest
Length: 55.0 mi / 88.5 km
Time to Allow: 80 minutes to drive the byway

Welcome to the showcase of the Front Range. Less than an hour from Denver, Boulder, or Fort Collins, this 55-mile-long route provides matchless views of the Continental Divide and its timbered approaches. The string of popular attractions along the way - Rocky Mountain National Park, Golden Gate Canyon State Park, Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests, the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area, Eldora Ski Resort - combine recreation with nature preservation. The gravel roads criss-crossing the main highway lead to high-country lakes, trailheads, campgrounds, the Moffat Tunnel's east portal, and ghost towns at Hesse and Apex. Established in 1918 this is Colorado's oldest scenic byway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dead_in_ky
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#228421 1 year, 6 months ago
Dude there's a million things to do here...
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
dead_in_ky
Junior Boarder

#228448 1 year, 6 months ago
Denver Man wrote:

I know, unfortunately time is liimited.
Right now, I can't read too well...
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#228502 1 year, 6 months ago
dead_in_ky wrote:

Perry's suggestion is a good one. If you'd like another suggestion, a place you could stand and be in awe of a view of the mountains here's another destination. A little over an hour from Denver. The map shows the approximate location circled in red.

continental_divide.jpg

map.jpg

On your way to, or coming back you might hit Tommyknocker's in Idaho Springs.

www.tommyknocker.com/PUB___RESTAURANT_RK6V.html
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#228505 1 year, 6 months ago
dead_in_ky wrote:
Denver Man wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't directing that at you.

It all depends on what you want to do/see as to what direction you want to head in..

ATG - you're quite the expert on CO..
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#228506 1 year, 6 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
dead_in_ky wrote:
Denver Man wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't directing that at you.

It all depends on what you want to do/see as to what direction you want to head in..

ATG - you're quite the expert on CO..

Well I don't know about that. I dabble....
Barefoot Mountain Mama
Junior Boarder
If all else fails.... dance

#228510 1 year, 6 months ago
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
dead_in_ky wrote:

Perry's suggestion is a good one. If you'd like another suggestion, a place you could stand and be in awe of a view of the mountains here's another destination. A little over an hour from Denver. The map shows the approximate location circled in red.

continental_divide.jpg

map.jpg

On your way to, or coming back you might hit Tommyknocker's in Idaho Springs.

www.tommyknocker.com/PUB___RESTAURANT_RK6V.html

This time of year the pass will be about as high as you can get on pavement... weather depending, of course. It will be closed if we get a good storm, but doesn't stay closed long.
If the weather is bad, and you dont ski, there are several brewery's in the area that do tours (and samples), and the celestial Seasonings Tea plant is there in Boulder, if you are into tea the tour is interesting.
Boulder itself is a destination for lots of folks, no shortage of things to do there. Mork no longer lives there, however.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#228514 1 year, 6 months ago
Barefoot Mountain Mama wrote:
If the weather is bad, and you dont ski, there are several brewery's in the area that do tours (and samples), and the celestial Seasonings Tea plant is there in Boulder, if you are into tea the tour is interesting.
Boulder itself is a destination for lots of folks, no shortage of things to do there. Mork no longer lives there, however.

Hey, I missed that when I was out there, didn't even know Celestial Seasonings was in Boulder! Thanks for the tip, that sounds like a fun visit to make, since I like their products.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Barefoot Mountain Mama
Time to create page: 5.62 seconds