• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
OZA
Senior Boarder

Re: Band Gripes

#227134 1 year, 8 months ago
Jeff C can have a fake penis on his head and wear a bikini for all I care, as long as he keeps up his stellar playing.
I have substances that do the lighting for me, so i don't mind the lighting aspect of shows too much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Griff
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#227135 1 year, 8 months ago
I prefer the stripped down, no light show tours. Throw up a giant tie-dye backdrop with basic stage lights (static, if you please), and I'm good to go. Let me see the band. I'm there to watch and listen to them. I don't want any of the other pomp & circumstance. And if it saves me even a quarter on the ticket price, it's two bits well spent.

Better sound. Their sound crew is entirely mediocre. I don't have any answers, but someone must.

Too many songs in some of the setlists. More improvisation, please.

Too much classic rock juke boxing. Save your contemporary covers for rehearsals (or for never). If it resembles anything like a post-1979 setlist, please reconsider it. I don't even want to listen to recordings of that filler, so I surely don't want to spend all that time and money to see it live. (though, they have been better about it)

Bob's atrocious tonality. Someone play him a SBD so he can hear how awful he sounds.

Turn up and EQ JohnK. I'd like to hear him rip holes in the stratosphere and pierce the sky. If he lacks that aggressive gear, turn up the volume and fool us.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

#227166 1 year, 8 months ago
kevin wrote:
She was a big part of the experience for many years as was Dan Healy

Cheers to Dan (rip) and Candace!!!

Is Dan Healy dead?
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
RowTimmy
Senior Boarder

#227170 1 year, 8 months ago
I have NO Gripes with the band. Not everybody is going to like everything everybody in the band does. After 80 or so shows ive learned that if i wasnt thrilled with any aspect wait and it will be different the next show. These guys could stop altogether.

Im just grateful there are shows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cosmic Arkie, 66slim, NobleGlassArt
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#227175 1 year, 8 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
I prefer the stripped down, no light show tours. Throw up a giant tie-dye backdrop with basic stage lights (static, if you please), and I'm good to go. Let me see the band. I'm there to watch and listen to them. I don't want any of the other pomp & circumstance. And if it saves me even a quarter on the ticket price, it's two bits well spent.

Better sound. Their sound crew is entirely mediocre. I don't have any answers, but someone must.

Too many songs in some of the setlists. More improvisation, please.

Too much classic rock juke boxing. Save your contemporary covers for rehearsals (or for never). If it resembles anything like a post-1979 setlist, please reconsider it. I don't even want to listen to recordings of that filler, so I surely don't want to spend all that time and money to see it live. (though, they have been better about it)

Bob's atrocious tonality. Someone play him a SBD so he can hear how awful he sounds.

Turn up and EQ JohnK. I'd like to hear him rip holes in the stratosphere and pierce the sky. If he lacks that aggressive gear, turn up the volume and fool us.

I agree with you on the lightng. Who really needs it? As far as the wanting to be able to see them up close and bathed in saturated colours moving about, I don't need to. As long as it's loud enough to my liking and the stage is lit, then who cares? I can be up in the rafters as long as there's adequate room to flail about. That's just me.

The Grateful Dead hired one of the best (if not the best) sound companies out there, Ultra Sound out of Novato. Who Furthur uses I don't know. You're the first person I've seen take issue with the sound quality, but you've also shown yourself to be quite the audiophile.

Re: the jukebox thing. Fool in the Rain and Train in Vain come to mind. Why bother? When I want to hear these songs (if ever) then I'll listen to the originals. Btw, major Zep and Clash fan. I like the Beatles and Dylan songs, always have, although thank you for straying from Desolation Row! Love they do Any Road. How about more Dylan/Hunter? Silvio comes to mind!
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder

#227183 1 year, 8 months ago
jaredlang wrote:
Is Dan Healy dead?
No, he is not. He proved to be a nuisance by the end of his GD run, so I doubt he would be an option. If he could swear to not screw with Bob, I'd love for him to come teach this crew a thing or two about a thing or two.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin
lightchaser
Platinum Boarder

#227186 1 year, 8 months ago
I can do without the elaborate lighting as well since it would make the $45 ticket cost $65; but I do feel the sound could be better or at least loud enough to drown out the incessant chatter that always seems to be around me. Us old-timers remember when concerts were so loud you couldn't hear yourself think; and that was a good thing! Would like for JK and JC to be more prominent in the mix.
Thank You Cody, we are forever Grateful!
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#227188 1 year, 8 months ago
RowTimmy wrote:
I have NO Gripes with the band. Not everybody is going to like everything everybody in the band does. After 80 or so shows ive learned that if i wasnt thrilled with any aspect wait and it will be different the next show. These guys could stop altogether.

Im just grateful there are shows.

good for you Timmy
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by AcidTestGraduate.
Esaus Brother is my Son
Junior Boarder

#227190 1 year, 8 months ago
Preston Hoffman is Furthur's lighting director. His brother Paul is Widespread Panic's lighting director.
It's all about how much of a budget they have to work with...in which case WSP WON this past NYE.

Preston

Paul
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by Esaus Brother is my Son. Reason: .
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder

#227192 1 year, 8 months ago
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
I agree with you on the lightng. Who really needs it?
For me, the music is the entire event. I acknowledge many people want it to be more than a concert. For my experience, everything else besides the music is a distraction and is unnecessary.

It's a complicated issue, though. Religions have historically stroked all the senses. Frankincense, gold and art and the opulent, bread & wine, song, and community. The spectacle isn't new. I have a true appreciation for the peripherals, but in the end, that's all they are: peripherals. They aren't necessary for fulfillment.
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by ZenoMarx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Griff
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds