• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

Re: One final thought on some people here

#226844 1 year, 6 months ago
When the crowd goes wild after we've rendered a dismal set, I don't think should clap at all. They should run us out of town on a rail - Bob Weir

Bingo x 2 thanks Bobby. I know some of you walked out of a Grateful Dead show bitching about performance or setlist or anything... yet here... as I found out saying the never ending greatest show ever.. greatest setlist ever threads.. or after or during on the "review" threads LOL... EVERY Furthur show were bunk got me labeled a troll.... and I said (and got flamed for) that this kind of crowd response is what killed Jerry... people cheerinig even if he sucked that night made him not give 2 shits how f.. up he was... read the books its there before you respond did you talk to Jerry? I wear the scarlet T with pride ... I'd rather Bobby be in agreement with me than some internet "how can you ever criticize Bob Weir or Jerry Garcia or Furthur (internet crowd)?. If its awesome I'd say it. If it sucked I say it. Way more often than not it was very good. The chance of seeing the Giant X factor show is what kept many of us on the road. But the "boys" were human and had off nights.. doesn't make you a hater if you call one as such... just that you have a critical ear and can distinguish between a great show and a not so great one. ..........
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by Still Takin it Weirder.
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#226858 1 year, 6 months ago
I'm not sure that Dead Head support is what killed Jerry. Jerry, though a brilliant musician, may have had some other issues that contributed to his downfall. I would also note that while judging the music played is any listeners prerogative, how one goes about doing it can run the gamut from intelligent discourse to trash talk. A lot of musicians would love to have the support that the dead had from their fans. The band earned that support, though at times it lacked perspective.
Moving right along, how we treat each other out here, what we say and how we say it is a reflection on who we are. The internet offers people anonymity.
Laird Grant has been described as a life long friend of Jerry. He was also one of the first Grateful Dead roadies. This is what Laird had to say: "Jerry never laughed at the Deadheads because he'd been a soulless wanderer out there on the dark highway himself. He knew what that was. He did feel there should have been some other way for them to get off but again they were caught up in their own drug. The Dead."
gr8fuljen
Expert Boarder

#226859 1 year, 6 months ago
apparently I've missed nothing... as you were, carry on...

Power to the Captain!
Sugaree1
Platinum Boarder

#226861 1 year, 6 months ago
WITS, you seem to miss one important point. You are not looked down upon because you have a different opinion than others. Read very carefully, its because you think your opinion makes you better rhan other people. Or at least that is how it sounds when i read your comments. You think you are smarter than everybody else, that you "get it" . unfortunately "getting it" is different for everybody. How difficult is that to understand? You are not in a position to decide what "getting it" means for anybody other than yourself
If that jubilee don't come, maybe I'll meet you, on the run
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by Sugaree1.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#226865 1 year, 6 months ago
NYC Dave - Thanks.. I always find your comments pretty spot on. I should have said fans cheering wildly even after abysmal sets ( to use Weirs words) contributed to Jerrys death... if you go to work and everyone tells you how wonderful you are even when YOU know you sucked or were far from good...and it happens over and over... it kinda takes the motivation out of trying to elevate your "game". You always get the same response no matter what, I guess it doesn't matter..anywaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy.

That said at least in the GD days.... at least among the hardcore fans...there WERE plenty of discerning listeners. Amongst my tour buddies whether we were together inside or not a vast majority of the time we would come out and have the same general opinion of the show. I mean, this is how shows got rated... how shows like 6-30-85, 7-17-89, 7-19-89, 10-16-89, 9-20-90. ( or hell most of 1985)...became later day "legends" or must have "tapes". My original point was this seems mostly lost with the Furthur crowd... if you spent anytime in the "review" part of the site as shows are going on live... every single night you would get multiple GREAT SETLIST.... GREAT SHow posts no matter what was played or how it was played. Every show can't be the greatest ever, every setlist can't be the greatest ever. I think it cheats a truely great or special show when every show is rated greatest ever. For this viewpoint I am a "troll" and the "mob" attacked.........

Anyway I'll get off the soapbox..but before I do I am nominatiing a promotion for Tony from Captain to Major Tony for his contribution to the growth of the Furthur Forum. Let it be seconded and it will be official.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#226867 1 year, 6 months ago
Sugaree1 wrote:
WITS, you seem to miss one important point. You are not looked down upon because you have a different opinion than others. Read very carefully, its because you think your opinion makes you better rhan other people. Or at least that is how it sounds when i read your comments. You think you are smarter than everybody else, that you "get it" . unfortunately "getting it" is different for everybody. How difficult is that to understand? You are not in a position to decide what "getting it" means for anybody other than yourself

LOL:

A. Look down on me ?????????????LOLOLOLOLOL I must be doing something right, you being a certified member of the mob I wear that as a badge of honor. Should I go back and quote all your intelligent "name calling" posts you made about me? Not the kynd deadhead friendly way brotha.
B. I don't think I am "better" than anyone... I state my opinions whether popular or not... it is MY opinon. If you have a problem with someone elses opinion state your opinion and why without resorting to name calling and 2nd grade bs...
3. As stated above this isn't a popularity contest... this is the friggin internet. Naturally I would like to get along with everyone..but if I don't do you really think I care??????????
4. Read your own words carefully... words like "piece of shit" "asshole"...do not reflect well on your intellect.
5. As far as "getting it"... whatever floats your boat or gets you by is AOK with me. Why you worry and fret so much about my opinions makes me wonder if you are really are that insecure..... and that you have to be a part of mob and gang attacks because you can't stand on your own 2 feet.
6. Thanks for takin a shot at me.. did I ever address you in this thread? Unprovocked personal attack.. beautiful!!! Now run to your minions for support...btw some of them have been very quiet the last few days. Further I hate to break this to you but I have many friends on this site..just because they aren't the loudest 300 times a day posters.. doesn't mean they aren't there or want to get caught up in this 2nd grade bs.
6. Lastly I'm sure if we met in person we'd get along fine. Don't take the internet so seriously.
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by Still Takin it Weirder.
Sugaree1
Platinum Boarder

#226869 1 year, 6 months ago
Obviously my post was very hateful. I think #6 is a great idea. Where shall we meet?
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#226870 1 year, 6 months ago
Well wits I've been called a loser and a scum the last few days so that was a kind of a shock but I'm sure the result of my actions
were quite validated but i always thought that should have been only resereved for parents when i was a younger lad. probably.shouldnt have let things escalate like they did but yes it is the internet so we say alot of things we might regret later on
but from here and on in i will only comnent about midgets and monkeys. there seems to a consensus that these both groups are lovable. dont know if i want the title of major tony, second class private is only a demotion but i think it still gets party favors from the military.
Sugaree1
Platinum Boarder

#226872 1 year, 6 months ago
And whats funny is i rarely post here anymore, and go against the normal opinion here on many subjects, like scalping. But if someones opinion is different than yours, you say its a mob mentality. Not true in my case, my opinions are mine. And maybe you dont think you are better than anyone, but your posts imply the exact opposite. Didnt you say you and your crew would sit outside GD shows and laugh at newcomers to the scene? Oh yeah
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#226874 1 year, 6 months ago
NYCDave: Yes, that's true I suppose you could say the Dead was our drug. As we all know it just wasn't about watching a musical performance, but so much more. In retrospect, personally, it might have been good to have had one other interest I could have put as much time into as going to shows. Re: Jerry's demise, I think the pressure of him being who he was would be an awful burden to have to carry with him, and I imagine he needed an escape.....enter the bad drugs.

Sugaree1: You bring to mind something I've seen on this forum, and that's the generational thing. I wished everyone here who never got to see a Dead show could have, at the peak of their prowess. Unfortunately that can't happen. It might put into perspective what some of the older folks refer to on occasion. Forgive me if that seems vague,but think you know what I mean. Believe me, I've known first generation Dead heads that told me stories where I wished I had experienced some of what they described, i.e. seeing them at Winterland Halooween '67 and sampling Owsley's latest batch, for example.

STiW: I can relate to a lot of what you say. Like you, it's fair to say, I long for the 'good ol' days'. For some these are the good ol' days, and what they have as a representation of the scene we experienced is still pretty good. It's certainly better than if Bob, Phil, Bill and Mickey had retired and weren't taking other musicians under their tutelage to sort of hand off the baton. I've seen fantastic Furthur shows where I was elated to be hearing the music that's etched on my brain, being performed in ways I'd not heard before. Yet I've also seen some that were so-so. In that sense not a lot has changed.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#226875 1 year, 6 months ago
[quote="Sugaree1" post=226869]Obviously my post was very hateful. I think #6 is a great idea. Where shall we meet?

When furthur hits the east coast again I'll buy you a beer somewhere.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#226876 1 year, 6 months ago
[quote="Still Takin it Weirder" post=226875]Sugaree1 wrote:
Obviously my post was very hateful. I think #6 is a great idea. Where shall we meet?

When furthur hits the east coast again I'll buy you a beer somewhere.

I'll buy the second round!
Time to create page: 0.62 seconds