• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

Re: most consistent furthur songs

#226538 1 year, 9 months ago
Wow Eyes not mentioned till pg. 2?
1. Eyes ( I prefer Phil singing tho)
2. Cumberland
3. Wheel
4. Stella
The voices tell me what to say
i_be_sublime
Expert Boarder
R.I.P.JERRY

#226606 1 year, 9 months ago
In my opinion all the wheels have been pretty good,but the one i love to hear every time and i think are well done are bertha and row timmy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: alilfurther, RowTimmy
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#226617 1 year, 9 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
You all have mentioned the big 3 in my opinion - Jack Straw, Cumberland and Viola Lee are always very well played.

I personally love Mountain Song, Phil's best vocals and he hits it perfect every time. For some reason that song really gets me.

I too really dig Mountain Song and feel like they always do a good job on this one. I like its meaning as well, perhaps cause I chose to live in the mountains:

Gonna let the mountains be my home
(Such a long time)
Gonna let the mountains be my home
(I want to breathe)
Gonna free my soul to roam
(I'm gonna move mountains)
Gonna make the mountains be my home
(I'm gonna move)
Gonna make the mountains be my home
Just got to breathe...

I just love the line "Gonna free my soul to roam", that is what I have been trying to achieve my entire life. A bit esoteric no doubt but that to me signifies freedom of mind, spirit and soul to go FURTHUR then you gone before.

A lot of times that mountains take me to that place.

Agree with all suggested (Jack, Viola, Cumberland, Terrpain Suite, Help>Slip>Franklins).

Perhaps one more to throw out is Standing on the Moon. I really like the way Furthur plays this song and Bob singing it. Link below for 12/29/11, a great one. This years on 12/29/12 was also pretty darn good.

I was having a kick ass time this year dancing behind my wife and then leaning forward and either whispering in her ear "I would rather be with you" or just kissing her cheek. She smiled at a Furthur concert. YAY!!! I knew this day would come.

archive.org/details/furthur2011-12-29.sb...ficial.118675.flac16
The following user(s) said Thank You: alilfurther
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#226619 1 year, 9 months ago
As I said in Sue's praise of Unbroken Chain the other night, the first one to come to mind is Unbroken Chain. Consistently good to very good, but never phenomenal. I'm a big, big fan of that song, so a consistent "B+" grade is fine with me. I'd have to disagree with Terrapin, and I single it out on the contrary because I wish it was consistently solid. It can come off as pretty bland a lot of the time (mostly because Russo doesn't always take control of it like the song demands the drummer to do). One of the songs they can smoke, but they don't often come through in the top shelf level. That's the problem with prog rock, though. There isn't a lot of middle ground with something like Terrapin or Unbroken Chain, both of which I consider on the prog side, Terrapin being more so because it is more limiting by design.

How about Mason's Children, Golden Road, Passenger, and the quick-tempo rockers? This thread makes me realize, for my money, this band is treading near that "always solid, but rarely stellar" area. We're getting fewer stand-out sets and shows now. Cruising and never flooring; bordering on complacency. Kind of reminds me of how the GD felt that final ten years.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Poles
Expert Boarder

#226628 1 year, 9 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
As I said in Sue's praise of Unbroken Chain the other night, the first one to come to mind is Unbroken Chain. Consistently good to very good, but never phenomenal. I'm a big, big fan of that song, so a consistent "B+" grade is fine with me. I'd have to disagree with Terrapin, and I single it out on the contrary because I wish it was consistently solid. It can come off as pretty bland a lot of the time (mostly because Russo doesn't always take control of it like the song demands the drummer to do). One of the songs they can smoke, but they don't often come through in the top shelf level. That's the problem with prog rock, though. There isn't a lot of middle ground with something like Terrapin or Unbroken Chain, both of which I consider on the prog side, Terrapin being more so because it is more limiting by design.

How about Mason's Children, Golden Road, Passenger, and the quick-tempo rockers? This thread makes me realize, for my money, this band is treading near that "always solid, but rarely stellar" area. We're getting fewer stand-out sets and shows now. Cruising and never flooring; bordering on complacency. Kind of reminds me of how the GD felt that final ten years.

I would have to agree with you every step of the way. Truth be told, the Phil and friends with Jackie proved more energetic and inspiring than Furthur offerings of late, at least for my taste.
Don't ya touch hard liquor
Just a cup of cold coffee
mjwhitegd
Junior Boarder

#226654 1 year, 9 months ago
my favorite furthur songs:
1. Jack Straw
2. Cumberland Blues (the harmonies from the backup singers and Jeff's incredible playing actually make me choose furthur over the grateful dead when i'm in the mood to listen to a cumberland. i especially like the one from bethel 2011).
3. Cassidy!!!
4. Let it Grow
5. Unbroken Chain
6. Mountains of the Moon
7. One More Saturday Night (every time i see a furthur show on a saturday night and they encore with it, my first thought is something like... "holy shit, why do i have to hear this as the encore at every saturday show?"... my second thought is... "holy shit... thats why ")
drpsilocybo
Junior Boarder
Trying to find a peacefull song

#226655 1 year, 9 months ago
So Many Roads!
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#226662 1 year, 9 months ago
1. Eyes
2. Dew
3. Unbroken chain
4. Cumberland
5. china>rider
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#226680 1 year, 9 months ago
i_be_sublime wrote:
In my opinion all the wheels have been pretty good,but the one i love to hear every time and i think are well done are bertha and row timmy!

O thanks for making my morning JR.
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#226681 1 year, 9 months ago
O yes and you can never go wrong with a Shakedown or KSM from Furthur!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds