• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Bazza99
Junior Boarder

Re: Broomfield Questions

#226605 1 year, 6 months ago
Hey Griff, same exact conditions in Tahoe, I just got home from Mt Rose. I was love'n the fresh pow but we had that same hard pack layer too. It was very cold for Tahoe around 15 degrees.
Are you a Broncos fan?

MtRoseDec182012028.JPG
The following user(s) said Thank You: mcolleen
Phred
Senior Boarder

#226610 1 year, 6 months ago
Bazza99 wrote:
Hey Griff, same exact conditions in Tahoe, I just got home from Mt Rose. I was love'n the fresh pow but we had that same hard pack layer too. It was very cold for Tahoe around 15 degrees.

I learned to ski on that "stuff". Don't know if they still call it this, but when I was out there they called it "Sierra Cement". Moved to Colorado over 20 years ago and discovered real snow. I doubt that I will ever ski west coast again...
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#226620 1 year, 6 months ago
[quote="Bazza99" post=226605]Hey Griff, same exact conditions in Tahoe, I just got home from Mt Rose. I was love'n the fresh pow but we had that same hard pack layer too. It was very cold for Tahoe around 15 degrees.
Are you a Broncos fan?

Yep, it was the warm then the really cold very quickly behind it (17 at the top here). Fresh was nice but the hard layer underneath kind of sucks. Ski light was the mantra today.

I am a Broncos fan, though will to admit that is mainly because of Peyton. Living in Seattle, I am a life long Seahawks fan (well, kinda) so when we were in AFC West the Broncos were the enemy. I think I might even still have a Bronco Buster t--shirt from the early 80s. LOL!!!!!

Phred, now that is funny bro cause Sue says give me the West over the Midwest and you are like Rockies over the West. LOL. es, true that we ski some really heavy snow some days, but it makes us better skiers. LOL. That is what we say to make ourselves feel better about it. Or we say this is "good base building snow", a euphemisim for this sucks. LOL.

One good story though:

I ran the University of WA ski school for 10 years (88-97). Trained many instructors and got them certified, which usually meant they went and taught at destination resorts (Vail, Aspen, Taos, Squaw, Jackson and so on).

One bro went to Jackson for the winter and came back in March for my programs annual end of the season (well lessons) party called Blendermania (one rule for all instructors - bring a fifth and a blender). A rager to say the least.

He brings back with him the "hottest" skier in Jackson from the JHAF. We party all night. All night it dumps Cascade cement, about 18 inches. We get up and ski at 8 AM.

Bro from Jackson is literally dead after two runs while we are all thinking it is a bonus powder day. LOL.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#226629 1 year, 6 months ago
Well it better start snowing here soon if you all are planning a ski trip. Unlike the PNW, it's been dry as a bone here. Typically February is fairly dry any way, let alone this year. Too bad the shows aren't in March or April, that's when we get the real snow.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
whatdah
Junior Boarder

#226649 1 year, 6 months ago
Griff wrote:
Hey bro, Crested sure sounds like a lot of fun. I thought about heading there this year too with my son for the 2nd stop of the JR. World Freeski Tour that he is competing in this year (at Crystal, Squaw, Taos and Snowbird) but man they just dont have much snow yet this year:

Total 94%

Beginner & Intermediate 95%

Advanced 98%

Extreme 0% (OUCH, I wonder how they can run their comp)

Broomfield is a great venue. Very mellow scene. I went for the 2011 Furthur run. Parking was not bad, I am sure folks are right at $10. SF is rediculous for parking costs, though I got lucky the 30th and found a spot on the street for free, wohoo.

Shakedown 2 years ago was pretty good I thought, but is weather dependent. That run had a stretch of early sping weather with temps in the 60s each day. Seriously. Might be a bit colder this tome which could dampen the spririts out in Shakedown.

They have a few bars inside and I dont drink beer but man did I drink a lot of Crown. It was pricey, but cant be more then SF.

Sounds like a lot of post show activity might happen at the Aloft or the hotels a few miles down in the in Westminster (where my and my 2 bros are staying).

BTW - one of my bros and I are planning on skiing both Thurs and Fri (not Sat, too crowded) at Copper or the someplace in Summit county. Always enjoy skiing fast with new people!!!

no need to worry about the venue Griff, CB has a real sweet area for the comp.
What you need to worry about is snow. We need it!
Taos is in great need as well.
Don't shake the tree if the fruit ain't ripe
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#227099 1 year, 6 months ago
Cool, sounds like snow is the key. Sure has been cold the paste few days there huh? Even cold here as the last 3 morning the temps have been in the low teens to start the ski day.

Well, we have 5 more weeks, lets hope a storm or two rolls through. March and April are awlays the best months in all areas.

CB looks like a great place, and I have heard they have great Expert terrain. But none of its open right now?????

DM - bummer about the game yesterday bro. I am down 20-0 at halftime and it doesnt look good........
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds