• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Thanwarin
Fresh Boarder

Jerry Garcia Guitar 2 B Auctioned 4 Charity

#22559 3 years, 4 months ago
Hello All,

One of Jerry's guitars, Alembic #72-13 nicknamed Lucky #13 will be auctioned for charity on eBay starting June 5, 2011 at 7PM PST and will end on June 12th at 7PM PST.

Lots of photos of Matthew Kelly, Bob and Jerry, all the info you need about the guitar and charity auction is available here:
www.jerrygarciaguitar.com

Follow us on Twitter @JGarciaLucky13

1.studioshot.jpg
intothesun
Visitor

Re: Jerry Garcia Guitar 2 B Auctioned 4 Charity

#22561 3 years, 4 months ago
I'll start the bidding at 50K
Thanwarin
Fresh Boarder

#22875 3 years, 4 months ago
That's a great start, do I hear a 55K?
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#22929 3 years, 4 months ago
It kills me that the guitar is probably going to end up in the closet of some rich non-deadhead collector instead of in a museum
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
Thanwarin
Fresh Boarder

#23540 3 years, 4 months ago
the highway terror wrote:
It kills me that the guitar is probably going to end up in the closet of some rich non-deadhead collector instead of in a museum

Any suggestions of museums to contact? I tried contacting the curators at the Experience Music Project in Seattle but no reply yet.
DancingBear
Senior Boarder

#23636 3 years, 4 months ago
Too bad us heads couldn't pool our cash together, bid on it and then give the guitar to someone who we know would really appreciate it and take care of it....like JK.
Can't talk to you without talkin' to me. Were guilty of the same ol' things.
DeadHead420
Platinum Boarder
More negative karma please =-)

#23638 3 years, 4 months ago
GIVE IT TO FAKE JERRY, MAN
Thanwarin
Fresh Boarder

#26299 3 years, 4 months ago
I wanted to update everyone about the auction. Along with Jerry's guitar, Luck #13 we are including one of Jerry's backstage practice amps, a 1950's Blonde Fender Harvard amp that he would use to warmup before shows.

More info www.jerrygarciaguitar.com/

Follow us on twitter @JGarciaLucky13

fender.jpg
Steve
Junior Boarder

#26305 3 years, 4 months ago
I thought I was familiar with most guitars that Jerry played........ When did he play this one onstage?

Taken from the website listed below...

This is an authentic Alembic guitar, serial #72-13. Custom made for Jerry Garcia in 1972 by the guitar building masters: Doug Irwin, Ron Wickersham, Rick Turner, and Frank Fuller. The guitar was stored in Bob Weir’s studio, Ace’s, from 1972 until 1998. Perhaps the guitar was used on Bobby Weir’s Ace album and may have been used on a Jerry Garcia solo project according to a signed letter of authentication by Bob Weir.

I get that this is for charity, BUT come on.....it was made for Jerry in 1972 and then stored in Bob's studio from 1972 until after Jerry's death. So this was a guitar made for Jerry that he didn't like enough to take on tour and play regularly?

Calling this a Jerry Garcia guitar is quite a leap....
Thanks Charlie Miller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by Steve.
Thanwarin
Fresh Boarder

#31211 3 years, 3 months ago
Steve wrote:
I get that this is for charity, BUT come on.....it was made for Jerry in 1972 and then stored in Bob's studio from 1972 until after Jerry's death. So this was a guitar made for Jerry that he didn't like enough to take on tour and play regularly?

Calling this a Jerry Garcia guitar is quite a leap....

Hi Steve, I think our old home page of the website did not really told the whole story of Lucky #13. Please visit the recently updated version at www.jerrygarciaguitar.com. I'll share a few basic facts that you might have missed the first time.

#1. Alembic's record show that 72-13 was made for Jerry Garcia. Also note that Alembic have always enforced a "no endorsement" policy. All artists, no matter how famous have to pay the full price for a guitar. This was not a freebie that Jerry had no interest in and then handed off to a friend. He obviously liked it enough to pay a lot of money for it (Alembics are not cheap) Alembics are not purchased on a whim.

#2 According to Letter of Authenticity from Bob Weir "It is believed that Jerry played this guitar on his first Jerry Garcia album which was recorded in Bob Weir's recording studio."

#3 It was in Jerry's personal collection for 8 years before he gifted it to Matthew Kelly while they were in Bob Weir's studio working on Kelly's "A Wing and a Prayer" in the early 80's. Matthew has since gifted it to Amicus to raise money to continue their work in Thailand. Let me share Matthew's thoughts about this, "There is a a truly wonderful quote by Dr. Albert Schweitzer which says ,"The greatest gift that a man can have is to be able to be of service to his fellow man". It is this concept that inspired me to want to "pay it forward" and give freely of what was given so freely to me, by the ever beloved guitarist, Jerry Garcia, a man who continually gave so much of himself on so many different levels"

It is well known that Jerry Garcia had very few guitars when compared to other players of his caliber. Alembic made only a few custom guitars for the Grateful Dead. Alembic guitars are rare, especially from 1972 when they first started handcrafting Alembic guitars and basses. To this day, Alembic does not produce instruments in large numbers. They are hand made, one at a time and only four where crafted for Jerry. #2 was made for Bob Weir (now at Hard Rock), Phil Lesh had #8, Mickey Hart #19. Alembic #3, #13 & #25 were made for Jerry Garcia (#3 is now back at Alembic, #25 Ramrod's Eagle was auctioned in 2007). Garcia was also owner of #6 for a while until he damaged it and traded it in for a new one. That leaves Lucky #13 as a unique opportunity for Grateful Dead fans.

This door of opportunity opens June 5th 7PM PDT on eBay and closes June 12 7PM PDT. Bid high, feel good!
Thanks from all of us at Amicus.
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds