• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: Grateful Dead - pick a year

#225562 1 year, 3 months ago
splatter_face wrote:
I will go 1982. One the shows I would not have missed in 82 was this one.

archive.org/details/gd82-08-10.sbd.miller.12453.sbeok.shnf

Another great year! You wouldn't have wanted to miss this one either, Josh: the first night at Alpine, 8/7/82. It's a great show, and is also Dick's Pick's 32. Of course, since it was my very first show, I'm a little biased, but Dick thought it was great too, so it's not just me!

archive.org/details/gd82-08-07.sbd.serafin.7720.sbeok.shnf

Set 1: The Music Never Stopped-> Sugaree-> The Music Never Stopped, Me & My Uncle-> Big River, It Must Have Been The Roses, CC Rider, Ramble On Rose, Beat It On Down The Line-> On The Road Again, Althea, Let It Grow
Set 2: China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Women Are Smarter, Ship of Fools, Playin' In The Band-> Drums-> The Wheel-> Playin' In The Band-> Morning Dew-> One More Saturday Night, E: U.S. Blues
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#225564 1 year, 3 months ago
re: 10/31/85 if you haven't heard it in a while. The space>drums>space is quite exceptional. There's barely any Drums
in that sandwich.

Might be those weren't inhalants ingested,as suggested, but maybe some eye droppers passed around.

archive.org/details/gd1985-10-31.122146.senn.roberts.flac16
OZA
Senior Boarder

#225572 1 year, 3 months ago
Ah Dick's Picks 8 has almost turned into an every day listen for me
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#225632 1 year, 3 months ago
Perhaps it would be much easier to pick the worst year......

I have recently spent much time listening to early 80's and find many treasures in that period of time.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#225834 1 year, 3 months ago
OZA wrote:
Say you've got a single calendar year to see Dead shows. You didn't have to be alive back then. What year do you choose?
I'm going with 1969. Psychedelic and experimental seem to be the 2 best words to describe the year. The Fillmore West shows and 6-14-69 are some good examples.

Tough decision. It would have to be a year with Pigpen, I would likely go with 69 too, but strong consideration for 70, 71 and 72.
These are the good old days!!
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#225837 1 year, 3 months ago
newyawker wrote:

I have recently spent much time listening to early 80's and find many treasures in that period of time.

that's pretty easy. 1995
OZA
Senior Boarder

#225838 1 year, 3 months ago
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
newyawker wrote:

that's pretty easy. 1995

I say '75. An almost empty year in the peak of their career is far more disappointing than a frail Jerry doing his best towards the end of his life.
gratefuldude1963
Junior Boarder
grateful 4 furthur

#225865 1 year, 3 months ago
it would have to be 1977 and all of those larger than life shows. also including the best show ever played-according to most.
it's all a dream we dreamed one afternoon long ago
The following user(s) said Thank You: alilfurther
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#225872 1 year, 3 months ago
SunshineSue wrote:
splatter_face wrote:

Another great year! You wouldn't have wanted to miss this one either, Josh: the first night at Alpine, 8/7/82. It's a great show, and is also Dick's Pick's 32. Of course, since it was my very first show, I'm a little biased, but Dick thought it was great too, so it's not just me!

Set 1: The Music Never Stopped-> Sugaree-> The Music Never Stopped, Me & My Uncle-> Big River, It Must Have Been The Roses, CC Rider, Ramble On Rose, Beat It On Down The Line-> On The Road Again, Althea, Let It Grow
Set 2: China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Women Are Smarter, Ship of Fools, Playin' In The Band-> Drums-> The Wheel-> Playin' In The Band-> Morning Dew-> One More Saturday Night, E: U.S. Blues

Sue, I am pretty sure I was at that show also. I will check with my parents tomorrow, because I was 4 at the time! We lived about 45 minutes from Alpine in the early 80's and we went to several shows at Alpine when I was a little kid.
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#226043 1 year, 3 months ago
splatter_face wrote:
SunshineSue wrote:
splatter_face wrote:

Sue, I am pretty sure I was at that show also. I will check with my parents tomorrow, because I was 4 at the time! We lived about 45 minutes from Alpine in the early 80's and we went to several shows at Alpine when I was a little kid.

Hey, that's pretty cool!! And I was always up dancing on the hill, where a lot of the families were. Let me know if you were one of those little cuties running around.
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#226098 1 year, 3 months ago
I talked to my Dad and he said he was pretty sure we were there. I sent him the archive link to refresh his memory. He said my mom might have some pictures from some of the 80's Alpine shows, so I am going to check with her on that tomorrow
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
theotherone
Junior Boarder

#226116 1 year, 3 months ago
OZA wrote:
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
newyawker wrote:

that's pretty easy. 1995

I say '75. An almost empty year in the peak of their career is far more disappointing than a frail Jerry doing his best towards the end of his life.

i dunno....while '75 did not have many shows, they all have a magic feel to them. When they announced the "hiatus" at the end of 1974, a lot of us were worried we'd never see a Dead show again, & to hear they were playing again was a big time relief !!
Favorite year ??? hard to pin down to one, I'd 72-74, mainly because that was the timeframe of my first shows.
......While the Music Plays the Band.....
Time to create page: 0.57 seconds