• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

Re: Grateful Dead - pick a year

#225520 1 year, 9 months ago
I will go 1982. One the shows I would not have missed in 82 was this one.

archive.org/details/gd82-08-10.sbd.miller.12453.sbeok.shnf
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#225538 1 year, 9 months ago
A few things:

1. As far as personal preference, I'll take 1970. To see accoustic/electric Dead plus NRPS would be the bomb - ATG

Bingo. Jerry playin pedal steel with New Riders. Tons of "killer" show - sort of a transition from the 60's to the 70's...
Go to 6-24-70 B Portchester for the most back of the neck hair raising energy I've ever heard. I love 85 but I was there -I'm going with something I didn't attend. 5-2-70 doesn't suck either..I know its well known but this is a case of the show being deserving of the hype. Much like 85 in that you can throw a dart at a date and 99% of the time your gonna hit a very good to great show.

2. In regards to the LL Rain from 10-31-85 referenced above it is THE best LL Rain ever IMHO. That whole first set was insane-one of my 2 favorite set 1's ever attended (4-8-85 being the other) ... Second set of 10-31-85 ..not bad but I think there was some substance ingestion during setbreak.... I've mentioned it here before but if you want to hear Mr Weir being influenced by peruvian marching soldiers listen to him lose it/go off during the "just gotta poke around" part of Shakedown
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Still Takin it Weirder.
Wheelman
Gold Boarder

#225540 1 year, 9 months ago
Spring 90'

any other choice is Un-American...
(“I don’t suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.” )
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#225541 1 year, 9 months ago
splatter_face wrote:

Totally agree, although I missed this one. Not complaining, this was the tour that changed my life.
This show is certainly the culmination of a string of shows where the band was on fire. 12 song first set, and what a
selection. Always love those shows when they pull out a few seldom scene for the time. Second set is sweet also. Iko out of space!
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#225546 1 year, 9 months ago
Even though 74 and 77 are dear to me, Fall 1980 was a special time to be a Deadhead on the East coast. I saw 3 shows: Rochester,NY, Lewiston, ME and Radio City. The energy was just bursting out all over the place.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#225559 1 year, 9 months ago
Still Takin it Weirder wrote:
A few things:

1. As far as personal preference, I'll take 1970. To see accoustic/electric Dead plus NRPS would be the bomb - ATG

Bingo. Jerry playin pedal steel with New Riders. Tons of "killer" show - sort of a transition from the 60's to the 70's...
Go to 6-24-70 B Portchester for the most back of the neck hair raising energy I've ever heard. I love 85 but I was there -I'm going with something I didn't attend. 5-2-70 doesn't suck either..I know its well known but this is a case of the show being deserving of the hype. Much like 85 in that you can throw a dart at a date and 99% of the time your gonna hit a very good to great show.

2. In regards to the LL Rain from 10-31-85 referenced above it is THE best LL Rain ever IMHO. That whole first set was insane-one of my 2 favorite set 1's ever attended (4-8-85 being the other) ... Second set of 10-31-85 ..not bad but I think there was some substance ingestion during setbreak.... I've mentioned it here before but if you want to hear Mr Weir being influenced by peruvian marching soldiers listen to him lose it/go off during the "just gotta poke around" part of Shakedown

5/2/70 could never be considered over hyped. Can you imagine them playing that second set in '85? Faces would have been melting. If I could build a time machine, one of my destinations would definitely be Harpur college on that night. That is THE Viola.
One thing to mention in all this talk about 1970 is Pigpen was very much a part of this band. His contributions were massive.

10-31-85 is indicative of where the band worked the audience. Didn't hurt that it's Halloween. A show that starts with Space? I can just envision all the freaks dancing furiously with cheshire grins as soon as they recognized Werewolves. Bobby sure infuses some energy into LLR, and he's quite exuberant on Shakedown for sho'. I like how it sounds as if it's falling apart on Playin' right before "standing on a tower....", but they pull it right back together. Some nice exploration at the end of that also. One more of their tricks we love so much. Nobody could ever phuque up as elegantly as the Dead.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#225562 1 year, 9 months ago
splatter_face wrote:

Another great year! You wouldn't have wanted to miss this one either, Josh: the first night at Alpine, 8/7/82. It's a great show, and is also Dick's Pick's 32. Of course, since it was my very first show, I'm a little biased, but Dick thought it was great too, so it's not just me!

archive.org/details/gd82-08-07.sbd.serafin.7720.sbeok.shnf

Set 1: The Music Never Stopped-> Sugaree-> The Music Never Stopped, Me & My Uncle-> Big River, It Must Have Been The Roses, CC Rider, Ramble On Rose, Beat It On Down The Line-> On The Road Again, Althea, Let It Grow
Set 2: China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Women Are Smarter, Ship of Fools, Playin' In The Band-> Drums-> The Wheel-> Playin' In The Band-> Morning Dew-> One More Saturday Night, E: U.S. Blues
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#225564 1 year, 9 months ago
re: 10/31/85 if you haven't heard it in a while. The space>drums>space is quite exceptional. There's barely any Drums
in that sandwich.

Might be those weren't inhalants ingested,as suggested, but maybe some eye droppers passed around.

archive.org/details/gd1985-10-31.122146.senn.roberts.flac16
OZA
Senior Boarder

#225572 1 year, 9 months ago
Ah Dick's Picks 8 has almost turned into an every day listen for me
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#225632 1 year, 9 months ago
Perhaps it would be much easier to pick the worst year......

I have recently spent much time listening to early 80's and find many treasures in that period of time.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds