• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
OZA
Senior Boarder

Grateful Dead - pick a year

#225297 1 year, 3 months ago
Say you've got a single calendar year to see Dead shows. You didn't have to be alive back then. What year do you choose?
I'm going with 1969. Psychedelic and experimental seem to be the 2 best words to describe the year. The Fillmore West shows and 6-14-69 are some good examples.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: Grateful Dead - pick a year

#225313 1 year, 3 months ago
1985. The music was great and the times were good!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SugarMee
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#225317 1 year, 3 months ago

IMO their most psychedelic period but we all have our own psychedelic tastes. Their vocals were perfect, and so trippy. I can't always explain it but 73-74 vocals trip me out. They were so into their voices. wasn't just the vocals either, not by far....
The following user(s) said Thank You: teafortexas, SugarMee
gr8ful bruin
Senior Boarder
Mr. Charlie

#225321 1 year, 3 months ago
!st set 1972

2nd set 1973
Go to Terrapin, no really go to TERRAPIN
lightchaser
Platinum Boarder

#225327 1 year, 3 months ago
Well I love '76 since it was my 1st; love '91 cause it was my best; but if I could only use the Way-Back Machine once, I would go to '74.
Thank You Cody, we are forever Grateful!
Country Fresh
Junior Boarder

#225330 1 year, 3 months ago
1971.They were building on past success towards the promise of the future.Pigpen was still healthy(at least for the first 3/4 of the year) Keith was great for the last 1/4 and in my opinion they were playing at their most basic,honest from the gut level.The other 29 years were pretty good as well.
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by Country Fresh.
teafortexas
Expert Boarder
Dancin on a pin

#225337 1 year, 3 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:

IMO their most psychedelic period but we all have our own psychedelic tastes. Their vocals were perfect, and so trippy. I can't always explain it but 73-74 vocals trip me out. They were so into their voices. wasn't just the vocals either, not by far....

Tough call but I gotta go 1974 too. Certainly a psychedelic year - just not as mean and greasy at 67 - 69. There are almost no wrong answers to this one.
Everybody is either making love...Or else expecting rain
Big Ralph
Junior Boarder

#225391 1 year, 3 months ago
I can't do it.....just love it all(except for a few songs)....just the best music!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DigiGal
RBull
Junior Boarder

#225399 1 year, 3 months ago
Maybe I'm weird...1980. The band was reinventing itself with Brent. Everything seemed raw and new (lots of new arrangements) and LOUD. I only saw one show in 1980, but there are plenty I'd like to go back and catch!
kblodget
Junior Boarder

#225402 1 year, 3 months ago
I am always torn between 74 and 77.

I think the band soundest the best in 74, but 77 was very close and they had added some great songs to their repertoire.
Time to create page: 0.66 seconds