• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Poles
Expert Boarder

Re: NEWSFLASH: Marijuana for Recreational Use is LEGAL

#221105 1 year, 7 months ago
In all probability you won't. Even if Dems controlled both halves of the legislature, legalizing marijuana would present itself as an uphill battle. Obama does not favor legalizing marijuana and both sides (right and left) do not seem particularly eager for a campaign to legalize it. Last week New Jersey officially opened its first dispensary but Gov. Christie stated "The abuses seen in California and Colorado would not be seen in the Garden State." So, that tells me access to marijuana will be strictly limited those with "dire medical needs." Christie said he "Would not have signed the law," but "It is the law of NJ now so he has to enforce it...however there are Federal considerations as it is still prohibited under federal law." Here is my take on it. I do not partake of cannabis, i prefer a craft brew at the end of my day, however many of my friends prefer smoking a little reefer to unwind. I really do not see the harm in it. Hey, many of us live hectic lives, work, family, school, etc... we need some down time, and if that means puffing a little weed, God bless you. Ben Franklin liked to smoke weed and we all know how Americans hold him in such high regard. Lord only knows what was going on at those "Hell Fire Club" gatherings:evil:
Don't ya touch hard liquor
Just a cup of cold coffee
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

#221107 1 year, 7 months ago
if you think it should be legal, then be the change you want to see...write your lawmakers, vote for those who support legalization...too often we live detached from the process and lazily complain about how 'they' aren't doing anything right, forgetting that it's not 'they' it's 'we'...'we' elect these clowns, and if 'we' want it legal so shall it be...and it's going to happen sooner rather than later...the cork is out of the bottle and you can't stop running water
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#221112 1 year, 7 months ago
Poles wrote:
.........Last week New Jersey officially opened its first dispensary but Gov. Christie stated "The abuses seen in California and Colorado would not be seen in the Garden State." ................

It's my opinion that the ads placed in local papers in CA and CO are doing more damage to the cause than can be described. They are perpetuating the stereotypes.
These are the good old days!!
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#221128 1 year, 7 months ago
Carl wrote:
marijuana is not alcohol. it should not be treated like alcohol and it should not be regulated in the way alcohol is. However, that is exactly what WA and CO are preparing to do. the legalization laws are poorly written. 1 ounce limit?? new felonies for over 21's smoking with under 21's?? get outta here! what if i am smart and I buy in bulk to pay less and get pulled over on my way home? felony possession for having a pound?? what if im 22 and me and my 19 year old buddy get caught smoking somewhere? Now in these states i am contributing to the delinquency of a minor. poor laws written with no foresight. just like PROP 19 in CA in 2010. In my opinion, the medical marijuana laws and the decriminalization that many states already practice are way better than these poorly written legalization laws.

Being in posession of a pound is a felony everywhere, providing alcohol or any mind altering substance to a minor is a crime everywhere

Small Steps, but this recent legislation is a MAJOR Milestone
-- smell every flower --
Wundurland
Expert Boarder

#221132 1 year, 7 months ago
Thank you, Obama, for finally saying on record that the fed gov has bigger fish to fry than mary jane users.
...was staring at the little blotch of sunshine with a special intensity, considering lying down in it.

-JD Salinger
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin
Carl
Junior Boarder

#221298 1 year, 7 months ago
you missed my point entirely kevin. one can go to costco and buy as much liquor as you want. why is that? because there is nothing unsafe about it. why would you settle for a law that limits the amount of cannabis you have? why is an ounce ok but a pound not? what if i grow? as soon as i harvest i am in violation of the law. I currently have authorization from my doctor to posses five pounds. All i had to do was go in, state my need, and explain that I grow. He was happy to up my limits. Any medical patient COULD do the same. ill say it again, what we have in place now in the medical states is hands down better than these quasi legal laws. These laws create new felonies and are written with no foresight. dont settle for this bullshit people. demand real change and cannabis legislation written by people who have fully thought this through....It doesnt matter tho. we wont get a real legalization law passed till the baby boomer generation is all gone...too many old voting mofo's stuck in the 1950's
The following user(s) said Thank You: DancingTurtle
DancingTurtle
Platinum Boarder

#221300 1 year, 7 months ago
The reason why it didn't pas in CA is just that.
The bill was not written in the peoples favor.
If it had passed we would of been only to possess an ounce.
And CA to smart for that.
whatdah
Junior Boarder

#221464 1 year, 7 months ago
Carl wrote:
you missed my point entirely kevin. one can go to costco and buy as much liquor as you want. why is that? because there is nothing unsafe about it. why would you settle for a law that limits the amount of cannabis you have? why is an ounce ok but a pound not? what if i grow? as soon as i harvest i am in violation of the law. I currently have authorization from my doctor to posses five pounds. All i had to do was go in, state my need, and explain that I grow. He was happy to up my limits. Any medical patient COULD do the same. ill say it again, what we have in place now in the medical states is hands down better than these quasi legal laws. These laws create new felonies and are written with no foresight. dont settle for this bullshit people. demand real change and cannabis legislation written by people who have fully thought this through....It doesnt matter tho. we wont get a real legalization law passed till the baby boomer generation is all gone...too many old voting mofo's stuck in the 1950's

maybe you ought to poach a big fattie out of that five pound stash of yours and chill just a bit
be patient.
what legislation is every right the first time? The colorado bill is a step in the right direction.
By the way, the colorado law allows one to grow, up to five plants I believe. And I think you can harvest them as well.
Don't shake the tree if the fruit ain't ripe
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by whatdah.
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#221508 1 year, 7 months ago
Carl wrote:

why would your doctor write you a "prescription" to possess 5 pounds at one time? That's like giving a years worth of "pain medication" at one time. Sounds like your loophole is being threatened. Also no one mentioned medical MJ besides you, not all of us live in states where we can "legally" possess 5 pounds at once. From my individual point of view, this is indeed ground breaking, sorry if you don't agree because you might not be able to possess 5 pounds at one time.
-- smell every flower --
Carl
Junior Boarder

#221730 1 year, 7 months ago
kevin wrote:
Carl wrote:

why would your doctor write you a "prescription" to possess 5 pounds at one time? That's like giving a years worth of "pain medication" at one time. Sounds like your loophole is being threatened. Also no one mentioned medical MJ besides you, not all of us live in states where we can "legally" possess 5 pounds at once. From my individual point of view, this is indeed ground breaking, sorry if you don't agree because you might not be able to possess 5 pounds at one time.

clearly you dont understand the physics of growing. five plants in my yard gives my five pounds. i have the authorization to have five pounds because that is what i harvest. It is not even comparable to "getting a years worth of pain meds at once". the fact the you even compared cannabis to a pharmaceutical drug shows to me that you are not worth debating with after this post. under these laws, as soon as you harvest, you break the law. what kind of legalization laws wont let you grow your own? do you honestly think that citizens should not be able to grow? sounds like you kinda resent the fact that i have figured out a way to get a years worth of cannabis for about 25 cents a gram. Getting a bad law repealed and replaced with a sensible one will be much harder than waiting another 10 years and getting a real legalization law passed.
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by Carl.
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

#221770 1 year, 7 months ago
this makes me ill...just follow the money...

want to open a legal operation to sell cannabis? nope, holder's going to come down on you...

want to launder money for murderous mexican drug lords? no problem, as long as you have a powerful lobby and make some huge campaign contributions

great work...liars, hypocrites, puppets of the truly wealthy...our gov't bought and paid for and brought to you by Global Megabank Inc.

YORK — When the Justice Department announced its record $1.9 billion settlement against British bank HSBC last week, prosecutors called it a powerful blow to a dysfunctional institution accused of laundering money for Iran, Libya and Mexico's murderous drug cartels.

But to some former federal prosecutors, it was only the latest case of the government stopping short of bringing criminal money laundering charges against a big bank or its executives, at least in part on the rationale that such prosecutions could be devastating enough to cause such banks to fail.

They say it sounds a lot like the "too big to fail" meme that kept big but sickly banks alive on the support of taxpayer-funded bailouts. In these cases, they call it, "Too big to jail."

"Shame on the Department of Justice. Shame on them," said Jimmy Gurulé, a former federal prosecutor who teaches law at the University of Notre Dame.

"These are actions that facilitated major international drug cartels to continue their operations," he said. "Now, if that doesn't justify criminal prosecution, I can't imagine a case that would."
Phred
Senior Boarder

#221780 1 year, 7 months ago
[quote="spring mountain high" post=221770]this makes me ill...just follow the money...

want to open a legal operation to sell cannabis? nope, holder's going to come down on you...

want to launder money for murderous mexican drug lords? no problem, as long as you have a powerful lobby and make some huge campaign contributions

great work...liars, hypocrites, puppets of the truly wealthy...our gov't bought and paid for and brought to you by Global Megabank Inc.

[quote]YORK — When the Justice Department announced its record $1.9 billion settlement against British bank HSBC last week, prosecutors called it a powerful blow to a dysfunctional institution accused of laundering money for Iran, Libya and Mexico's murderous drug cartels.

But to some former federal prosecutors, it was only the latest case of the government stopping short of bringing criminal money laundering charges against a big bank or its executives, at least in part on the rationale that such prosecutions could be devastating enough to cause such banks to fail.

They say it sounds a lot like the "too big to fail" meme that kept big but sickly banks alive on the support of taxpayer-funded bailouts. In these cases, they call it, "Too big to jail."

"Shame on the Department of Justice. Shame on them," said Jimmy Gurulé, a former federal prosecutor who teaches law at the University of Notre Dame.

"These are actions that facilitated major international drug cartels to continue their operations," he said. "Now, if that doesn't justify criminal prosecution, I can't imagine a case that would."[/quote[/quote]

And this is surprising to you how? ...same as it ever was...
Time to create page: 0.71 seconds