• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder
Posts:16516

Re: BROKEN ARROW!!!

#220220 1 year, 7 months ago
wlewis wrote:
god bless the child with his own stash
a 9-5 and a place to crash


There is some truth to that.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
Posts:2042
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Re: BROKEN ARROW!!!

#220240 1 year, 7 months ago
patchmyfurthur wrote:
they busted out Blues For Allah too. That would be nice to catch at some Furthur shows.


BFA always seemed like a poor mans Dark Star to me. I think the reason some people do not like DJ is because of the message. Imagine all those people hearing the band they idolize telling them to get a job. ie; this life you are leading may not be the potential you should live up to. Personaly, I just saw it way tooooooo many times. And it appeared they would just phone it in. If it was only because the song sucks, well the throngs would have to include a bunch of others. Picasso moon, Easy Answers, Corrina, Victim, just to name a few. If DJ was dropped because the fans demanded it to be dropped, then why are these still played?
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
Posts:2042
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Re: BROKEN ARROW!!!

#220242 1 year, 7 months ago
wlewis wrote:
ill be having the last laugh during the encore on NYE

edit: i bet i could schmooze jill a little bit and convince her. boy she is a fox and a wonderful hostess phil you're a lucky man!


Lewie: I do not think the reaction would be that harsh. You did not see it 50 times. Now I will admit there must be some who hate it just because they hear so many other heads hate it. Band wagon mentality flurishes amongst heads.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
Posts:7401
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

Re: BROKEN ARROW!!!

#220243 1 year, 7 months ago
newyawker wrote:
patchmyfurthur wrote:
they busted out Blues For Allah too. That would be nice to catch at some Furthur shows.


BFA always seemed like a poor mans Dark Star to me. I think the reason some people do not like DJ is because of the message. Imagine all those people hearing the band they idolize telling them to get a job. ie; this life you are leading may not be the potential you should live up to. Personaly, I just saw it way tooooooo many times. And it appeared they would just phone it in. If it was only because the song sucks, well the throngs would have to include a bunch of others. Picasso moon, Easy Answers, Corrina, Victim, just to name a few. If DJ was dropped because the fans demanded it to be dropped, then why are these still played?


I have to disagree about Picasso Maybe Victim too. I'm sucker for that album
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
Posts:2042
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Re: BROKEN ARROW!!!

#220244 1 year, 7 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
newyawker wrote:
patchmyfurthur wrote:
they busted out Blues For Allah too. That would be nice to catch at some Furthur shows.


BFA always seemed like a poor mans Dark Star to me. I think the reason some people do not like DJ is because of the message. Imagine all those people hearing the band they idolize telling them to get a job. ie; this life you are leading may not be the potential you should live up to. Personaly, I just saw it way tooooooo many times. And it appeared they would just phone it in. If it was only because the song sucks, well the throngs would have to include a bunch of others. Picasso moon, Easy Answers, Corrina, Victim, just to name a few. If DJ was dropped because the fans demanded it to be dropped, then why are these still played?


I have to disagree about Picasso Maybe Victim too. I'm sucker for that album


DM, I will excuse your positive feelings towards those songs because of the altitude you live in!!!!!!
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
Posts:7401
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

Re: BROKEN ARROW!!!

#220245 1 year, 7 months ago


I like them at sea level too!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
wlewis
Platinum Boarder
Posts:6472

Re: BROKEN ARROW!!!

#220255 1 year, 7 months ago
yawker-blues for allah is a lot different than a dark star for me i can't compare them to say one is a cheap imitation of the other. the jazzed minset they had during the time the album and song were released were so important in the creation of the song. it's weird. it's hard to play. but it makes complete sense musically and provides that warm cozy feeling for me. it's different.

day job-you're right i didn't see it fifty times. those other songs you mention that denverman loves so much and me too to a certain extent, are not like day job. picasso moon is a complex song with instruments riding different wavelengths. day job is an easy rocker. like equinox said, those are best compared to chuck berry like tunes.

the other tunes are still played because they send messages they probably want fans to hear. day job lyrics are so truthful. i mean the truth hurts but there's no need to run from it.

edit: forgot to mention i met maggie at terrapin the other night!
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by wlewis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
Posts:2042
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Re: BROKEN ARROW!!!

#220259 1 year, 7 months ago
wlewis wrote:
yawker-blues for allah is a lot different than a dark star for me i can't compare them to say one is a cheap imitation of the other. the jazzed minset they had during the time the album and song were released were so important in the creation of the song. it's weird. it's hard to play. but it makes complete sense musically and provides that warm cozy feeling for me. it's different.

day job-you're right i didn't see it fifty times. those other songs you mention that denverman loves so much and me too to a certain extent, are not like day job. picasso moon is a complex song with instruments riding different wavelengths. day job is an easy rocker. like equinox said, those are best compared to chuck berry like tunes.

the other tunes are still played because they send messages they probably want fans to hear. day job lyrics are so truthful. i mean the truth hurts but there's no need to run from it.

edit: forgot to mention i met maggie at terrapin the other night!


I do agree Lewie. I was not insuating that my 50 times of hearing it gives me some badge of honor and the right to dismiss anything. I just got soooo sick of it. It let the air out of the sails many of times. The lyrics are truthful. And must have rubbed many the wrong way. It also gives me pleasure when I write "cheesy answers' when easy answers was played. What it boils down to for me is can I go a lifetime not hearing certain songs again. Those that I answer yes to, make my list.


Maggie told me she had a wonderful time. Thank you for being kind to a fellow newyawker!!!! She is a multi- faceted girl with excellent qualities that make her good company. I love her much and glad she found her way home back to Cali.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by newyawker.
Little Bear
Gold Boarder
Posts:1079
...they probably take care of themselves

Re: BROKEN ARROW!!!

#220264 1 year, 7 months ago
ablebaker wrote:
Guys! whats the opener for NYE? My vote Big River:)


Well, I will reiterate my yearly pat answer, by saying Day Job; but of course it will probably be Golden Road.
~God bless the Hampton Inn~ ~And You~
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1533

Re: BROKEN ARROW!!!

#220397 1 year, 7 months ago
newyawker wrote:
patchmyfurthur wrote:
they busted out Blues For Allah too. That would be nice to catch at some Furthur shows.


BFA always seemed like a poor mans Dark Star to me. I think the reason some people do not like DJ is because of the message. Imagine all those people hearing the band they idolize telling them to get a job. ie; this life you are leading may not be the potential you should live up to. Personaly, I just saw it way tooooooo many times. And it appeared they would just phone it in. If it was only because the song sucks, well the throngs would have to include a bunch of others. Picasso moon, Easy Answers, Corrina, Victim, just to name a few. If DJ was dropped because the fans demanded it to be dropped, then why are these still played?


"they would just phone it in"....LOL, now that's a good one. I concur heartily. The novelty of Day Job wore off quite quickly
back in the old days. In addition to all the other criticisms of that song, for me it was always like why are they playing this when there are so many songs they neglected to play in lieu of that one.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1533

Re: BROKEN ARROW!!!

#220399 1 year, 7 months ago
wlewis wrote:
i know i am a severe minority with this one but i would love it if furthur would play day job


As much as I'd be fine never hearing it again, I think for those who've never seen it performed, and especially for those
who never got to see the Grateful Dead it would be cool if Furthur dusted it off for a couple run throughs.
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder
Posts:294

Re: BROKEN ARROW!!!

#220405 1 year, 7 months ago
wlewis wrote:
so what is it about day job that bothers everybody? this will be a good one.


I'm not sure why so many people hated the song. It certainly was never my favorite, but I didn't despise it.

Check out this early Hunter version, he thought enough of the tune that he used to do a Day Job reprise!! Nice early version of Touch of Gray, and I always dig his versions of The 11 --> St Stephen:

archive.org/details/rh1980-11-12.sbd.18964.sbeok.shnf



This GD version from 83 aint so bad:
archive.org/details/gd83-10-08.fob-aud.willy.11734.sbeok.shnf
These are the good old days!!
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by BillyDeLion.
Time to create page: 1.04 seconds