• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

Rip David Brubeck

#219936 1 year, 4 months ago
Oneof the all time greats...set the "map" for tunes like Estimated with "odd" time signatures. Not surprised no one here has even mentioned his passing....he used to pass through Philly quite a bit and I was fortunate to catch him 3 times over the years.... a live taste for the more um "sophisticated" listener:

The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: Rip David Brubeck

#219939 1 year, 4 months ago
it's about fucking time, no pun intended

amen we can level down on something here.

they've been playing tons of brubeck on 91 jazz here in the bay area
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#219940 1 year, 4 months ago
Check this Kid..literally kid out....fin amazing... playing with brubeck... sick...

Kudos W....I thought out of all the posters here you may be one to know whom I was talking about. More to follow..
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#219942 1 year, 4 months ago
Psychedelic Music before the term was even coined....here the band plays on a magic carpet flying over an LA Freeway....
I'lm not gonna do all the work for ya.. "music lovers" certainly need to widen the horizens...and check him out more. Sadly its now to late to catch him ..hey he made 92 ..thats a pretty full life

The following user(s) said Thank You: lightchaser
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#219955 1 year, 4 months ago
Ok here's another classic...pour yourself a nice scotch or whiskey drink ...fire one up and be transported... HEADPHONES are highly reccomended...you'll "get it" when you hear it........

Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#219957 1 year, 4 months ago
One last one this evening......... anyone who appreciates "improv" or "Dark Star"........ owes a great thank you to David & these tunes... he didn't tickle the ivories...banged the shit outta of em.......... real "musicians"

lightchaser
Platinum Boarder

#219972 1 year, 4 months ago
Although it was mentioned in the "listening to now" thread, thanks for giving Mr Brubeck his own thread. Definitely a musical icon. Always wanted to hear an electric band do "Take Five" and "Blue Rondo" (along with 143 other Jazz comps). The 1st time I heard "Estimated" with its unusual time signature I thought of Dave Brubeck because during my formative years I was exposed to Jazz (thanks to WVSP) at the same time I was grooving to "Europe '72" and made the connection early on. I hope the noting of his passing exposes more people to his (and Paul Desmond's) contribution to music.
Thank You Cody, we are forever Grateful!
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#219981 1 year, 4 months ago
Light chaser no problem he more than deserves his own thread-- I admit I don't read the never ending threads-- my apologies to anyone who was "gettin down" to Brubeck the last few days. Between the Stones tour and football I somehow missed this sad news... my very bad............ anyway.. since you "get" where I was going & meaning of the thread "to try to expose more folks" to this great music...hell I'm gonna have to put up a tyner. jarrett... thread... anyway about 10 yrs later that "music" lead to young fellas playin stuff like this:

Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by Still Takin it Weirder.
lightchaser
Platinum Boarder

#219983 1 year, 4 months ago
So I guess you're into the piano players?
Thank You Cody, we are forever Grateful!
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#219993 1 year, 4 months ago
I'm into improv... live music...any instrument ..and if you listen closely..Hendrix is playin the "Brubeck" parts ....the drums and bass are killer but he's playing "off" them like Brubeck soloing ... as far as piano players no doubt...as far as R & R Nicky Hopkins game over..... wow its rare here to find someone with whom to speak "music" LOL who no offense to anyone has an idea of which they speak.. (((lightchaser!!!))))
Time to create page: 0.69 seconds