• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ablebaker
Senior Boarder

Lost Sailor and Victim Or The Crime

#218707 1 year, 9 months ago
These two songs seem to be ventures into a different genre for the Dead. I love both songs so much. I know the VOTC song was written partly by the guy that played BEEF in Phantom Of The Paradise. Weird, Huh? He was also a stuntman in major motion pictures. I think his name was Gerrit Graham. I remember hearing about how the audience at the first Victim Or THe Crime were kinda floored by the change up in style. Anyways, what do you guys think?
Everytime that wheel turn round
bound to cover just a little more ground
wharfrat71
Junior Boarder

Re: Lost Sailor and Victim Or The Crime

#218741 1 year, 9 months ago
Man, I love Victim or the Crime. It's some of Jerrys best roller coaster type scales that he does in that song. It peaks, then cools down, then peaks higher! Dark sounding chords; I happen to like hard rock/heavy metal so those dark tones sound great to me. If you don't like the subject matter, WAA WAA. Get tough. Lost Sailor rocks too!!!
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#218743 1 year, 9 months ago
I always felt Victim had the capacity to become the Playin' in the Band for the 80s and 90s; a real jam conduit. It sort of did, but mostly did not. I continue to be surprised by the vitriol for this song. I mean, I get it, but I also do not. I know someone will come along and quote lyrics and apply them to Jerry and make it about insensitivity and the social faux paus. People hate this song. Many people thought this song was a divebomber downer. Conversations about this song almost always go south.

some favorites:
gd89-07-15.sbd.miller.97307.sbeok.flac16 (nice Candyman. Second set is a beauty. Foolish and Victim are solid, but they drop it into OD with Crazy Fingers; great Crazy Fingers > good Truckin' for the time > great Smokestack)

gd90-07-19.sbd.walker-scotton.miller.95783.sbeok.flac16 (great sound; heavy on Phil, and Brent is on fire; sharply played first set with a great They Love Each Other, Row Jimmy*, Althea; destructive segue from Victim into Foolish Heart)

gd91-03-21.sbd.miller.87289.sbeok.flac16 (18-minute, good Birdsong; very nice Victim or the Crime with great Brent stuff and with some massive distortion near the end)
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
gratefuldude1963
Junior Boarder
grateful 4 furthur

#218754 1 year, 9 months ago
another great victim was 7-12-90 rfk washington dc. crazy rain. jerry and phil were both on fire that night. whole show is great but victim and let the good times roll opener were smokin'
it's all a dream we dreamed one afternoon long ago
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds