• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

Bob Weir hates tie dye!

#217477 1 year, 8 months ago
you heard it from the man himself tonight, well last night now - he hates them but he was responsible for them

classic Q&A session from TRI last night equipped with some insight on the wall of sound, and many other crazy topics. I hope he's a guest again next week for the Q&A but maybe not with Jackie there.

hilarious stuff
facebeenstolen
Junior Boarder

Re: Bob Weir hates tie dye!

#217487 1 year, 8 months ago
did he state his admiration for cut off shorts? haha
The following user(s) said Thank You: funky420
stricken
Gold Boarder

#217493 1 year, 8 months ago
I know you are repeating what bob said but bob must think that he was somehow responsible for the tie dye.

Truth is he's wrong, tie dyes have been around since 500 to800 A.D. in puru. Also shibori a type of dyeing from japan and Indonesia is dated to the 8th century.

Tie dyeing has been dated to 1909 in the USA.

Hausa a type of dyeing has been linked to the hippie movement and maybe this is were bob and the friend that made those dyes is what he is thinking of.
Hausa is a region of west africa.
ALL facts come from Wikipedia
teafortexas
Expert Boarder
Dancin on a pin

#217514 1 year, 8 months ago
He may hate tie dyes, but he sure does love shortie-shorts and pink axes:
Everybody is either making love...Or else expecting rain
stricken
Gold Boarder

#217521 1 year, 8 months ago
And maybe cant wait till setbreak.
Attachments:
stricken
Gold Boarder

#217524 1 year, 8 months ago
Phil was soon after spotted sporting this hat
Attachments:
It All Rolls Into One
Junior Boarder

#217528 1 year, 8 months ago
Yeah I remember him saying that, too, but he seemed to get a little off topic and not really explain how he was responsible for tied-dye except that he pick up Jackson Pollock's nephew and gave him a place to stay? And then they started talking about the wall of sound haha. I thought it was kinda funny how his stories tend to jump around a bit sometimes.
Blues_Power
Senior Boarder
in the world, but not of the world

#217531 1 year, 8 months ago
....and don't forget about Bobby's affinity for pink Izod shirts as well.

the latest new year's rumor is that Bob will dawn the short shorts and the pink Izod for the midnight countdown. oh my!
We will all be together for ever and ever when we make it to the promised land
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#217546 1 year, 8 months ago
A few years ago I remember Bob stating that tie dyes were to "loud" for his own personal tastes. How this has morphed into hate is beyond me. If Al Gore invented the internet, then I guess Bob can take credit for inventing the tie dye. But to then turn on it and hate his own invention? This falls under the catagory of overcompensation.
Now to adress some other pressing clothing style concerns. Phil used to always wear the coolest tee shirts. Lately he has been wearing button down office type shirts. I'm not sure if this has any effect on the music, but what's up with this anyways?
Between Bobs outfits and Phils dress down shirts, I think that Furthur needs to hire a clothing designer. First impressions are important. What would someone think if they never saw the band b4 and are now confronted with currenct Furthur Fashion.
I would vote for going back to the masks worn on the 1972 European tour, but my knowledge of contemporary fashion may be somewhat lacking. During the Watkins Glen show in 1973, Phil wore an Eat A Peach tee. To me that was way cool.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#217547 1 year, 8 months ago
stricken wrote:
I know you are repeating what bob said but bob must think that he was somehow responsible for the tie dye.

Truth is he's wrong, tie dyes have been around since 500 to800 A.D. in puru. Also shibori a type of dyeing from japan and Indonesia is dated to the 8th century.

Tie dyeing has been dated to 1909 in the USA.

Hausa a type of dyeing has been linked to the hippie movement and maybe this is were bob and the friend that made those dyes is what he is thinking of.
Hausa is a region of west africa.
ALL facts come from Wikipedia

i think he meant he was responsible for them becoming popular within the Dead.... that's how I took it
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds