• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
lightchaser
Platinum Boarder

Re: Mick Taylor, Bill Wyman, Jeff Beck, Mary J Blige

#216495 1 year, 4 months ago
I also think Roy B would have been a nice fit, maybe more so than Jeff B. Woulda loved either, but I very strongly agree that Mick Taylor was the natural born fit for the Stones. See "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones" doc of the 72 tour. Boy Wonder on the guitar! Seen most of the Stones tours since 75 (where I was close enough that when Jagger swung out over the crowd on the rope he went behind me) and will be seeing this tour for sure. Mary J doing vocals on Gimme Shelter?
Thank You Cody, we are forever Grateful!
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#216510 1 year, 4 months ago
Yes, they were amazing with Mick Taylor. From what I'm hearing he won't be at the NY area shows but I'd rather have him and Bill Wyman than Beck, Clapton and pretty much anybody else.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#216545 1 year, 4 months ago
Equinox wrote:
Yes, they were amazing with Mick Taylor. From what I'm hearing he won't be at the NY area shows but I'd rather have him and Bill Wyman than Beck, Clapton and pretty much anybody else.

Well put plus 1,000...that said remember the Atlantic City pay per view from 89 ??? Clapton & john Lee Hooker guesting..
it seems strange to tyoe Bill Wyma guesting with the Stones... guess thats another sign of aging --if you saw Bill Wyman play with the Stones you're gettin old
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#216546 1 year, 4 months ago
Here it is Clapton & John lee Hooker
BTW Equinox I'm jealous as hell that your doing 2. I am holding out hope (its a longshot) of making 1 of the
2 Newark shows

Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#216561 1 year, 4 months ago
I do remember the PPV quite well. Unfortunately, I wasn't there.

Good luck with Newark. There is a show in Brooklyn on 12/8 that I believe you can still find tickets for.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by Equinox.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#216565 1 year, 4 months ago
Can't make Brooklyn dammit... I wasn't at this ac show either dammit. On another note 89 was the greatest year to see live shows....Besides the Stones tour ( I caught the opening Philly gig 1st show in 8 years - from the tenth row for free dead center- got tix from a Stones roadie.... long story ), the Who toured, and The Grateful Dead were on fire. Caught multiples of the first 2 ( Wymans last tour & the Who still with entwhistle) ... and tons of GD including the 3 Alpines "Downhill from here" shows. Gone are the daze....
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#216571 1 year, 4 months ago
I was at the second night in Philly. Didn't have a great seat. It was in the years before I got really serious about touring with the Stones. In '94 I saw both Philly shows and walked away wishing i could see more. Of course most of my money and time were devoted to the Dead. After that, though, I've averaged about eight shows per Stones tour
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
deadegad
Expert Boarder

#216574 1 year, 4 months ago
The trouble with the Stones is that Keith insists on playing lead guitar when he is not up to it and Ron was often too drunk when he played lead. The result: Train Wreck!

I have seen them many time and when Ron was sober and focused and played lead and Keith stuck to rhythm they sounded very good. Keith has, however, forced Ronnie to the backseat.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#216581 1 year, 4 months ago
Yes, I agree that Ronnie has taken something of a backseat to Keith. It's a shame because he's an amazing guitarist. He did a solo show in AC in April that was really out of this world. Nonetheless, there are times when he and Keith totally sync up and the effect is really powerful. Check out the Shine A Light film. They were both really on that night.

And Keith can be a pretty strong lead guitarist. Most of the leads on Beggar's Banquet and Let It Bleed are his.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#216683 1 year, 4 months ago
Set list thus far.....

1-Wanna be your man
2-Get of off my cloud
3-It's All Over Now
4-Paint It Black
5-Gimme Shelter (Mary J. Blige on vocals)
6-Wild Horses
7-All Down The Line
8-Going Down (Beck)
9-Out Of Control
10-One more shot
11-Doom and gloom
12-It's only rock n' roll (Wyman)
13-Honky Tonk Woman (Wyman) (Lisa Fischer)
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Time to create page: 1.12 seconds