Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Here we go--haters step inside

#216414 1 year, 8 months ago
Ok I'll shut up now. (applause) to me the best post jerry band
1.98 OO
2. 2002 other ones
3. Furthur
4. 2000 other ones ( and I will add these shows got a bad rap-- I thoughly enjoyed the shows I caught).

( I'm not rating Ratdog or PLF because neither to me falls into a post GD attempt category -- they both do an entirely different sonic thing).
The following user(s) said Thank You: patchmyfurthur
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#216418 1 year, 8 months ago
zeno you were right on about the Horn (Dave Elllis) have been cherry pickin a lil here & there... I forgot he was on that 98 tour... I liked him with Ratdog...I guess they got him to help differetiate the band from the gd (just a guess) I think they had it covered with Kimock & Karan.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#216420 1 year, 8 months ago
I cannot stand the alto sax. One of the worst sounds. Period. Especially horrid in rock music (with a very rare exception). I don't mind it as much in free jazz when there is an industrial element to the make-up, ie Peter Brotzmann and sometimes Paul Dunmall. Albert Ayler was lyrical like JGarcia, but he is also an exception in many ways. (he didn't play the alto)

Someone on the LL board once said that the alto sax cuts through the same air and spectrum as the guitar. I agree, but even if I didn't, it's still a fucking ugly sounding thing in its own right. It gets in the way of the primary, and the inferior should never do that.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by ZenoMarx.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#216439 1 year, 8 months ago
OK -- upon furtur listening the sax works on some tunes and on others not. The raging Sugar Mag from 7/9/98 after one loud blast really fits in nicely......Shakedown same show for the most part... although in general I don't think it is the sax as much as the player...on alot of tunes "he just overplays his part" ..just to reiterate after 3 yrs of no gd "band" alot of tunes we never thought we'd here again... and for those on the bus for many many years hearing St Stephen & the Eleven Live for the first time (amongst others) was about as good as nirvana like as you could get without Jerry. Roll in all the emotion of seeing the guys together again & all the emotions shared communally over the moving on without Jerry (not to mention people we had seen every year over the course of all seasons for decades plus..and hadn't seen in 3 years)...made this tour (OO98)ultra unique and special.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#216443 1 year, 8 months ago
spring mountain high wrote:
never ever been a fan of the two-keyboard lineup...2nd set of keys is superfluous

herring's a fine fine player, but i like him better in the allmans...my favorite allmans lineup to see live was herring and derek

I'm not disputing the way your mind/ears processed the sound of two keyboards in the Other Ones, but I think two keyboards worked very well in the Band. Having someone who is an accomplished piano player and someone who can handle all the other keyboards, and have each do so as their specialty, worked very well.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder

#216476 1 year, 8 months ago
Still Takin it Weirder wrote:
Lots a good comments here-- I was thoroughly expecting flames from some haters.
haters, and derivatives thereof, has to be one of the stupidest and lazy colloquialisms in our present day lexicon.

I wasn't going to ask this, but I'm losing the fight to deny myself. What's the purpose of your threads and posts? To antagonize? To incite conversation? Both? Neither? I obviously like the subjects and angles of your questions and opinions, but the adolescent poking tone seems unnecessary. It's like you want to wake the sleeping bear, so you're standing there with a loaded gun for when you're successful. I guess I don't get it, but I'd like to understand why this particular approach, over and over again. Would you care to explain?

And if it is just a matter of you bracing yourself (protecting yourself with anticipation), then why not just state your opinions confidently and strongly and let them stand on their own? I think they could. They don't need the playground angle. If anything, it undermines what you're trying to express. But maybe I'm not understanding your scheme. I'm genuinely curious.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#216481 1 year, 8 months ago
Since you asked I'll answer. Because this board is filled with further "fluffers" ( every show is the greatest ..every set list is awesome) whenever I post anything deemed "not worthy"or not to the company line, or a stating what I know is an unpopular opinion amongst the Furthur is the greatest band ever crowd, I get called a troll, don't get the music...... I really think these folks don't know the meaning of troll. By inviting their flames I am letting them know I could really give 2 shits. Flame away. I will not revisit the whole history but if you poke around you will find I never throw a stone at anyone who doesn't throw one at me first. Some here take this little message board way to seriously and spend their entire lives on here 24/7. Sad really. I express my opinions --if you don't like them post an intelligent rebuttal... unfortunately there has yet to be one. They amuse the shit out of me for reallz.. it is like a lil playground clique..and since I dared challenge one of the "popular" kids when attacked first ( even though the person was clearly in the wrong to anyone with reading comprehension) ... they shun me or call me troll or I just don't get the music .................LOLOLOLOL.. hope that clears it up.. anyone wanting to have a serious musical conversation I welcome. One of the reasons I made this thread is I am trying to expose a wider range of deadom to these folks.... who seem to believe There was the Grateful dead.. and then Further...sorry but there was 15 yrs of some great music played from 1995/96 to 2009 when furthur started. That is all. Rock on.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder

#216483 1 year, 8 months ago
Thanks. Still feel it might be unnecessary, but I get it. Message boards are really interesting little microcosms.

Still Takin it Weirder wrote:
One of the reasons I made this thread is I am trying to expose a wider range of deadom to these folks.... who seem to believe There was the Grateful dead.. and then Further...sorry but there was 15 yrs of some great music played from 1995/96 to 2009 when furthur started. That is all. Rock on.
I've found this over and over again with music boards and with the pockets of whatever genre of fans. Pick a type of music. Find an online community for it, and you'll see it there, too. I don't know if it is the natural generational cycle, the speed of information now, the ever-lessening attention span (skewed time), or what. There's a lot of warping of history and twisting of time. You're either entirely retro or here/now. Maybe that represents how we're a culture of extremes? I hope there are some sociologists out there studying trends like this. I'm sure there are. There must be. People like to think of something as theirs and make it part of their home. The rest tends to get shoveled aside, misunderstood, and is of little interest. By choice? By design? By accident? Capacity to be able to relate to things is finite? I'm interested in a lot of different musics, most not relating to each other, and this odd sense of history and interest is one of the consistencies. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I do know it makes for some really weird conversations.
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds