• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

Phil and Friends East Run

#215952 1 year, 11 months ago
So FFF what do you think? I can't get enough of these recent recordings of these shows.

Love the mix Jackie and John bring by both being up there. Also Adam Macdougall added some layers to the keys licks that like it or hate it is different then Jeff's familar tickles. I would like to hear him join Phil more often to explore how his Freak Funk can add to the Dead vibe.

*and lets keep this simple, no need to try and convert each others musical pallets. What did you like? what didn't you like?

For me the only complaint is that these shows were out east and not in my back yard
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
Chester
More or less in line

Re: Phil and Friends East Run

#215961 1 year, 11 months ago
I should have gone to at least a few of those. Sometimes those things just don't work out. But it sure was nice,
to have such high quality streams. And the recordings are even better. I was really impressed by what Stanley
Jordan brought to the sound. 11/11 was a highlight, because of the interactions between Stanley and Jeff. Great
stuff, for sure. But I have to give some serious respect to Adam too. At first, unusual, and different, his sound
quickly blended in, and supported the jams in ways I haven't heard. Perfect for Dark star, Other one, type songs,
and the spacy jams inbetween. It was familiar, yet different enough, to really spark some renewed interest.
I got a big kick out of these shows!
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nycdave
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#215998 1 year, 11 months ago
I went to the NJ and Portchester shows and wish I had arranged to go to the NYC shows - at the time they went on sale I had no idea what to expect. After the first NJ show I realized that I wanted to go to all of them. I love Furthur and they have gotten very very good, but with age and experience comes less spontaneity to a certain degree. These shows were very fresh and new; Jackie added a lot to the energy and challenged JK to play a little out of his comfort zone (faster and more rockin). I can't emphasize enough how much Jackie added. The first and third NJ shows were amazing. The Wake of the Flood first set was a highlight for me. Jackie kept ratcheting up the energy to where it was off the scale; he was a lot more dominating at these shows. Jason Crosby joining the third night was the second highlight. He came out, totally unassuming and did a really good job jamming with them. I usually dread special guests because they often detract from the jamming, but this guy really fit in well and seemed to be having a really fun time. The last two Portchester shows were also excellent. The last night obviously had the awesome second set but I actually thought the night before was the best of the run. The Capitol theater is also a really neat little venue. The only thing I would add about the Portchester shows is that while I enjoyed Adam to some degree, I missed Jeff the whole time. He, like Jackie, adds an enormous amount to the energy which Adam did not, in my opinion...

The smaller venues also made for a more enjoyable set of shows...

As an aside, I only listened to the streams of NYC, so I might have a different opinion if I had been there, but Stanley didn't do a lot for me in general. I thought those shows had too many people trying to play.
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by rippleish20.
mcolleen
Junior Boarder
You are the song that the morning brings

#216005 1 year, 11 months ago
I was lucky enough to have caught two: Friday @the Wellmont & Saturday @ the Capitol. Friday's show was ROCKING & the energy that everyone had made it one of the best shows I've been to in awhile. Wharf Rat was amazing. I loved how experimental they were & the intimacy of the small venues is always great. Saturday's show was fun-Jackie rocked Sugaree & Revolution is always a treat for me. Fun until some knucklehead dosed our poor friend, (who hasnt tripped in 30 years for a reason) who ended up getting kicked out in lieu of being arrested...

I'm already looking forward to a February Broomfield run
"The breeze would pause to listen in"
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#216008 1 year, 11 months ago
I was fortunate to catch the entire run. I was only going to go to 2 of the 4 Port Chester shows, but after I saw how much fun this band was, and after finding out that the Port Chester train station was a block away from the venue and that there was a late night train back, I was all in. A few notes. Jackie brought so much energy. It became contagious. It is hard to compare Jeff to anyone. That being said, Adam MacDougal brought a whole different texture and sound. It was fun hearing two different approaches to the material. A friend of mine observed that with Adam, the band had a sound texture comparable to the Jerry Garcia Band. Jason Crosby was a treat, fitting in well and adding so much to the music. As for Stanley Jordan, words or adjectives fail me here. He is a brilliant guitarist with big ears. He was careful not to step on anyone, to work with all of the other musicians. I knew he could handle the jazz and spacey stuff (see the first night), however I was wondering if he could rock and roll. On the second night, when he came out in set 1 and played the whole show, he answered any concerns I might have had about his ability to rock. This guy can flat out play. Phil and the rest of the band seemed so happy to have him there. IMHO he added so much. This band was so good that even when they played material that I wasn't crazy about, or repeated stuff, it didn't matter. It wasn't what they were playing, it was the way thery were playing it. The energy on the last night was all there, then some. The whole tour was all there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mcolleen
i_be_sublime
Expert Boarder
R.I.P.JERRY

#216259 1 year, 11 months ago
I enjoyed the 3 at the wellmont.They were far better than the last couple furthur shows i saw just due to the energy i believe.The vibe was awesome and they flat out played the first night at the wellmont was fucking fantabulous!!!Jeff chimenti is in my opinion the greatest or 1 of the top 3 pianist on the planet.Did nt really enjoy the other guest besides jackie to be honest with you.thought adam was well a fill in.stanley jordan was o.k. have to give him another listen to be honest.VBut overall i had alot more fun at these shows then i have in awhile.Having said that i will repeat what i have said before i might have just been furthured out if there is such a thing.Thought phil was more energetic and had alot more fun smiling and joking around and was more animated than i had seen in along time.Overall was a+ shows and alot of funnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!wake of the flood!
i_be_sublime
Expert Boarder
R.I.P.JERRY

#216260 1 year, 11 months ago
mcolleen wrote:
I was lucky enough to have caught two: Friday @the Wellmont & Saturday @ the Capitol. Friday's show was ROCKING & the energy that everyone had made it one of the best shows I've been to in awhile. Wharf Rat was amazing. I loved how experimental they were & the intimacy of the small venues is always great. Saturday's show was fun-Jackie rocked Sugaree & Revolution is always a treat for me. Fun until some knucklehead dosed our poor friend, (who hasnt tripped in 30 years for a reason) who ended up getting kicked out in lieu of being arrested...

Thats bs if ya wanna trip ya wanna trip but should never be forced to or surprised with it.Now there are certain times and certain friends of mine that i would almost be afraid of what they would do to me out of fun lol but they know i have no health problems and am well experienced with it.Feel so sorry for your friend! My condolences and they did the right thing taking the ejection and avoiding the law.Sorry to hear it though is a shitty time when all of a sudden your like wtf i did nt take anything why is this happening type deal.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#216388 1 year, 11 months ago
mcolleen wrote:

Me too! I'll see you out there, Colleen!!!!
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds