• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

Re: New article on the Grateful Dead in the New Yorker

#216932 1 year, 11 months ago
I don't want to belabor this. I've said my piece. Some good information, lots of retread and I think NP is a headier than thou tool who never really got it. This article has some old quotes, I'm thinking his editor said get that fucking thing done.

It bothers me when he says about Garcia:

"They were generally without sex appeal. Bob Weir, their showman and heartthrob, might be said to be an exception, but he spent much of the eighties performing in short cutoff jean shorts and lavender tank tops—a sight even more troubling, I’d submit, than that of Garcia circa 1984, drooling on his microphone as he fought off the nods."

Does this characterization bother no one else: " Most objectionable, perhaps, were the Deadheads, that travelling gang of phony vagabonds."

Certainly a number of wookies fit in that category. Does Nick not consider himself a deadhead?

I could go on with my disdain for this article....

Apparently I'm not alone Seems like Nick P. misquoted Rob Eaton, according to bandmate Rob Baracco who was in the room during the interview.

From DSO Forum.

View Postrbarraco, on 19 November 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:
I have to say, I was a fly on the wall during this interview. That guy that wrote the article is a hater. Eaton did not say that. He took everything out of context. What a bunch of horse shit. RB
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#216934 1 year, 11 months ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
Apparently I'm not alone Seems like Nick P. misquoted Rob Eaton, according to bandmate Rob Baracco who was in the room during the interview.

From DSO Forum.

I have to say, I was a fly on the wall during this interview. That guy that wrote the article is a hater. Eaton did not say that. He took everything out of context. What a bunch of horse shit. RB
teafortexas mentions this Baracco quote on pg1 (not being snarky here, just letting you know the Eaton quote wasn't taken as truth).
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terrapin Sedation
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#216982 1 year, 11 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
Terrapin Sedation wrote:

From DSO Forum.

teafortexas mentions this Baracco quote on pg1 (not being snarky here, just letting you know the Eaton quote wasn't taken as truth).

As I get on in years I become more and more skeptical about the media in general. This article seemed like it was trying to be a lot of things to a lot of people. The author praises, yet disses the band and us, the fans. So his article has some appeal to us, yet it also appeals to those who would nod in agreement with his less than flattering descriptions of us and the band, to those who never got "it".

Gees, I never once thought my travels were on the level of Kerouac's, despite having thumbed it great distances to some shows.

Unfortunately many will read this piece, published in a prestigious publication like the New Yorker, and just figure it's all true.
Oh well, we continue to remain this curiosity in American culture, certainly as misunderstood as ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terrapin Sedation
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds