dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

Re: New article on the Grateful Dead in the New Yorker

#216547 1 year, 4 months ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
Here's Nick's Picks

www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2...dead-recordings.html

His 13 favorite hidden gem Dead recordings.

Some very worthy ones indeed. But nothing after 1985.....

He says so himself:

"So here, in chronological order, one per year—excluding a few years, as well as anything after 1986 (post-coma was fun for a while but doesn’t hold up on tape, to my ears)—is a baker’s dozen: my thirteen essential, commercially ignored—some desert-island Dead."

We can argue about the 90s but did this guy miss 87-91?

Conclusion: Headier than thou deadhead snob

But even Phil says that he noticed a difference in Jerry's playing post coma "less fluent" I believe he said...
Seldom turns out the way it does in a song
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#216548 1 year, 4 months ago
^^^^^^ Doesn't mean you write off the whole decade....

By that rationale NP should have made the cut at post heroin-addiction line, when Weir said he was carrying Jerry like a rented mule.
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by Terrapin Sedation.
deadegad
Gold Boarder

#216560 1 year, 4 months ago
I would like to see the core four with Chimenti, JK, andd -- Russo!

Just think of a three man drum-percussion freight train?!?! The Allmans have it.

I like Warren but barring the above scenario, I want to see Furthur continue because IMHO it is the best we have got sing JG went on to next gig/dimension.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#216618 1 year, 4 months ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
And another issue...No mention of Charlie Miller. How do you write a 12,000 word article on archiving the dead without mentioning Charlie Miller.
Maybe he did contact CM, and CM asked to not be included. CM is a pretty low-key guy, and he didn't get access like he does by being the standing stake. In other words, there's more fruit by laying low. From what I've seen, and I don't want to speak for CM, he prefers keeping out of the spotlight. I admire him for that. His work speaks for itself.

"The stake that sticks up gets hammered down"

EDIT: and I think if you mention CM, you open up a whole other article. There's Kaplan, bertha-ashley, serafin, and so many other people post-GD that took part in digitizing, cleaning, restoring, etc. And then the LMA, closing of the SBDs, opening of trackers, and so on. It's a whole other issue than anything he discussed in this article. And to be honest, I'm glad this isn't something someone is writing about in the NYT. I don't really want to see it written about anywhere, at least not for the time being. The less attention, the better.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?

It's dead and over when close enough is good enough.
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by ZenoMarx.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#216709 1 year, 4 months ago
^^^^^ You don't need a guy's permission to name him, especially when he puts stuff on a public site.

In an article that was about taping, dispensing and archiving the GD in which you rightly spend the space to mention LMA and the dead concerts on there, and the reviews, and the number of downloads this concert got and that one didn't, and then you don't mention CM ---- this editor said you missed something.

Charlie is the go to ....
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#216712 1 year, 4 months ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
Charlie is the go to ....
Now, he is, but he wasn't always. That's why it would be opening up a huge, other topic. There were many, many other people before him doing the same thing, anchoring the process. The writer was relatively thorough, so to also inject that into the piece, and to do it any justice, he was obligating himself to something that deserves its own chapter. It was a smart move to not go there at all.

I don't believe CM has ever been employed by the GD or Rhino. Everyone else in that piece, at least to my knowledge, had been employed by the band or label. That may have been the dividing line as well
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?

It's dead and over when close enough is good enough.
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

#216764 1 year, 4 months ago
The author of this article, Nick Paumgarten will be on Tales from the Golden Road next Sunday on Sirius/XM. The show starts at 4 PM EST and it is your opportunity to call in and comment on the article or ask questions.
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#216847 1 year, 4 months ago
My take on this article is someone who both praises the Grateful Dead, yet can't resist the generalizations that will inevitably diminish their legacy in the minds of the uninitiated.

I thought when John K left DSO he did so with the blessing of his former band mates for the opportunity he was given to move up a few rungs in the musical world. DSO does not seem to be hurting in his absence. I've seen them once, and whilst they provide many with a good time, they're not for me.

A pretty good article. The best thing I came away with from reading it was Phil's quote, which I thought profound. "perhaps it was just too good to last"

Two bit piece don't buy no more, not so much as it done before.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin, Terrapin Sedation
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#216848 1 year, 4 months ago
Thanks for sharing the link to that, Jared
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaredlang
Genshu
Junior Boarder

#216897 1 year, 4 months ago
goodness what a wonderful article. learned a good bit of GD history. i cant believe how much i love the grateful dead.
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds