• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
teafortexas
Expert Boarder
Dancin on a pin

Re: New article on the Grateful Dead in the New Yorker

#215745 1 year, 10 months ago
Eaton is a big boy and and can certainly defend himself. That said, here is a recent quote from Barraco regarding the supposed comments from Eaton:

"I have to say, I was a fly on the wall during this interview. That guy that wrote the article is a hater. Eaton did not say that. He took everything out of context. What a bunch of horse shit. RB"

While this may be true, Eaton has got to remember that nothing is off the record anymore. Any professional courtesy that existed in the journalism game has long-since vanished.
Everybody is either making love...Or else expecting rain
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#215748 1 year, 10 months ago
teafortexas wrote:
Eaton is a big boy and and can certainly defend himself. That said, here is a recent quote from Barraco regarding the supposed comments from Eaton:

"I have to say, I was a fly on the wall during this interview. That guy that wrote the article is a hater. Eaton did not say that. He took everything out of context. What a bunch of horse shit. RB"

While this may be true, Eaton has got to remember that nothing is off the record anymore. Any professional courtesy that existed in the journalism game has long-since vanished.
Doesn't sound like it has anything to do with watching what you say or off/on the record. It was straight-up manipulation. You cannot combat that short of not participating.

This article has been posted in every GD area I read (I don't read dead.net, so maybe it is a hotbed for this), and so far, this forum is the only one to take issue with Eaton's part of the story. I don't know why I find that interesting. It was an aggressive, unfriendly quote.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#215762 1 year, 10 months ago
Insightful comments from Phil.

Nice piece in general. Yet another attempt to name the unameable.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#215769 1 year, 10 months ago
Just imagine the backlash that would occur if the core 4, Chimenti, and John K were "The Dead."
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

#215775 1 year, 10 months ago
patchmyfurthur wrote:
Just imagine the backlash that would occur if the core 4, Chimenti, and John K were "The Dead."

I can't see why people would take issue with that. Chimenti has been in The Dead already without any backlash, so essentially if you had that line up with JK instead of Warren, it can feasibly be called the Dead without offending me.
Calling them The Grateful Dead however would be quite sacrilegious, and just wrong.
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#215776 1 year, 10 months ago
I just meant that in jest, because of the whole apparent bitterness of members of DSO towards John K playing in Furthur.
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#216531 1 year, 10 months ago
I find it difficult to believe Rob Eaton said: "I think one of the reasons Phil and Bob took John is that they wanted to get rid of us- their nemesis, this little gnat they can't catch, but we're not going away".

I have heard this theory before but thought it was a antenna hat conspiracy theory wheelman style. I know Rob B headband says that "he didn't say that" and the writer had his own agenda(narrative) and he may have used the quotes to furthur his story line but the quote is right there in the prestigeous New Yorker. I say he may have been manipulated but he crossed the line. How awkward is this, the interview was a year ago, Phil just sat in with DSO and Rob B is sitting in with Phil at Terrapin in Dec. I still like DSO and am going to see them on Fri at 930 club in DC and can't wait because its really all about creating great music but still...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#216538 1 year, 10 months ago
The idea that a member of DSO would think that DSO playes GD better then a band with two original members of the band is just plain weird. That he would be upset that John K would play with Phil and Bob, instead of DSO also shows a lack of class. The "proper" thing to do would be to congradulate him. His reaction to events seems to show a need for attitude adjusment. It is possible that the writer of the New Yorker article exagerated things to make the article seem more interesting. In any case both DSO and Furthur should be judged by how they sound, not by stupid and petty things that are allegedly said by members.
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by nycdave. Reason: JUST BECAUSE
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#216542 1 year, 10 months ago
Blues_Power wrote:
Still Takin it Weirder wrote:
Really good article, I knew most of the info but damn... is Rob Eaton bitter!

Eaton and the others in D.S.O., though professedly happier playing with Mattson, are also bitter over Kadlecik’s departure. “I haven’t gone to see Furthur,” Eaton said. “It’s like going to see your ex-girlfriend fucking your best friend.” Eaton, who is fifty-one and grew up in Vermont, treats the band (or its remnants) that has given him a living, a body of work, a style, and some measure of transcendence as a kind of adversary. “If you want to get off, you come see us,” he said. “We have a bigger repertoire than the Dead ever had, at any one time.” They have the whole career in rotation. “We’re showing the kids what it was like.”

Someone has a lil ego problem just sayin.

i know nothing about Rob Eaton and almost nothing about DSO... but yes, based on that quote he comes across as very bitter. to tout your GD cover band by saying that you have a bigger repertior than the GD ever had and claim that you're showing the kids what it was like is in very bad taste. Rob might want to wait until all the original members of the GD leave this earth to start talking smack like that.

i've just been given one more reason not to go see DSO. i've never seen them and won't be buying tickets anytime soon.

Your loss..... if you like to dance and enjoyed the energy of the GD, they are fun fun fun and half of the reason is because "the kids" who didn't get a chance to see it are having a ball.... including mine. ... please don't judge the band or Eaton by one quote.

There is much to like about this story but my impression is that Nick Paumgarten pulled together quotes from interviews done more than a year apart from each other to write this story as if it were in the current context....which ain't exactly kosher.

Another problem I have is his "tapers are more pure deadheads because they appreciate the music more than the lot crowd," take.

And another issue...No mention of Charlie Miller. How do you write a 12,000 word article on archiving the dead without mentioning Charlie Miller.

And not to mention Scar>Fire....... Scar>Fire ...really? He and his boys at St. Paul's Prep School (the type he later makes fun of) might have called it that. But no one I know of did. Know wonder Lesh looked at him odd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: patchmyfurthur
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#216543 1 year, 10 months ago
Here's Nick's Picks

www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2...dead-recordings.html

His 13 favorite hidden gem Dead recordings.

Some very worthy ones indeed. But nothing after 1985.....

He says so himself:

"So here, in chronological order, one per year—excluding a few years, as well as anything after 1986 (post-coma was fun for a while but doesn’t hold up on tape, to my ears)—is a baker’s dozen: my thirteen essential, commercially ignored—some desert-island Dead."

We can argue about the 90s but did this guy miss 87-91?

Conclusion: Headier than thou deadhead snob
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by Terrapin Sedation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: patchmyfurthur
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds