• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

New article on the Grateful Dead in the New Yorker

#215540 1 year, 11 months ago
Very interesting and well written article.
www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/11/26/1...&currentPage=all
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, gvanman, skidoo, Bilbo, kevin, 23atwell, Bacon Rocks
Chester
More or less in line

Re: New article on the Grateful Dead in the New Yorker

#215565 1 year, 11 months ago
Cool article. I can't believe all those tapes were allowed to deteriorate so much. Imagine if you bought those.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#215584 1 year, 11 months ago
Really good article, I knew most of the info but damn... is Rob Eaton bitter!

Eaton and the others in D.S.O., though professedly happier playing with Mattson, are also bitter over Kadlecik’s departure. “I haven’t gone to see Furthur,” Eaton said. “It’s like going to see your ex-girlfriend fucking your best friend.” Eaton, who is fifty-one and grew up in Vermont, treats the band (or its remnants) that has given him a living, a body of work, a style, and some measure of transcendence as a kind of adversary. “If you want to get off, you come see us,” he said. “We have a bigger repertoire than the Dead ever had, at any one time.” They have the whole career in rotation. “We’re showing the kids what it was like.”

Someone has a lil ego problem just sayin.
Blues_Power
Senior Boarder
in the world, but not of the world

#215603 1 year, 11 months ago
Still Takin it Weirder wrote:
Really good article, I knew most of the info but damn... is Rob Eaton bitter!

Eaton and the others in D.S.O., though professedly happier playing with Mattson, are also bitter over Kadlecik’s departure. “I haven’t gone to see Furthur,” Eaton said. “It’s like going to see your ex-girlfriend fucking your best friend.” Eaton, who is fifty-one and grew up in Vermont, treats the band (or its remnants) that has given him a living, a body of work, a style, and some measure of transcendence as a kind of adversary. “If you want to get off, you come see us,” he said. “We have a bigger repertoire than the Dead ever had, at any one time.” They have the whole career in rotation. “We’re showing the kids what it was like.”

Someone has a lil ego problem just sayin.

i know nothing about Rob Eaton and almost nothing about DSO... but yes, based on that quote he comes across as very bitter. to tout your GD cover band by saying that you have a bigger repertior than the GD ever had and claim that you're showing the kids what it was like is in very bad taste. Rob might want to wait until all the original members of the GD leave this earth to start talking smack like that.

i've just been given one more reason not to go see DSO. i've never seen them and won't be buying tickets anytime soon.
We will all be together for ever and ever when we make it to the promised land
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#215604 1 year, 11 months ago
Chester wrote:
Cool article. I can't believe all those tapes were allowed to deteriorate so much. Imagine if you bought those.
Greed. The guy would rather live in squalor than take the 1000% profit (more than generous for something they likely can't release but in parts and would obtain just to fill the open slots in the vault). Fuck people like him. The next person to get them will likely be a grateful, more reasonable person. "Free money. Sure, I'll take $25K for that garbage."
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by ZenoMarx.
teafortexas
Expert Boarder
Dancin on a pin

#215610 1 year, 11 months ago
Probably something Eaton would like to take back

Miss DSO at your peril. If you have philosophical issues with seeing DSO, I can respect that. If it's for any other reason, you are missing out big time. They are hitting a good stride right now and are well worth a leap of faith. I love Furthur, but these guys are the real deal.

That said, Eaton didn't win any style points for his comments, regardless of the context.
Everybody is either making love...Or else expecting rain
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#215624 1 year, 11 months ago
I'm not defending or acting as official Eaton Apologist. Again, I am not.

He's done quite a bit for the taping and sharing community. You'll find his name in a lot of places. Doesn't give ANYONE license to be a dick. I think it would be fair to assume there is a lot more to that story than just face value from a journalist quote (never believe a thing they say). To borrow a profound and sharp line from Lieutenant Fancy of NYPD Blue, "Everything is a situation."
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Bacon Rocks
Senior Boarder

#215626 1 year, 11 months ago
what a fun read, i really enjoyed that, thank you for the link.
i find most articles on the grateful dead to be rather trite, but not this one.
as far as the comment by rob (aka fake bob!!) i am shocked at his animosity towards john, would of thought he would of been proud. Does not change my mind about DSO, they are an incredible band.
I was standing at the corner
Talking to Miss Brown
deadegad
Platinum Boarder

#215635 1 year, 11 months ago
I just discovered this article and came to this forum and here it is already.

Can you imagine finding a mythical barn near Terrapin Station with long lost Dead tapes and maybe a bail of dynamite weed w/ a box of Cheetos and a case of Snapples. . .. Simply Awesome.

Do you know why the Saudis have all the oil and the the Dead heads have all of the Dead tapes?

Because the Dead heads had first pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by deadegad.
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#215741 1 year, 11 months ago
1. FUCK! I'd surely take ANYTHING they want from me to return those tapes to the vault. $100,000?!?!?! SURE! $4?!?! ALRIGHT! Anything to have the masses hear the stuff they aren't hearing. Why be greedy?!?!

ugh.

2. Agreed on the thought of Eaton sounding bitter. It just seemed like an unnecessary remark. But I got a chuckle out of comparing seeing Furthur to watching your ex fuck another guy. haha
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds